Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. Clemson...

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
There are always positives to take away from it:

- We will fix problems that may otherwise be maxed over with a close win.
- We have another runner up trophy for Coach Cochran to destroy next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Tale of the tape right here. Couldn’t sustain a drive on 3rd down, couldn’t get them off the field on 3rd down and turn the ball over twice.

Figure it out and move on to next year.

Yep, 3rd downs and turnovers tells the tail. Also, Bama D didn’t have a single turnover in the last 3 games. The year just didn’t end kindly for our D.

Bama was also something like 2-15 on 3rd downs in 2016 against Clemson. If you can’t convert 3rd downs, you are going to struggle to score points.

Rolltidegirl205

All-SEC
Sep 20, 2014
What coach replacements are out there Saban can look for? We really need to fix a few "minor" problem areas. Kicking team. We need someone to build our defense again like past years.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
Whew! Old fashioned butt whipping that was! Congrats to Clemson for a great season. I can’t wait to see Bama rebound and win next year’s title. Roll Tide!

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Guys, this wasn't schemes and play calling.

I didn't think I'd say this about a Saban-coached team - ever, but Alabama was just physically dominated by Clemson and it wasn't close to being otherwise except in the OL running game.

Alabama got whipped physically, pure and simple.

No scheme or play called will make up for that.

And it was there all year to see but the razzle-dazzle offensive production fooled us.

We thought we could overcome it with superior skill players, speed, and good coaching.

But Alabama ran into a juggernaut that was more physical but with just as much speed and that coached a better game.

We saw it in the preseason practices brought to us on the ESPN special.

We saw it when the O couldn't pick up a 3rd-and-short by lining up and bowling the other team over.

But it was covered up by great skill players.

This game was lost in the trenches.

It was lost in the weight room.

That said...

Longer term I wonder if we need to go lighter and faster at the MLB positions considering how teams have been exploiting the slightly too slow positions there with fast TE's and RB's. Or maybe the problem there is what things are emphasized for that group in the S&C training. I'm not a coach, so not sure and there are plenty far smarter than me.

It will be good to have some players that were missed this year back and/or to have some new guys step up.

But there needs to be an attitude adjustment toward more physical ball all around. Toward team ball. Toward preparation. Toward letting our play do the talking.

Few teams could take advantage of the few weaknesses in this team and Clemson was the best prepared to do it. Hats off to them.

But Alabama's future will be decided by how the team and coaches respond to what just happened.

Talk to any successful person and they will tell you they learned more from their failures than from their successes. What they learned helped them do things better the next time.

Alabama has to learn from this like Clemson did last year. Like Alabama did the year before that and 2 years prior to that.

This is still the greatest run in college football and the opportunity is there to leave no doubt about that.

I hope the necessary changes are made.

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Saw a couple things on reddit and have to share. They made me chuckle despite the disappointing outcome of the game:

“Once again, the game was so lopsided, Tua didn’t even play the 4th quarter.”

“When Bama beats themselves, they do it by 4 touchdowns.”

Too soon? Nah, I can laugh in the face of adversity.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Although a new member, i've been a long time reader! I have loved Bama since I was a young boy since my dad was a fan. one of many reasons i joined was because of what i was reading on here...clemson has not played anyone...all of the lop sided score predictions...Texas A & M...S. Carolina threw for 500 yards...weak secondary etc...i felt that Clemson was by far the best team we had played this year and that TLaw was the truth. I am shocked with the blowout but I think the rat poison got us... #RTR
Look, can you please just come forward as a Clemson fan. It would make it so much less awkward for everyone. There are plenty of level-headed non-Alabama fan posters who post on this board and they are very welcomed. You seem to be a non-combative poster, but the charade is borderline weird. Literally every post you’ve made has been about Clemson.

