Pronouns and the Tide. What to do?

GboyBama

3rd Team
May 7, 2010
Mobile, AL
Is anyone else aware that the Crimson Tide is a singular entity? Why do all media of note say "the Crimson Tide are" instead of "is?" Doesn't anyone else remember the old trivia question about the Tide, Green Wave and the Stanford Cardinal? Anywho, even if I'm the last person on the planet saying it, I will always mentally correct print media, TV and forum submissions to say "the Crimson Tide is." I like that unique feature about our brand and object to the subtle correction others make, seemingly to drag us back into the pack.

Last edited:

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
It's the way they do it across the ocean. Very trendy. The good old American way is not good enough.

GboyBama

3rd Team
May 7, 2010
Mobile, AL
It's the way they do it across the ocean. Very trendy. The good old American way is not good enough.
It is singular and always has been. Don’t let anyone tell you differently. Tide is singular and the plural word is TIDES! The Crimson Tide is a collective group. ONE GROUP! Just like a company is singular.

This British English is dumb.
Thanks guys. I'll rest easy knowing I'm not the only one.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
The team is. The players are. That’s English 101.

When referring to the vast majority of other teams who have plural nicknames, for example, the Bulldogs, “are” should be used because “Bulldogs” refers to both the team and the individual players. But our players are never “Tides”. “The Crimson Tide”, by definition, refers to the singular team. It’s the equivalent, using the above example, of saying “The Georgia Football Team” instead of “The Bulldogs”.

“Are” is NEVER appropriate in the context of referring to the singular team.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
The team is. The players are. That’s English 101.

When referring to the vast majority of other teams who have plural nicknames, for example, the Bulldogs, “are” should be used because “Bulldogs” refers to both the team and the individual players. But our players are never “Tides”. “The Crimson Tide”, by definition, refers to the singular team. It’s the equivalent, using the above example, of saying “The Georgia Football Team” instead of “The Bulldogs”.

“Are” is NEVER appropriate in the context of referring to the singular team.
Exactly. You would never say "Alabama are going to win this game." So neither should you say "The Tide are going to win this game."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.