UCF gofundme to investigate SEC

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I cannot argue with the marketing logic. It has gotten people to talk about UCF. However, long term, it will cause more harm than good.
Maybe - time will tell. I mean, Bama's success at football has helped to attract out of state students, very few which actually play football. But when a university pops up on the radar screen and becomes familiar (even if annoying, as long as it's not Baylol-ish rape stuff) I'm betting long-term it helps.

I doubt anyone is avoiding BSu because of the way they acted a decade ago, and I'll bet no one will avoid CFU over this, either.

It won't help them in football, but it'll probably help in overall enrollment and in AD donations.

Again, not condoning it - they're a crap program and don't deserve anything wrt the CFP - but I don't necessarily agree that all this is going to hurt them down the road.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Maybe - time will tell. I mean, Bama's success at football has helped to attract out of state students, very few which actually play football. But when a university pops up on the radar screen and becomes familiar (even if annoying, as long as it's not Baylol-ish rape stuff) I'm betting long-term it helps.

I doubt anyone is avoiding BSu because of the way they acted a decade ago, and I'll bet no one will avoid CFU over this, either.

It won't help them in football, but it'll probably help in overall enrollment and in AD donations.

Again, not condoning it - they're a crap program and don't deserve anything wrt the CFP - but I don't necessarily agree that all this is going to hurt them down the road.
Oh yes, that's true. I'm really only referring to helping their football program grow into a legit yearly contender. And by contender, I do not necessarily mean for national championships. Actually, I'm really referring to them turning into what FSU did in the late 80s, early 90s. Going from an all girls school, to what they became. That will never happen for UCF, as they are currently pursuing it. IMO, FWIW.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The real question remains how much did it help? Now, I suppose we can argue that in the long run this does help both universities raise their profile. So, in a way I can condone this behavior from them far more than I condone the antics we've seen from programs like UAB, who aren't even raising their profile really, they're just wasting resources.

In either case, did any of those places really end up being fundamentally changed? I remember talk about the USF program a few years back, are they a better university now for it? I doubt so. When we compare a university like Alabama and what their program means, to a UCF or what not, isn't that a bit like comparing a used car lot in what used to be someone's front yard, to the largest dealership in the state? I think they want it to be what Alabama is, but it's like a 5 foot tall guy thinking they can be like Shaq.

So... all in all I really question what these no history, no real support, no real relevance programs thing they're going to gain from all the stuff they put into football.

Last edited:

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Isn't UCF already the largest college in the US? According to a few web searches they are. Maybe this will help with additional donations and enrollment.

I hope it serves to point out the disparity between them and those who can /do. And I hope those players go with those who can.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The real question remains how much did it help? Now, I suppose we can argue that in the long run this does help both universities raise their profile. So, in a way I can condone this behavior from them far more than I condone the antics we've seen from programs like UAB, who aren't even raising their profile really, they're just wasting resources.

In either case, did any of those places really end up being fundamentally changed? I remember talk about the USF program a few years back, are they a better university now for it? I doubt so. When we compare a university like Alabama and what their program means, to a UCF or what not, isn't that a bit like comparing a used car lot in what used to be someone's front yard, to the largest dealership in the state? I think they want it to be what Alabama is, but it's like a 5 foot tall guy thinking they can be like Shaq.

So... all in all I really question what these no history, no real support, no real relevance programs thing they're going to gain from all the stuff they put into football.
We'll see - CFu has a LOT more going for it that USF ever has (or likely ever will). It's the largest university (by enrollment) in the US and has only been playing FBS football for about 20 years. It's still a long university. It will one day be a force - I know this much - but it's still long way off and I don't think this will help them get there, not directly, at least. But I don't think it hurts in a time when people already think teams like Bama are 'unfair' due to the money and athletes Bama has to work with.

In this day and age, CFu actually resonates with people who think that fairness means equitable outcome, not equitable opportunity.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
$5000? How much "lawyering" is that going to buy? Maybe Saul is quitting Cinnabon and coming out of retirement.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
In today's economy, what do they really think they are going to get for $5000? I guess it wouldn't be a great idea to get an economics degree at that school much less a psychology degree.
Perhaps they could buy in to AU’s “Operation Red Dog” and expose them cheat’n Bammers!! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Just out of curiosity, I checked out the GoFundMe page. The donations don't go to the "investigation", they go to Knight News, Inc. as a charitable donation, who then get to use it in pretty much any way they want to that is in any way related to their "investigation". For instance, they could use the money to "pay a salary" for someone to write an article on the "investigation", and basically pocket the cash. Pretty shady in my book.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.