Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. Clemson...

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
Everyone bashing Lupoi needs to remember that he's a year ahead of schedule. He wasn't supposed to be DC this year, Pruitt was. This was the year Tosh was supposed to sit in and take notes and learn the entirety of the defense. Instead of that happening he was tossed into the grinder and had to learn on the fly.

I would like to have seen all this chatter we've seen from the all year (penalties and jawing at the other team) turn into that quiet death that it used to be. Maybe it's from so many upper classmen leaving, but the leadership void has to be addressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd be fine with getting through a few growing pains if it means that we have stability in our defensive coaching staff for a number of seasons. These turn-stile coaching changes are simply not good for the players and our program.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Mob-Bama

2nd Team
Dec 14, 2001
Mobile, AL USA
I am proud of the people on this board--no epic meltdown here, thank goodness. Not one comment on officiating or dirty play by the opposition and no excuses. I came here to be comforted and I have been. Kudos to all!

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I understand keeping Tua in the game, but at the same time I wonder how tempted Saban was to give Jalen a shot coming out of halftime, or early in the third quarter, while the game was still in question. To my untrained eye, it looked like our passing game was off while the running game was killing it.
We probably should have given Jalen some snaps after the 2nd int. I would have inserted him there and RPO'd them to death. Or just keep running it period.

Our coaches had a poor feel for the game all the way through, on both sides. The way the game was going, what we needed to do in the 1st half was keep leaning on the run game, keep the game at a 1-score game, and try to get to the 4th qtr. Their D was gassed in the 1st half and then we let them off the hook with poorly time play calls compounded by execution mistakes. We ran 40 plays in the 1st half and might have run upwards of 60 if we had stuck to the running game. If we had done that, we might have done to them what they did to us in the 4th qtr in 2016.

As I said last night, settling for the field goal to go up 16-13 (after the penalty on Wills at the goal line) was a big shift in momentum to me. After that, Clemson scores to go back ahead and then we kind of panicked on offense and forgot we were dominating in the run game. We only punted the one time in the 1st half, but it came at the worst possible point and allowed Clemson to extend to 2 scores. It was pretty much over at that point because we got desperate after that.

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
What are the odds CNS, right now, has a staffer scouring every major news outlet and cutting out every headline that says anything about how bad we got whipped? It wouldn't surprise me if the players had to see these headlines before every workout this offseason and summer...

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
What are the odds CNS, right now, has a staffer scouring every major news outlet and cutting out every headline that says anything about how bad we got whipped? It wouldn't surprise me if the players had to see these headlines before every workout this offseason and summer...
That's nice.

It would also help to have some pass rushers and team leaders.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Wondering if the decision to put Moses in Miller's spot at times was a mistake. While he has the speed to do it, he's been the better ILB this year.
Well, he would have been just as confused there. :) (J/K) The question comes up then whom? The fact is we really just didn't have anyone who could have begun to replace Miller and they took advantage of it...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Still think the fake FG was a dumb call, but this does make some sense:

“What we wanted was the fact that they were off the line of scrimmage with several players so we had free access to block them,” Banks said. “We’ll have to go back to the tape and look at it and see exactly what it is because in the heat of the battle sometimes you think it’s one thing and then you check on film and it’s another.”
And a follow up to that Chris Owens tweet:

“I think it was a poor decision on my part not to kick the field goal the first drive of the second half,” Saban said. “We thought we had a really, really good fake, and somebody didn’t block the guy they were supposed to block, so it didn’t work, so it was a bad call. It’s always that way.”

