Game Thread: NCAA FCS championship (NDSU vs E. Wash)

tjamz

Jan 7, 2019
Re: Game thread: NCAA FCS championship

Think the previous coach left for Wyoming and didn’t do so well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He won the Mountain West in 2016 his third year there and got the MW Coach of the Year award and has been bowl eligible 2 of 5 years.

From a football only perspective Wyoming was likely a step down from NDSU and the MWC was likely a lateral move talent wise from the MVFC. However, money talks and he tripled his salary.

Why do I say Wyoming is a step down? Well, for starters they are more remote/desolate than any out the Dakota schools or even Montana, getting recruits in and out rewrites that they fly into Denver (iirc) and then get bused to Laramie. Fargo has an international airport less than a mile from campus. Even at Wyoming he's often going after the same level of recruits that ND State does and loses those battles because, let's be honest, there is zero chance that Wyoming will ever play in the CFP or a really good bowl game. How do you pitch that to a recruit:

Yeah, if you go to Fargo you'll get to play for national championships, but if you come to Laramie there's a good chance that you'll get to play in the Drano Toilet Bowl!

I'd argue that FCS is tier 2 behind P5 and ahead of G5 conferences.

Sorry for the long rant (especially for a first post)

Good luck in your upcoming game. Go get another Natty

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

lazlohollyfeld

1st Team
Jul 20, 2010
Allen, TX

Why do I say Wyoming is a step down? Well, for starters they are more remote/desolate than any out the Dakota schools or even Montana, getting recruits in and out rewrites that they fly into Denver (iirc) and then get bused to Laramie. Fargo has an international airport less than a mile from campus. Even at Wyoming he's often going after the same level of recruits that ND State does and loses those battles because, let's be honest, there is zero chance that Wyoming will ever play in the CFP or a really good bowl game. How do you pitch that to a recruit:
I have been to both. Fargo is like Metropolis compared to Laramie. In fact, I think metro Fargo and metro Tuscaloosa are pretty similar in size. Laramie is a speck.

Of course I am biased as I have to go to Fargo 4-5 times a year for work.

edbrewer

Jan 7, 2019

NDSU began their transition from Division 2 to the FCS in 2004. They were not even eligible for the FCS playoffs until 2008.

During the 4 year transition (technically not yet D1/FCS) they went 3-1 vs. FBS schools.

tjamz

Jan 7, 2019

NDSU began their transition from Division 2 to the FCS in 2004. They were not even eligible for the FCS playoffs until 2008.

During the 4 year transition (technically not yet D1/FCS) they went 3-1 vs. FBS schools.
Overall NDSU is 9-3 vs FBS competition. I'd love to see them get more FBS teams on the schedule. I'm guessing aside from FBS powers, a lot of teams are hesitant to return their calls.

Definitely looking forward to Oregon in 2020.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.