Dru Samia - why no penalty in CFP Semi?

MisterBean

Oct 20, 2018
Rewatching the semi-final game and wondering how Dru Samia didn't get a penalty for jumping on Q?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: Dru Samia

Rewatching the semi-final game and wondering how Dru Samia didn't get a penalty for jumping on Q?
He's such a dirtbag - I'm just glad he has to live with the fact that in his best two years of college football his team made the playoffs but lost to an SEC team.

Supervir2

Dec 11, 2018

So, I fully understand why you all would be frustrated with the non-call, but to me it is a wash with Q going high on Kyler and then landing on his head the way he did. I realize the size difference between the two contributed to how that looked, but the entirety of it - not just the initial hit struck me as roughing the passer.

Texas_tide

Scout Team
Oct 16, 2018

Going high on Kyler.????? He’s like 5’2.
Q is 6’5.

Plus he’s elusive l, grab what you can.

Supervir2

Dec 11, 2018

Does that mean it isn’t a penalty? It is a perk of being small, just like a smaller strike zone in baseball.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

QW is about 8" taller than KM - how does he get into the chest area without hitting him with the crown of his helmet? KM is a midget, not much you can do there.
Keep in mind, in the Big 12 they don't hit one another. They ask for the opposing player's permission to gently lower them to the ground before tackling. That is, when they attempt to tackle at all.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Um, they basically kissed - their face masks hit eachother - how is that not high?
Go back and look. Williams left arm wraps around Murray’s chest under his right arm, his right arm goes over Murray’s left shoulder in a “wrap up” fashion at impact. William’s helmet passes to the right of Murray’s helmet....not face mask to face mask, not with the crown of the helmet. As the same time Murray is “falling back” getting rid of the football, lowering his body even more. If Williams right arm would have gone under Murray’s left arm it would have been a perfect form tackle.

The only way Williams could have hit Murray any lower would been to drop down to his knees and “crawl” after Murray. Now Williams is good, but he ain’t that good.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Um, they basically kissed - their face masks hit eachother - how is that not high?
You are totally wrong, even through the wrong-colored crimson glasses. Q carefully placed his head to the left, over KM's right shoulder - not even remotely head-on. That's why the whistle didn't blow. Sure there was side-glancing contact. KM's a midget, and the refs took that into account. Go back and review that play again before you post again...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

So, I fully understand why you all would be frustrated with the non-call, but to me it is a wash with Q going high on Kyler and then landing on his head the way he did. I realize the size difference between the two contributed to how that looked, but the entirety of it - not just the initial hit struck me as roughing the passer.
Q intentionally held off, trying not to hurt the poor fellow.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

Does that mean it isn’t a penalty? It is a perk of being small, just like a smaller strike zone in baseball.
No it means the Refs refused to flag Oklahoma on a obvious penalty.
The Refs were not anything to write home about, but they are something to notify the governing body over the Refs about... Terrible NO CALL.

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala

Q grabbed him around the shoulders, did not lead with his helmet or launch. How do you expect him to tackle him???????

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.