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Well, he would have been just as confused there. :) (J/K) The question comes up then whom? The fact is we really just didn't have anyone who could have begun to replace Miller and they took advantage of it...
Honestly, that's where Saban not rotating players more (as Jess mentioned in his thread) hurts. Anoma is raw, but the running game was stopped. Throw him out there and keep Moses at ILB.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
there were numerous times that the defense looked totally confused last night and it seemed like every time that happened Clemson made us pay for it.

i'm not upset or depressed or any of that...i'm in disbelief at how poorly we performed in almost every aspect of the game. from play calling to adjustments to missed assignments and to basically just getting whipped all over the field.

last night was a complete and total team loss for everyone involved.

i never thought i'd see something like that from this team in a game like this.

at halftime after Saban's comments going into the tunnel, i told my wife that he looked frustrated, confused and worried, which i had never seen before from him.

we just got our butts handed to us all night last night...pretty shocking.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Honestly, that's where Saban not rotating players more (as Jess mentioned in his thread) hurts. Anoma is raw, but the running game was stopped. Throw him out there and keep Moses at ILB.
Wonder if Saban will focus on development in that area this spring, summer and fall with our 2019 class.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This is pretty telling that the favorite has never won the CFP. Seems like motivation and mindset plays a big role:

No. 1 seeds: 3-5 (no titles)
No. 2 seeds: 7-2 (3 titles)
No. 3 seeds: 1-5 (no titles)
No. 4 seeds: 4-3 (2 titles)

Definitely don't want the #1 seed going forward..

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is pretty telling that the favorite has never won the CFP. Seems like motivation and mindset plays a big role:

No. 1 seeds: 3-5 (no titles)
No. 2 seeds: 8-2 (3 titles)
No. 3 seeds: 0-5 (no titles)
No. 4 seeds: 4-3 (2 titles)

Definitely don't want the #1 seed going forward..
You forgot #3 UGA beat #2 Oklahoma

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
As difficult as it is to get through I have to say that this looked like an emotionally and physically tired team last night. It is a lot to ask of a team to play the schedule over the last half of the year go to Atlanta, then Miami then to Santa Clara and play very tough physical opponents.

Looking at the coaching and player turnover from last year who could have believed this team could go to the NC game undefeated.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I think we would all most likely agree that the defense has been feast or famine all year. We shut out LSU and MSU and gave up 31 points to the worst Arkansas team in years. The fact that neither LSU or MSU had a real QB threat was instrumental in those shutouts. Our defense was playing on borrowed time and if Oklahoma had any kind of defense we might not have made it to Santa Clara. I hope that bringing Dan Enos in as OC will get us back to being a more balanced and power offense. I still believe an offense that can control the clock has an advantage in a game like last night. While it is great to have a quick strike offense; it does put the onus on the defense which is why the defenses in the Big 12 are so terrible and why our defense last night looked liked a Big 12 unit. I am not blaming Lupoi, but I do wonder if his prowess as a recruiter over shadows his coaching and teaching abilities. Next year should answer some of these questions.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Still think the fake FG was a dumb call, but this does make some sense:I have to disagree.

And a follow up to that Chris Owens tweet:
Unless my memory has totally failed, there were several "someones" who didn't get blocked, the same ones we hadn't blocked all night. I can't understand why anyone would think it would work. I was sitting there saying "Please no fake; please no fake"...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think we would all most likely agree that the defense has been feast or famine all year. We shut out LSU and MSU and gave up 31 points to the worst Arkansas team in years. The fact that neither LSU or MSU had a real QB threat was instrumental in those shutouts. Our defense was playing on borrowed time and if Oklahoma had any kind of defense we might not have made it to Santa Clara. I hope that bringing Dan Enos in as OC will get us back to being a more balanced and power offense. I still believe an offense that can control the clock has an advantage in a game like last night. While it is great to have a quick strike offense; it does put the onus on the defense which is why the defenses in the Big 12 are so terrible and why our defense last night looked liked a Big 12 unit. I am not blaming Lupoi, but I do wonder if his prowess as a recruiter over shadows his coaching and teaching abilities. Next year should answer some of these questions.
Losing Lewis hurt, but we were going to be okay

Losing Diggs took away our ability to cover tall and very athletic receivers

Losing Miller just put everything on Tua’s ability to light up the scoreboard.

I think we were comparable to Texas’s defense. Good but not great once those injuries happened. With Lewis, Mack ( presumably), and Diggs back next year we maybe one those pretty good defensive teams.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.