Merchants charging extra for credit card usage - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Re: Merchants charging extra for credit usage

My credit cards are for travel/gas only. I pay them off every month anyway and I get an alert when it is used for anything.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

There is a small mom/pop restaurant where I live that doesn’t take plastic. Every now and then someone gripes about it on the local Facebook page we have the same conversation we are having here.

Someone posted on there once the city utilities (not sure exactly which one) charges a fee for using a credit card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Our online auto license tag renewal charges a fee if paying with credit card so we use electronic check for it.

We wear our credit card out taking advantage of the rewards along with the convenience. I hate fooling with coins.
    Last edited by day-day; January 21st, 2019 at 06:54 PM.

BamaNation All-American AlistarWills's Avatar

Just to add to this...just found that UAH tacks on an extra 2.85% to whatever you are paying if you use credit to pay tuition/fees and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    There is a small mom/pop restaurant where I live that doesn’t take plastic. Every now and then someone gripes about it on the local Facebook page we have the same conversation we are having here.

Someone posted on there once the city utilities (not sure exactly which one) charges a fee for using a credit card.

Alagasco now Spire and Alabama Power have been doing it for years.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post
    Yep - it’s still a “relatively” free country.
    Does anyone still write checks?
    I like the freedom to call out price gouging and egregious behavior that makes life tougher on consumers.

Yep, my wife and whatever woman is in front of me in the check out line at Wal Mart.

FB|BB Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by twofbyc View Post
    Yep - it’s still a “relatively” free country.
    Does anyone still write checks?
    I like the freedom to call out price gouging and egregious behavior that makes life tougher on consumers.

After some reflection, I don't see it as gouging.

Yes, it is expensive, but the consumer has other options easily available. And as I mentioned in my original thoughts, if the merchant won't accept the method of payment the consumer is offering, the consumer is free to find one that will.

To me, gouging is charging an outrageous price when (or, more often, precisely because) the consumer has true need of the product, and no realistic options.

An example would be charging $50 for a bag of ice in an area where the electrical grid was wiped out by a natural disaster, and it's the only ice within 50 miles. Even then, you can make the economic argument that, as distasteful as the price is, it will attract others to bring ice into the area way sooner than if it were the normal $2.50 a bag.

So if you're in the affected area, but not the poor schmuck having to fork over $50, you actually benefit from the gouging by getting more access to more ice sooner than you would have if the gouging hadn't existed.

Put another way, we don't view a hotel in New Orleans charging $500 a night for the CFPNCG, when the room normally goes for half that, as gouging. Expensive? Yes. Taking advantage of the inelastic demand curve? Definitely.

But gouging? No. Because, while they may want to go to the game really badly, nobody truly needs to go to the game. Plus, if they want to go all that much, but don't want to pay the New Orleans price, they can stay somewhere else and drive in -- the outskirts of New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Biloxi, or Slidell, for example.

So to put themselves in the position of forking over $500 for a $250 room, they have to make two choices, neither of which are forced, and both of which have multiple alternative options. First, they have to decide to go to the game. Second, they have to decide to stay in a prime location within walking distance of the stadium. In other words, they freely chose to pay $500.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; June 22nd, 2019 at 10:31 AM.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaHoHo View Post
    Alagasco now Spire and Alabama Power have been doing it for years.
    May be legal reasons the utilities do that.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Go Bama's Avatar

I accept all credit cards in an effort to remove any barriers to immediate payment. It’s a lot less expensive for me to pay the CC fee than to pay an employ and postage to send statements.

BamaNation All-American crimson fan man's Avatar

I use a CC for everything except bills which I pay still with a check. I love the convenience of the card and the awards are good. I always pay them off every month because I don't want the interest. The last time I let one go was in 1989. The pain of paying the CC off was something that I will not forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post

When we visited my daughter and husband in Pralognan, France back in September, we were going to take them out one last night. There is a very nice little restaurant in a narrow little valley called "Prioux," owned by the mayor and her husband. I had notified my bank before leaving as to where I'd be, so my debit card worked fine everywhere. Except this little restaurant. I suppose the oil lamps on the tables should have tipped me off - no net at all, so no working debit card. We had to combine all the Euros we had between the four of us to pay the bill. My SIL, Dominik, had wanted to tip the chef separately but he couldn't. I say the debit card worked everywhere, but it didn't in the Amsterdam airport, where we had lunch in a nice restaurant. Our server, who was very good, brought the card back to me and I apologized, saying it had worked everywhere in the French Alps. He had me accompany him back to the register, so I could seem him try it again. It failed again. He kept insisting that it had to be their machine. I finally prevailed in giving him a credit card. When I got home, I found out why. The restaurant was using an Irish bank. As my bank officer told me - "Mr. Self, you didn't tell us you were going to Ireland"...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation All-American sabanball's Avatar

Don't have an issue where the merchant passes the actual cost of using a credit card on to the person using a credit card. Mom and pop shops are usually operating on very slim margins and have to watch every penny in order to keep their head above water.