Question: Why do most people think Tua will go into the draft after next season?

ecraj

Scout Team
Jan 24, 2009
Florence, AL
I'm always hearing that Tua will be the No.1 NFL draft pick after next season. I've heard Tua say in interviews that he wasn't sure where he was going to play college ball and that his parents made the decision for him to go to Alabama. Tua explained that the Hawaiian culture is different, and as being a teenager you do what your parents want you to do, without second guessing them. None of us have a crystal ball although some of us think we do. I guess what i'm getting at is how do we know his parents won't demand he finish out his college playing career as a senior?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Because he should, assuming he can do as Jalen did and graduate. I would hate to see him leave without his degree, but if he has that and he is playing at the level he is now he'd be a top 10 pick most likely, and in very good shape financially. And he will have accomplished a very great deal at Alabama.

rtr

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Previous posters have already nailed the answer, but I understand your question: would Tua stay for his senior year if his parents demanded it. Sure he would. Extreme parental reverence is part of the culture, and honestly a very admirable part, IMO.

But given his talent and skill set, and given the risk/reward analysis of staying vs moving on, his parents would be some serious level of foolish to demand such a thing. Very possible if not likely that he’s not just A top pick, but rather THE top pick. That kind of financial security for him, his family, and their descendants shouldn’t be put at ANY risk.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Because he is basically elite at all the traits a QB needs to succeed in the NFL. The biggest knock on him seems to be his height and arm strength.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
CNS has ALWAYS encouraged his players to go if they are a top end Rd 1 pick. This will not change. Love me some Tua but there is no chance he’ll play at Bama beyond next season. Let’s enjoy his wonderful historical talent while he’s still here!!! RTR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The top pick in the draft is guaranteed around $30M. You don't pass up on generational money like that. Also, I've never heard Tua say he doesn't like playing football so not sure where that's coming from..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Because he is basically elite at all the traits a QB needs to succeed in the NFL. The biggest knock on him seems to be his height and arm strength.
He obviously doesn't have Jamarcus Russell or Josh Allen type arm strength but that's somewhat mitigated by Tua's ultra quick release. IMO, Tua has at least average arm strength IRT NFL QBs and probably above average but not elite. All in all when you take into account his release and decision making he has more than enough arm talent to be the top pick in the draft or one of the top picks..

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Wait til you see the measurements on his hands though. He’s bigger and stronger than Baker Mayfield and you saw where he went.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yea I remember when it first came out last year or something. Tua's hands are huge

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
He obviously doesn't have Jamarcus Russell or Josh Allen type arm strength but that's somewhat mitigated by Tua's ultra quick release. IMO, Tua has at least average arm strength IRT NFL QBs and probably above average but not elite. All in all when you take into account his release and decision making he has more than enough arm talent to be the top pick in the draft or one of the top picks..
Yea. His arm strength is good enough to make the throws especially with his mental processing and quick release. I've just seen a couple reporter/analyst types mention it a few times now. Besides, arm strength is probably the most overrated trait in the NFL. Sure its great if you can get a Mahomes or Rodgers but for every one of those there are a billion Ryan Mallets.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't think Brees' arm is materially stronger, but they share a lot of the rest of a QB's game. So-called "arm strength" doesn't come from the arm, anyway...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
With Justin Herbert returning to Oregon, the #1 overall pick in the 2020 draft will be a battle between Tua and Herbert. Dwayne Haskins could return and factor into that battle, too. Jake Fromm could be a possibility, but it's very unlikely.

To the OP, he's gone because he needs to get his while he can.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
He may leave after next year, but historically most QBs have not left early for the NFL. As most have said, I suspect he will follow his family's decision to either stay or leave.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
He may leave after next year, but historically most QBs have not left early for the NFL. As most have said, I suspect he will follow his family's decision to either stay or leave.
Has there ever been a QB who was projected as the top pick in the draft come back to school? I think your statement is relevant to guys who might have a mid to late round grade but most guys who are locks to be a top pick leave..

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Has there ever been a QB who was projected as the top pick in the draft come back to school? I think your statement is relevant to guys who might have a mid to late round grade but most guys who are locks to be a top pick leave..
Was Peyton Manning the projected to be the top pick when he opted to stay another year? He is the most notable QB I can remember staying when he could have easily left early and at least been a top 10 pick. But maybe I am remembering that wrong. I wanted him to leave and was disappointed that he didn't.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.