Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. Clemson...

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Alabama has gained a reputation in NFL circles for not really developing OL talent since Pendry retired and Stoutland left. Cristobal was a downgrade but Key has been just as bad if not worse. We've been getting by because the S&C program turns these guys into freaks that most teams in America cannot handle regardless of technical mistakes and missteps. Look at Clemson...their OL is not that great talent-wise. Most of them are either moving on after college, becoming a backup in the pros for a few years, or maybe on the fringe of being an NFL starter for awhile. But they absolutely kicked our DL's ass when it counted because they used good technique and the offensive schemes protect them. When you've recruited like we have for the last decade, it shouldn't be a question what you do with 1st and goal inside the 5. The fact that our goal line offense has become about misdirection and feints is pretty concerning and a sign of just how bad it has gotten with the OL.
Key was worse than Cristobal IMHO but neither were nowhere near as good as Pendry and Stoutland. I really hope, given the importance of the OL, that CNS will look to hiring the best OL coach possible and not worrying as much about his recruiting ability.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Only if you continue to simulate a real game. You can't learn complex coverages and spacing if you're just out there playing prevent up by 30. You also can't learn blocking and route trees handing off on dive plays. I'm not a big fan of embarrassing another team and I'm not in favor of the garbage stats for starters, but putting in the backups is calling of the dogs in my opinion. We lose so many guys every year that any snap these guys see should be as meaningful as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is one of VERY VERY few flaws I see in CNS's "process". He is so conscious of not embarrassing or running up the score on an opponent. That we completely waste valuable game time in which the backups could be practicing running the offense/defense in real time. I understand it, having respect for your opponent, "class" and all that jazz. But not at the expense of the development of young players. Hurt feelings and damage pride heal within a few days. They'll get over it.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
This is one of VERY VERY few flaws I see in CNS's "process". He is so conscious of not embarrassing or running up the score on an opponent. That we completely waste valuable game time in which the backups could be practicing running the offense/defense in real time. I understand it, having respect for your opponent, "class" and all that jazz. But not at the expense of the development of young players. Hurt feelings and damage pride heal within a few days. They'll get over it.
It's the one part of the process that hasn't evolved to match the times. I don't think Saban could've predicted in his lifetime the exodus of juniors that college football has every year.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Saban has admitted that he doesn't know much about OL play and he's always leaned on his position coach to be able to take a directive and make it actionable so to speak. I wouldn't be surprised if we see him go for a teacher above recruiter this time. Last two guys have been recruiters first and foremost but I think preferring teaching is the pro strategy. You see it in the NFL with great franchises. For example, Stoutland has been with the Eagles longer than his head coach.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Granted I'm not being paid CNS money, but if the opponent can't stop our back-ups, or the back-ups' back-ups, from scoring, that's on them. It isn't the same thing as keeping the starters in until 0:00 so that the team can get style points.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Only if you continue to simulate a real game. You can't learn complex coverages and spacing if you're just out there playing prevent up by 30. You also can't learn blocking and route trees handing off on dive plays. I'm not a big fan of embarrassing another team and I'm not in favor of the garbage stats for starters, but putting in the backups is calling of the dogs in my opinion. We lose so many guys every year that any snap these guys see should be as meaningful as possible.

If you're up by 3-4 scores, and you're 99% sure that the other team cannot come back, then any playing time for non-starting players is valuable. It may not replicate the exact time/distance/pressure of a close game, but it's better than sitting on the bench and watching the clock slowly run down and you haven't broken a sweat since warming up for the game.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I remember CNS going ballistic on the sideline when true freshman 3rd or 4th string RB Derrick Henry ran 80 yards for a TD against Arky when the game was already out of hand.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
So they had the entire time to prepare for us then they got to play in a dome while we exhausted ourselves in the Miami heat. Yea, we got screwed as the #1 seed..

