JessN: CLEMSON PREVIEW: Is this Tiger team more Clemson ’16 or Clemson ’17?

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Clemson preview: Is this Tiger team more Clemson ’16 or Clemson ’17?
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
January 4th, 2019 03:30 AM

If you're into comparative analysis, the big question heading into the College Football Playoff championship round is whether this Clemson team more resembles the Clemson of 2016, which defeated Alabama on the final drive to win the title that year, or the Clemson of 2017, which bore more of a resemblance to its in-state rival South Carolina than the Tiger team that had defeated Alabama 12 months prior.

Read More Here

ESPN BROADCAST OPTIONS

Last edited by a moderator:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Re: Clemson preview: Is this Tiger team more Clemson ’16 or Clemson ’17?

Jess, this is the way I see it. But I think the loss of Miller and the most inconsistent inside linebacker play of the Saban era makes this a scary call.

In the end, we’ll see how Clemson reacts to getting punched in the mouth. Last year, they did not appear to appreciate the taste of their own blood.

Last edited:

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia

Jess, this is the way I see it. But I think the loss of Miller and the most inconsistent inside linebacker play of the Saban era makes this a scary call.

In the end, we’ll see how Clemson reacts to getting punched in the mouth. Last year, they did not appear to appreciate the taste of their own blood.
Block or be blocked seems to be the key for both teams. Lawrence’s and Dexter Brown’s absences cancel each other out but if Christian can’t go, we are entering unchartered waters and may just have to outscore them. Thanks Jess for the really good work you do.

Last edited:

SkullDuckery

1st Team
Dec 28, 2015

Great write up. Agree with everything but RB. Josh Jacobs is the best in the country and it’s about time he was recognized for it. For that reason alone we should have that advantage.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Thanks for the write-up.

Last edited:

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005

Well, it does make me feel better to read Jess' call on the game, but it simply does come down to who makes fewer stupid mistakes, and we showed a propensity for such things last week. Hopefully we had our 'B' or even 'C+' game last week, and our 'A' game is ahead of us. If not it will be a shame to see a team of such greatness not meet their full potential.

rtr

The way the grouping we’re going I was sure you were going to pick Clemson. I believe it will be close for a good bit of the game with Bama pulling things out that they haven’t done before and they tire out the Clemson defense. Great Championship preview, Jess!

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL

Also the way I see it, and our score predictions are almost identical - mine in the score prediction thread was 31-24.

As I said in that thread, I can easily see it even closer and MORE “mired in the trenches” at something like 24-20, as the key to this game for both teams will be all about pass protection. I think we hold a slim edge here, as I don’t think they will have an answer for QW. At the same time, Tua needs to be fully healthy, getting the ball out quick and on his game, because Clemson will bring the pressure and have some success. When he’s healthy, Tua’s mobility far exceeds TL’s.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012

I just sit here confused on how Terrell Lewis appeared to be returning a month ago and now...?

I guess I just got my hopes up for nothing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

I just sit here confused on how Terrell Lewis appeared to be returning a month ago and now...?

Me too--it's the weirdest thing, unless Saban is playing mind games. Either that or Terrell hurt himself again and nobody is saying anything about it. Seems linebacker injuries just won't stop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

Thanks, Jess. Good analysis. This will be one of those games that will be nerve-racking until the clock hits 0:00. I expect a stressful game and lots of Tums for me. :)

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Clemson preview: Is this Tiger team more Clemson ’16 or Clemson ’17?

Guys Surtain was “picked on” because of strategy and I’m sticking to it. The more I think about it it’s clear. Bama was in a defacto prevent defense. Look at how long it took OK to move the ball. They had 1 and only 1 real breakdown for the long TD pass but otherwise it’s keep the WR in front of you and live with dink and dunk. That was a quick strike offense that is used to scoring in less than 2 minutes. Why else would the coaches NOT change where they had him line up? Why else would you not give him safety help? Surtain did his job and not guarantee you that it will be a wholly different strategy for Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

Thanks, Jess. Good analysis. This will be one of those games that will be nerve-racking until the clock hits 0:00. I expect a stressful game and lots of Tums for me. :)
Get that feeling too. I have only been nervous before and during 1 game and that was UGA. There strength at the secondary and depth overall on defense worried me. I had ZERO concern about OK. Clemson has the DL and depth that can stay with Bama’s physicality but their weakness in the secondary will hopefully be exploited consistently by Tua and the Crimson Hydra at WR. My wish is that we get balance on offense to help the defense stay fresh.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

Guys Surtain was “picked on” because of strategy and I’m sticking to it. The more I think about it it’s clear. Bama was in a defacto prevent defense. Look at how long it took OK to move the ball. They had 1 and only 1 real breakdown for the long TD pass but otherwise it’s keep the WR in front of you and live with dink and dunk. That was a quick strike offense that is used to scoring in less than 2 minutes. Why else would the coaches NOT change where they had him line up? Why else would you not give him safety help? Surtain did his job and not guarantee you that it will be a wholly different strategy for Monday.

I agree - we completely changed both offensive and defensive play calling once we were up big so that we could shorten the game, consuming clock on offense ourselves and force OU to have to march down the field and earn every yard instead of giving up a big play on a quick strike. Even with that, had our DBs caught balls they would normally have caught we would have had at least 2 TOs and OU would have had 10 or more fewer points.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

My understanding is the staff decided to shut him down. Not sure as to why, though.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011

Great write up as usual Jess. But I will still take our running backs any day over Dabo's boys.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011

Great write up Jess, I have been thinking all week it's a 9 to 11 point win for Bama, I think the big edge if there is one is with Tua, He needs to be on his A game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.