Dru Samia - why no penalty in CFP Semi?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: Dru Samia

Hey, Q'***** was not late, and was not roughing. If someone had blocked him a little he wouldn't have had such a nice head of steam going. And Murray only came up to about Q's belly button. All he did was run over him. Samia should have gotten PF #2 and left the game.
And you landed on the reason for no whistle. It would have inconsistent with the refs' major effort to level the playing field...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

There was nothing at all illegal about the play until Samia threw the punch. And to top it all, the moron hit his QB in the face, not Q! He did more damage to Murray than Q did and is the reason Murray had to leave the game for a play.

IMO, that entire sequence was a microcosm if the entire Oklahoma effort. Completely misguided, and an utter failure. If that made OU fans proud, then the mighty have fallen far further than I had imagined.

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
I get it...

The Don Key (better known as the “DONKEY” award)...

He was the co-recipient of the DONKEY award...shared with the ref who didn’t throw a flag for his flagrant personal foul...

Both showing equal abilities for being a DONKEY!!!

Dru Samia is a senior and has finished his career at OU. The prevailing Sooner perspective is that Q was roughing the passer and Samia was simply trying to defend/protect his QB. Its simply a matter of opinion so not much to debate either way. Honestly, Sooner fans love the nasty, physical, relentless nature of our Oline. I think it's a manifestation of our disdain for how lacking in physicality our defense is. Samia was the co-winner of the Don Key award at OU presented to the player most representative of the qualities exemplified in all aspects of team play.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I will say this, I actually have no problem with the Oklahoma player doing what he thought he had to (I'm willing to give him the benefit of a doubt in terms of motivation), to protect his quarterback.

I do have a major problem with the fact that an obvious and fairly egregious penalty not being called. That was simply dereliction of duty on the part of the refs.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

Hey, Q'***** was not late, and was not roughing. If someone had blocked him a little he wouldn't have had such a nice head of steam going. And Murray only came up to about Q's belly button. All he did was run over him. Samia should have gotten PF #2 and left the game.
Players are not ejected for multiple personal foul calls. I think you are confusing this with unsportsmanlike penalties; the 2nd gets a payer ejected. Or, do you mean OU's coach would have pulled him?

Jay Hughes

All-SEC
Aug 28, 2008
Newnan, GA
Players are not ejected for multiple personal foul calls. I think you are confusing this with unsportsmanlike penalties; the 2nd gets a payer ejected. Or, do you mean OU's coach would have pulled him?
Is unsportsmanlike conduct not a personal foul???

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA

No, that's my bad, I meant it should have been his second unsportsmanlike penalty which would mean ejection.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
No, that's my bad, I meant it should have been his second unsportsmanlike penalty which would mean ejection.
And both of those shots to Williams’ head while he was on the ground could have been interpreted as punches which is an automatic ejection.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Here he is, being ejected from their WVU game. I guess the fans' hearts swelled with pride over this...

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018

No it means the Refs refused to flag Oklahoma on a obvious penalty.
The Refs were not anything to write home about, but they are something to notify the governing body over the Refs about... Terrible NO CALL.
Okie fans can minimize Samia and maximize Williams hit on Murray any way that helps them sleep at night but I would challenge them to look at OU's #18 on a blitz deliver a late hit on Tua the first play of the 4th quarter. I don't know his number but again at the 6:20 mark an OU player blitzed and made a hit almost 1 second after Tua threw the ball.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

I will say this, I actually have no problem with the Oklahoma player doing what he thought he had to (I'm willing to give him the benefit of a doubt in terms of motivation), to protect his quarterback.
I do have a major problem with the fact that an obvious and fairly egregious penalty not being called. That was simply dereliction of duty on the part of the refs.
Exactly this. He did what would be expected. But, there is a price to be paid for that, and he didn't have to pay it because the ref shirked his duty. Why that happened is another story. Is the ref a moron or did he make a biased decision to help keep Oklahoma's awesome, vaunted, high-powered, once-in-a-lifetime, Heisman trophy worthy, offensive juggernaut myth alive? There is nothing in between those two choices IMO.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Agree to disagree - if he wants to protect the QB, he needs to do his job. I give no quarter for willful cheating (cheap shots) like that.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don’t have a problem with an OL protecting his QB from an overly aggressive defender. The way this happened is not acceptable, though. There are better ways to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supervir2

Dec 11, 2018
A penalty in Samia would have been fair, but we’re clearly on two sides of this in regards to the tackle. I won’t continue to argue other than to say I watched some replays before I initially posted and again after. Their masks have to hit some. Your head goes toward the person tackling you as your body moves backwards until your body is stopped by something but you clearly see kyler’s head pop back before that which says Q’s mask/helmet is the cause. Do I think the form of the tackle was wrong? No. Do I think he targeted? No. Do I realize that Q is much larger and that impacts things? Sure. Did their helmets hit enough to knock kyler’s back? Yes, and in my mind, that’s a foul and I’d say the same thing if we did it to Tua.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
A penalty in Samia would have been fair, but we’re clearly on two sides of this in regards to the tackle. I won’t continue to argue other than to say I watched some replays before I initially posted and again after. Their masks have to hit some. Your head goes toward the person tackling you as your body moves backwards until your body is stopped by something but you clearly see kyler’s head pop back. Do I think the form of the tackle was wrong? No. Do I think he targeted? No. Do I realize that Q is much larger and that impacts things? Sure. Did their helmets hit enough to knock kyler’s back? Yes, and in my mind, that’s a foul and I’d say the same thing if we did it to Tua.
You need to learn the rule. Helmet contact is not a penalty. You have to lead with the helmet, and there has to be forceful contact. Neither happened.

In the NFL - maybe - but not in the NCAA.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
A penalty in Samia would have been fair, but we’re clearly on two sides of this in regards to the tackle. I won’t continue to argue other than to say I watched some replays before I initially posted and again after. Their masks have to hit some. Your head goes toward the person tackling you as your body moves backwards until your body is stopped by something but you clearly see kyler’s head pop back before that which says Q’s mask/helmet is the cause. Do I think the form of the tackle was wrong? No. Do I think he targeted? No. Do I realize that Q is much larger and that impacts things? Sure. Did their helmets hit enough to knock kyler’s back? Yes, and in my mind, that’s a foul and I’d say the same thing if we did it to Tua.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
We call this “tackling” in the SEC. Every Saturday we do a bunch of it. And guess what? Those SEC refs use the same book (supposedly) the Big 12 guys do. And that would never be flagged in the SEC. Why? Because what you just said. It wasn’t late, the player didn’t lead with his helmet, the player didn’t make contact the crown, and he didn’t launch himself, and it wasn’t flagrant. Even if the face masks did contact, FACEMASK to FACEMASK ISN’T A FOUL. If it was, you could call it on most every play in traffic with a running back.

Tune in some Saturday to the SEC. You may learn something. Better yet, tell Ruffin McNeil and Mike Stoops to tune in. Looks like they could learn a thing or two.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You need also to re-read the rule. You don't even begin to understand it. In this particular case, the officials got it completely right. Your boy Samia was totally in the wrong and should have been tossed...

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

Exactly what part of the tackle constituted roughing? I'm thinking if you want to protect your quarterback you should start with blocking someone.

Lol yeah since when does tackling the QB as he throws the ball equal roughing the passer. Joke of a conference if that’s the way they see it. QBs are hit just as or just after they release the ball ALL THE TIME and it is not roughing. Because football at least hasn’t gotten that dumb yet.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I would love to hear your justification for no OPI calls on Lamb.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.