Dru Samia - why no penalty in CFP Semi?

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Re: Dru Samia

Saban suspended Davis over similar actions ... anyone think Samia gets the same?

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

Well, they have "Samia." WE have the Samoan. That said, IDK if Samia is coming back next year or not...
Haha good catch, typed on my cell so the good ole autocorrect took effect. I fixed it :)

It will be interesting to see what clr does if Samia returns. For some reason I'm thinking noting happens

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com

Dru Samia is a senior and has finished his career at OU. The prevailing Sooner perspective is that Q was roughing the passer and Samia was simply trying to defend/protect his QB. Its simply a matter of opinion so not much to debate either way. Honestly, Sooner fans love the nasty, physical, relentless nature of our Oline. I think it's a manifestation of our disdain for how lacking in physicality our defense is. Samia was the co-winner of the Don Key award at OU presented to the player most representative of the qualities exemplified in all aspects of team play.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Dru Samia is a senior and has finished his career at OU. The prevailing Sooner perspective is that Q was roughing the passer and Samia was simply trying to defend/protect his QB. Its simply a matter of opinion so not much to debate either way. Honestly, Sooner fans love the nasty, physical, relentless nature of our Oline. I think it's a manifestation of our disdain for how lacking in physicality our defense is. Samia was the co-winner of the Don Key award at OU presented to the player most representative of the qualities exemplified in all aspects of team play.
Exactly what part of the tackle constituted roughing? I'm thinking if you want to protect your quarterback you should start with blocking someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Then explain to me how that “prevailing perspective” is correct? Did Q hit him late? No. Murray was still unloading the ball when Q hit him. Did he lead with the crown of his helmet? No. Was there even direct “helmet to helmet contact”? No. The right side of Willams’s helmet went to right of Murray’s. Matter of fact, outside of Q’s right arm going over Murray’s left shoulder, it was a perfectly legal, form tackle. What made it look bad was a) Murray’s height (or more correctly, lack there of) and b) the fact he was getting rid of the ball and “falling back” as he threw it, making him the equivalent stature of stand-in munchkin from the Wizard of Oz.
I guess Williams is suppose to stop and ask Murray to “standup straight while I get down on my knees and tackle you”.

I don’t care if Samia is a “great person”. At that moment he had visceral reaction to his QB getting his clock cleaned in an absolutely legal hit, lost his composure and committed a personal foul which should have been called and should have been ejected over. Period. End of statement.
As Earle said, go back and watch a replay. And it isn’t a “matter of opinion”. It is a matter of fact. By RULE. On William’s tackle and on Samia’s reaction.

Last edited:

pop11011

Scout Team
Jul 6, 2007

"presented to the player most representative of the qualities".......and there you have it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I don't have a problem with Samia clearing Q off of his QB. I think that it should have drawn a flag, but I generally like mean o-linemen who protect their QB, even if it means drawing the occasional flag, so it would be hypocritical of me to criticize him for what he did there. And I don't really have a problem with his style of play on the o-line during the game. He was holding, but it is the officials' job to call that and they didn't, so why should he stop? I wish that the Alabama and Ohio State players would learn to do that - if the officials are not going to call holding - HOLD.

I guess that my point is that I don't have a problem with the player. I have a problem with the officials.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

I think it was clear that he was protecting his QB, and fans will always love that type of team mentality; however, it should have been a penalty. It wasn't, though, so it doesn't really matter at this point.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I have come to the conclusion that the prevailing Sooner perspective is that of delusion.
I closed down their boards I was following. Right after the game, there were a few who really saw the truth, then the hypothesis started developing that they had really beaten us and it was their coach reinforcing it. Time to tune out...

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

Perhaps it is a good time/opportunity for OU to reevaluate the meaning of the Don Key award and the qualities sought in the recipient if Samia is indeed the true embodiment of the award. Perhaps our view is somewhat harsh given our limited sample size, but he's the one that gave us only that episode to base our opinion upon. A better option would have been for him to help his QB back to his feet, hand him his helmet, and apologize for getting beat on the play - a far better example of team play. Just saying...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Perhaps it is a good time/opportunity for OU to reevaluate the meaning of the Don Key award and the qualities sought in the recipient if Samia is indeed the true embodiment of the award. Perhaps our view is somewhat harsh given our limited sample size, but he's the one that gave us only that episode to base our opinion upon. A better option would have been for him to help his QB back to his feet, hand him his helmet, and apologize for getting beat on the play - a far better example of team play. Just saying...
True story. The guy loses the battle and instead of working to be better he lashes out against the guy that beat him fair and square. That's a loser attitude and indicative of why that team tends to lose in big games.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA

Exactly what part of the tackle constituted roughing? I'm thinking if you want to protect your quarterback you should start with blocking someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey, Q'***** was not late, and was not roughing. If someone had blocked him a little he wouldn't have had such a nice head of steam going. And Murray only came up to about Q's belly button. All he did was run over him. Samia should have gotten Unsportsmanlike #2 and left the game.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.