Santa Clara weather.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I'm no expert, but I would think that one of the important criteria in selecting the stadium in which to play the championship might be quality of the playing surface. It appears the deciders really whiffed on this one.
They got their check, that was the only concern at the time.

I will cut them a little slack though. When Levi Stadium was selected in 2015, it had only been open for 1 year. If there were concerns about the field during that first year, the CFP probably thought the folks at Levi Stadium would sort it out over the next 4 years. Unfortunately...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They got their check, that was the only concern at the time.

I will cut them a little slack though. When Levi Stadium was selected in 2015, it had only been open for 1 year. If there were concerns about the field during that first year, the CFP probably thought the folks at Levi Stadium would sort it out over the next 4 years. Unfortunately...
It's not the stadium, it is the location of the stadium. This was a virtual certainty when they booked it. This is typical weather for this time of year in the bay area.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I would hope that they would have some sort of water extraction system under the turf to aid in drying out the field and not rely simply on gravity and evaporation.:conf3:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I would hope that they would have some sort of water extraction system under the turf to aid in drying out the field and not rely simply on gravity and evaporation.:conf3:
They can't roll the turf to force out the water - the turf is too new and has not yet rooted. They are going to have to use fans. But the good news is that they also just put down a new layer of sand under the turf, so that may help with drainage.

Trying to stay positive.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
They can't roll the turf to force out the water - the turf is too new and has not yet rooted. They are going to have to use fans. But the good news is that they also just put down a new layer of sand under the turf, so that may help with drainage.

Trying to stay positive.
When M & T Stadium (Ravens) switched from artificial to natural grass they installed pumps and heaters under the substrate to help with rain and cold. I'm guessing that something similar may have been done for the 49ers.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
The field was completely covered during the rain. I am sure that the tarp will come off as weather permits today. The NFL has put a tremendous effort into solving the turf problems at the stadium along with West Coast Turf. They have made significant changes to the turf (a new Bermuda variety) and the sand growth medium underneath the turf. The new Bermuda variety is grown in a plastic mesh and is immediately available for play once it is laid down. West Coast Turf has three exact field replicas with crown and drainage tiles where they grow the turf prior to laying on the field.

Good article on the effort to solve the problems at the stadium.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/sports/5168637-181/much-maligned-field-at-levis-stadium

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.