JessN: CLEMSON PREVIEW: Is this Tiger team more Clemson ’16 or Clemson ’17?

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Re: Clemson preview: Is this Tiger team more Clemson ’16 or Clemson ’17?

I think the 24-34 point range is correct scoring for both teams, but I think it will be closer, 31-28 Bama.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I feel like we are pretty evenly matched but here's where I think we push ahead and win:

Tua
Our receivers/including Jacobs
CNS

I've often wondered why Jess doesn't include coaching in these but I guess it would always be in Bama's favor and upset the even eight categories.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005

This is unarguably the best Alabama offense in history. The numbers don't lie, and that's with playing aTm and LSU and Georgia and OU (well, maybe shouldn't have mentioned them). I know that Clemson is good. I know that. No one can deny how good they are, but if the best offense in Bama history can't win this game then I don't know what to say. I think they will.

rtr

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia

How do you think Clemson would do in the SEC West? People said UCF couldn’t play an SEC schedule. Could Clemson? Seems Bama’s schedule has them better prepared/battled tested for this game and the resilience will pay off late in the game.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018

Me too--it's the weirdest thing, unless Saban is playing mind games. Either that or Terrell hurt himself again and nobody is saying anything about it. Seems linebacker injuries just won't stop.
I have often wondered if the reduced size of D-Linemen and reduced size of LB's, all in effort to be faster and just quicker on defense has led to more injuries for this group? I don't believe much of our injuries at that position have been true contact injuries, rather, injuries from over-strain and over-use. So, that would negate my question about size. All that said, we lost Donte Hightower to a contact injury in 2009, I believe it was, and he was of more traditional LB size, so, who knows?

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018

How do you think Clemson would do in the SEC West? People said UCF couldn’t play an SEC schedule. Could Clemson? Seems Bama’s schedule has them better prepared/battled tested for this game and the resilience will pay off late in the game.
This year's Clemson team would probably be one loss in the West, and that would have been to Alabama. They would have beaten all others, and did beat the one team from the West they did play. They have also played Auburn in recent years, in addition to Alabama, and have been pretty good doing so. They would pound to death EVERYONE in the east, except maybe UGA, and all that depends on is which UGA team shows up to play them. They beat USCe with ease most every year. Forget all the points they gave up to them this year; that was all about Deebo Samuel.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama

" If Alabama can keep Tagovailoa relatively unmolested...".
A lot of truth in this "if". I don't see any way for Clemson to stop Bama's offense, but to go full throttle after Tua. I think the OL giving Tua just a little time is crucial.

Nice write up Jess!

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN

Guys Surtain was “picked on” because of strategy and I’m sticking to it. The more I think about it it’s clear. Bama was in a defacto prevent defense. Look at how long it took OK to move the ball. They had 1 and only 1 real breakdown for the long TD pass but otherwise it’s keep the WR in front of you and live with dink and dunk. That was a quick strike offense that is used to scoring in less than 2 minutes. Why else would the coaches NOT change where they had him line up? Why else would you not give him safety help? Surtain did his job and not guarantee you that it will be a wholly different strategy for Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Surtain had a few issues with Lamb but there were at least 2-3 of those receptions that Lamb had an obvious push off including the TD. The fade to the 2 early on, Surtain just never picked up the ball. I think he will recover fine this week. We just need to make sure we don't give them the easy long balls. Against ND at least 3 of their scores were over the top or break away by the RB and not long 10 play drives. If we keep TUA clean and healthy, we win 10-14 points.

Thanks Jess for a good write up. I always look forward to your analysis, especially the big games. thanks again.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

Even with that, had our DBs caught balls they would normally have caught we would have had at least 2 TOs and OU would have had 10 or more fewer points.
This is a GREAT point. I noticed 3 on the replay that were sooooo close to being picked. All three I believe would later result in points. It’s also one reason I wanted CNS to score at the end. I realize he doesn’t care but it would have been a totally different lens had the final been 18 points instead of 11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

IDK, I just think people are giving Clemson way too much credit for what was a mostly weak schedule. I just have this feeling that Bama is going to shock a lot of people with their dominance. I think the defense that gave up 500+ yards to USCe is going to have a hard time slowing down this Bama offense. Maybe it's just my crimson glasses but, that's how I feel.

12Namath12

Suspended
Sep 24, 2016
Birmingham

Don't forget about our dynamic offense. One of college football's best ever when functioning 100%.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012

" If Alabama can keep Tagovailoa relatively unmolested...".
A lot of truth in this "if". I don't see any way for Clemson to stop Bama's offense, but to go full throttle after Tua. I think the OL giving Tua just a little time is crucial.

Nice write up Jess!
I'm sure Clemson realizes we will try to attack through the air more than running into their meat-grinding DL, and fairly sure that we realize this too, though I'd still expect at least 15-20 combined carries from us. I hope we go out of our way to preserve Tua. I'm sure we'll see several quick slants, but they may be best served to roll him out and reestablish the pocket, pass more out of max-protect two TE/three wide sets, etc. I can just see Wilkins pounding him on a five-step drop during a developing route.

I also hope this game more than any other will push the staff to "take the restrictor plate off". We've seen flashes of brilliance all year long, but we've not been in a position to see a full game of it that he wasn't injured in. It feels like fans know that he has 500 just as well as 300 yards in him, but it would be nice to make a real run at seeing it happen, especially if the ultimate prize is riding on it.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

Thank you, Jess a great preview! We need to "affect" the QB as CNS says. He's obviously very talented but I don't think he's been hit a lot this year. We also need to shut Justyn Ross down just because. Renfroe is 35 years old now so hopefully he won't be a factor! RTR!

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

Boy... I sure hope you're right!

Alanbama27

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
Hoover, Alabama, USA

Jess, I haven’t commented all year but your overall breakdown is dramatically different than most pundits. First, there is nobody in the country outside of you apparently that believes Clemson’s RB’s are equal to much less better than Bama’s. I have no clue where that comes from as it’s not warranted under any conclusions. Second, Both lines Clemson’s vs. Bama’s O is a push at best for Clemson and vice versa there is no answer anywhere for QW! Bama’s receivers are so far ahead of likely any receiving unit in the nation it’s not even a contest, especially when you take into account Clemson’s DB’s. Clemson does have an intangible that makes them dangerous but without the real threat of a rushing QB that is a huge equalizer that benefits Bama.

Anyway, I like your score but how we get there with your breakdown doesn’t equate but I’ll take it! RDT!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Jess, I haven’t commented all year but your overall breakdown is dramatically different than most pundits. First, there is nobody in the country outside of you apparently that believes Clemson’s RB’s are equal to much less better than Bama’s. I have no clue where that comes from as it’s not warranted under any conclusions. Second, Both lines Clemson’s vs. Bama’s O is a push at best for Clemson and vice versa there is no answer anywhere for QW! Bama’s receivers are so far ahead of likely any receiving unit in the nation it’s not even a contest, especially when you take into account Clemson’s DB’s. Clemson does have an intangible that makes them dangerous but without the real threat of a rushing QB that is a huge equalizer that benefits Bama.

Anyway, I like your score but how we get there with your breakdown doesn’t equate but I’ll take it! RDT!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Patently untrue. I've seen several pundits state the same.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Patently untrue. I've seen several pundits state the same.
As have I. And, to be clear, their stats are incredible. But I think that Alabama can shut them down. That's all that matters.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.