Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. Clemson...

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Wonder if Saban will focus on development in that area this spring, summer and fall with our 2019 class.
We got some horses coming in for sure, help is on the way. If we know nothing about Nick, we know he plays to the strengths of the team. With Anoma, Barmore and all the young guys coming in, we have the nucleus of a good defensive line for several years . Especially if we pick up Sophser To anchor the middle. Don’t know if Cochran can get them up to speed physically in just a few months but 2019 should be good and 2020 should be great!

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Losing Lewis hurt, but we were going to be okay

Losing Diggs took away our ability to cover tall and very athletic receivers

Losing Miller just put everything on Tua’s ability to light up the scoreboard.

I think we were comparable to Texas’s defense. Good but not great once those injuries happened. With Lewis, Mack ( presumably), and Diggs back next year we maybe one those pretty good defensive teams.
Injuries were a big part of what happened. We were fortunate last year to overcome injuries to win it. It's been said, but someone has to look at our S&C to see how that plays into the types of injuries our guys are getting.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
This is not the first game in which the Clemson defense seemed to often know what was coming before Bama ran the play. Their defensive coordinator knows his stuff.

I don't know if Clemson set up properly to stop the shovel pass or was the player accidentally in position? Clemson ran it perfectly later in the game.

Way back there were discussions about whether Bama's offense would be just too much for all opponents even if Bama's defense had a few issues. This game showed that relying on the offense will not always work; especially putting the ball in the air all the time.

I really wanted Bama to be the first team in the modern era to go 15-0.

I could not believe how easy Bama moved the ball on the ground (except at the goal line...).

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
This is not the first game in which the Clemson defense seemed to often know what was coming before Bama ran the play. Their defensive coordinator knows his stuff.

I don't know if Clemson set up properly to stop the shovel pass or was the player accidentally in position? Clemson ran it perfectly later in the game.

Way back there were discussions about whether Bama's offense would be just too much for all opponents even if Bama's defense had a few issues. This game showed that relying on the offense will not always work; especially putting the ball in the air all the time.

I could not believe how easy Bama moved the ball on the ground (except at the goal line...).
on the shovel pass that they stopped, their two guys were rushing hard, but the second guy (who made the tackle) read the play and stopped his rush and clogged up the hole. it was a heads up play by their d

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
That's nice.

It would also help to have some pass rushers and team leaders.
You do realize that Nick can’t make team leaders. Someone has to step up and be that somebody. Usually it’s a backer or safety , but this year it should’ve been Q or Jennings as we didn’t have those type of personalities on the back end. Williams is just a big kid type personality , not really an alpha dog, and Jennings is quite , blue collar player. Not really his MO. I’m trying hard not to say anything bad about one position group that by nature of the defense should be a leader.
Same thing on offense. We needed a leader on the oline. Williams is a quite, laid back guy, Piersbacher needed to be that leader. This team really didn’t have that huge personality it needed it tough times.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I'm not sure Mack stays. I'm honestly not sure which option I'd prefer.
Experience is always the best. Athletically, he may be the most gifted player we have ever had at that position. I keep waiting for the light to come on the way it finally came on for Foster. Even after the sub par performances, he is still listed as mid to late first round NFL pick.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Ive heard other speculation about the S&C possibly contributing to some of that......
This may very well be the case, I have no idea, but it would seem really strange given the amount of effort and resources we put into monitoring players in terms of how they eat, rest, and practice.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

When's the last time we had a postseason game in which our OC wasn't under contract to be the coach of another team. It's a distraction and CNS has to find a better way to deal with it. Potentially cost us 2 NCs..

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
When's the last time we had a postseason game in which our OC wasn't under contract to be the coach of another team. It's a distraction and CNS has to find a better way to deal with it. Potentially cost us 2 NCs..
Locksley is the first Saban OC not to win a national championship since Major Applewhite.

No, I don't count Sark.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
How does Dabo keep his staff?
It's well documented. He provides them with great work / life balance. He's not like the old school coaches who demands his assistants to work 18 hours per day year round. Not saying CNS's approach isn't successful (it obviously is) but there's also obviously different ways to get the same results..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Daboll wasn't last year. Before that, Kiffin in 2015.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Locksley is the first Saban OC not to win a national championship since Major Applewhite.

No, I don't count Sark.
Right, but in 2015 Kirby had taken the job at UGA and we got shredded by Clemson. Kiffin left mid playoff in 2016 and the offense was lost against Clemson. Last year Pruitt left for UT. Then this year the offense has it's worse game of the year with Locksley headed to Maryland. Just seems like there should be a better way to handle a coordinator leaving the team. Maybe there's not a better way and we'll deal with it every year..

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
On the surface, many appear to be freak injuries. ???
Freak injuries generally don't happen that frequently except for maybe a very unlucky streak. Luck is real, but the smart play is to assume something other than luck.

When players get that strong sometimes the connective tissues (ligaments and tendons) can't take the stress. Not quite sure how to fix it other than back off just a smidgen on strength and spend that effort on conditioning.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Freak injuries generally don't happen that frequently except for maybe a very unlucky streak. Luck is real, but the smart play is to assume something other than luck.

When players get that strong sometimes the connective tissues (ligaments and tendons) can't take the stress.
Seems like most of our injuries are ACL and whatever foot injury that seemingly every LB got last year was. Would be interesting to compare season ending injuries among the rest of FBS, or elite teams, and see if there's any outliers..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Seems like most of our injuries are ACL and whatever foot injury that seemingly every LB got last year was. Would be interesting to compare season ending injuries among the rest of FBS, or elite teams, and see if there's any outliers..
That does make this stranger. Not like each guy has had a different injury. Seems like it's been about two injuries to several players.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.