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
If you're up by 3-4 scores, and you're 99% sure that the other team cannot come back, then any playing time for non-starting players is valuable. It may not replicate the exact time/distance/pressure of a close game, but it's better than sitting on the bench and watching the clock slowly run down and you haven't broken a sweat since warming up for the game.
This is true in most sports at any level. I was raised in an athletic/competitive environment. I can remember as far back as I can remember my dad telling me "You don't get better by sitting on the bench, son" as he ripped me another ground ball at short stop in 95 degree heat on a Saturday afternoon. Now that my playing days are over and I've gone through the experiences of competing. My dad was absolutely right. "You don't get better by sitting on the bench." The best way to get better is to play in games. Practice is great, does a lot of good. But there's no substitute for playing in a game.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Saban has admitted that he doesn't know much about OL play and he's always leaned on his position coach to be able to take a directive and make it actionable so to speak. I wouldn't be surprised if we see him go for a teacher above recruiter this time. Last two guys have been recruiters first and foremost but I think preferring teaching is the pro strategy. You see it in the NFL with great franchises. For example, Stoutland has been with the Eagles longer than his head coach.
I think it all depends on who he has as recruiters. Recruiting is priority and he's going to make sure he's on top of that first. If he has capable recruiters, then he can lean on having a 'teacher' which we badly need on OL.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
As was Clemson last year as the #1 seed having to play us in the semi last year.
Not the same at all. I'm talking about advantages Clemson had because a) they got to play their first semi final in a dome b) played an opponent who was so weak they didn't have to gameplan for them. Clemson wouldn't have beat any of the other 3 teams in the playoff the previous year regardless of when and where the games were played. Not with Kelly Bryant at QB..

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
Not the same at all. I'm talking about advantages Clemson had because a) they got to play their first semi final in a dome b) played an opponent who was so weak they didn't have to gameplan for them. Clemson wouldn't have beat any of the other 3 teams in the playoff the previous year regardless of when and where the games were played. Not with Kelly Bryant at QB..
You’re absolutely right and I understand your points. Im looking at it from Clemson’s perspective of to play #4 Alabama when we were the #1 team all year. They were”screwed” because we got in, and not a lesser, conference champ. And you’re totally right. No way they would’ve beat UGA or Okie, but as a 1 seed you expect an easier semi that Bama

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I thought we got an awful draw. Would've rather been playing ND in Dallas than Oklahoma in Miami. We were clearly better than both but Notre Dame was a pretty simplistic prep. They don't do all that much on offense and they're even more straight forward on defense. They've done well by executing what they do but they just didn't have the talent to matchup against either Alabama or Clemson.

Hearing that from Cubes lets me know my opinion on that was not off-base at all. We didn't get screwed per se but yet again they kinda mis-seeded the bracket because of fixations with record or accomplishments rather than lining them up by an assessment of their ability. OU's defense gives any decent offense a chance but OU probably beats ND 75% of the time if not more. Hard to argue ND was the 3rd best team other than they were the 3rd best undefeated team of three. Even more embarrassing to know that Clemson didn't even respect them more than a traditional in-season opponent despite being for a shot at the championship.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
You’re absolutely right and I understand your points. Im looking at it from Clemson’s perspective of to play #4 Alabama when we were the #1 team all year. They were”screwed” because we got in, and not a lesser, conference champ. And you’re totally right. No way they would’ve beat UGA or Okie, but as a 1 seed you expect an easier semi that Bama
The only team that got screwed last year was Oklahoma. If the playoffs didn't exist, they'd beaten Clemson and secured their first national title since 2000.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I remember CNS going ballistic on the sideline when true freshman 3rd or 4th string RB Derrick Henry ran 80 yards for a TD against Arky when the game was already out of hand.
I think ballistic is a bit of exaggeration. He put his hands up to say “man we scored again”. Far from angry.

Cr1msoN4life

3rd Team
Nov 21, 2010
Hindsight is 20/20. That being said I really feel (and felt beforehand)we should of brought an extensive blitz package to the table, much like clemson did. We simply allowed the kid to much time to study the field. Im sure they would've won some battles but I'm also certain we would've won some to! Smashed them with the run( a bit more) and played keep away would've helped a bit :) I'm also partial to the thinking all these coaching exits affected our team continuity on several levels. It couldn't of helped.. To the guys making advancements in career (locksley) Gl and ty. To the guys making lateral moves(enos and key?) good riddens.. I for 1 hope coach picks some people that want to stay and be part of something special again.. Next year the back end should be a strength on defense, and we will see clemson again. RTR !

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.