Dru Samia - why no penalty in CFP Semi?

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
You need to learn the rule. Helmet contact is not a penalty. You have to lead with the helmet, and there has to be forceful contact. Neither happened.

In the NFL - maybe - but not in the NCAA.
Lol. He basically said that tackling hard is a penalty.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Dru Samia

Lol yeah since when does tackling the QB as he throws the ball equal roughing the passer. Joke of a conference if that’s the way they see it. QBs are hit just as or just after they release the ball ALL THE TIME and it is not roughing. Because football at least hasn’t gotten that dumb yet.
The comical thing about the whole thing is that KM is so short, compared to QW, (QW - 6'4" and KM probably 5'7"), Q would have had to duck his head to tackle any other way and then he would have had to lead with the crown of his helmet, which would have been a foul...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Dru Samia

The comical thing about the whole thing is that KM is so short, compared to QW, (QW - 6'4" and KM probably 5'7"), Q would have had to duck his head to tackle any other way and then he would have had to lead with the crown of his helmet, which would have been a foul...
If Q had targeted Murray, Murray would have been carted off of the field.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
That guy has a history of dirty tactics any way and should have been tossed and flagged. But the refs at that point decided OU could get away with murder with no flags thrown...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I don’t have a problem with an OL protecting his QB from an overly aggressive defender. The way this happened is not acceptable, though. There are better ways to do it.
For me, this is the way refs lose control of a game (and they were dangerously close to losing control of the OU-Bama game). If you do not flag Samia, then other players (maybe on both teams) say to themselves, "They are really 'letting the players play' this game. maybe I can push the envelope myself next play."

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
For me, this is the way refs lose control of a game (and they were dangerously close to losing control of the OU-Bama game). If you do not flag Samia, then other players (maybe on both teams) say to themselves, "They are really 'letting the players play' this game. maybe I can push the envelope myself next play."
That happened in the LSU/UCF game.

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
Exactly what part of the tackle constituted roughing? I'm thinking if you want to protect your quarterback you should start with blocking someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even the two OU cheerleaders in the broadcast booth didn’t think it was roughing the passer.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.