daddybama1

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 10, 2018
Look, can you please just come forward as a Clemson fan. It would make it so much less awkward for everyone. There are plenty of level-headed non-Alabama fan posters who post on this board and they are very welcomed. You seem to be a non-combative poster, but the charade is borderline weird. Literally every post you’ve made has been about Clemson.
You just made me lol and that's pretty hard to do tonight the disappointment i'm feeling! If you only knew my Bama ties and my love for the Tide! If you had read one of my earlier post i openly admitted that I do know several of the coaches at Clemson .t.30 plus years...back in my and their ball days...so I do trust them when they said what they did about their team and their players. So i simply tried to communicate on here...whoooa! Slow down...this is going to be a game and a team that we have not seen this year...but i honestly did not have many takers. so there...now you know why i spoke of clemson often... #conspiracytheories ;)

daddybama1

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 10, 2018
and i have been impressed with how the non bama fans have been embraced...i do think that is pretty cool...

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
This is one of those times I loathe living in UT fan territory. The lack of class and irony of calling our fans out as obnoxious is off the charts right now and you'd think it was their guys on the field tonight with the way they're acting on social media right now.

Meanwhile, while I wish we had finished strong, I'm still very proud of a 14-1 season. Roll Tide...we'll be back again and hopefully the Tide breaks the tie with a resurgent D next year.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
We really played well in the 1st quarter and had nothing to show for it because of 2 plays....the pick six and busted coverage on 3rd and 14. After that Clemson owned us. It wouldn't have helped us a lot tonight but got to have a FG kicker so we don't have to go for it on 4th down all the time. In our 2 championship games (SEC and tonight), offense did not play well. Seems like we turned it over on our 1st possession in both games and got rattled after that. We put it back together against UGA but Clemson is too good to make that many mistakes. In the postseason, we played awesome on both sides of the ball for only the last part of UGA game and first 20 minutes of Oklahoma. Can't win the national championship without putting together 4 quarters.

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
To my (albeit armchair QB) eyes I think it came down to:

1) Inability to put real pressure on Lawrence even on blitzes. He had all day to throw on most plays.

2) Exceptional Clemson WR play and some real busted coverages at critical moments. Once again some of our guys got lured out of position.

3) Stalled drives...we moved the ball all game, but Clemson had our number on 3rd down and in the red zone.

4) Questionable playcalling. It wasn't even just the fake FG, though that one was the most baffling.

5) Clemson was exceptional on kickoffs. Waddle really had no meaningful opportunities all night.

6) Two critical turnovers.

Hats off to Clemson. They did their homework, came fired up, and were the more physical team. That's something I never expected to see. I'd like to see us get back to some more dominating defense. Even in some games we dominated this year, we gave up more yards than I'd be comfortable with were our offense not putting so many points on the board.

All that said, it's not the end of the world. I know it feels that way. We're always so quick to turn on the gloom and doom when we suffer a loss, but let's put things in perspective. Really. We've got everything we need to be back in the thick of things next year. CNS has shown time and again he has what it takes to learn and adapt. I feel better about our chances than with any other team or coach out there. We'll be fine. RTR

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
To my (albeit armchair QB) eyes I think it came down to:
1) Inability to put real pressure on Lawrence even on blitzes. He had all day to throw on most plays.
2) Exceptional Clemson WR play and some real busted coverages at critical moments. Once again some of our guys got lured out of position.
4) Questionable playcalling. It wasn't even just the fake FG, though that one was the most baffling.
I think those some of those things cover kind of interesting areas. The injuries caught up to Alabama (thanks playoff) and ended up influencing the pressure Alabama could bring. I still expected more but it made a big difference. Another was that Alabama didn't recruit as well last season, and had an uncharacteristic miss on a guy they thought they had in Justin Ross. The guy who puts up over 150 yards and had some huge plays. So we can mull that over a bit. Also, I wonder how much the play calling was influenced by the terrible kicking game? Alabama lost one point early, then along with serving up a short field to Clemson on another bad kick, I wonder how much of a cascading effect that had in some of those calls both in terms of the game not being as close and not wanting to try a field goal.

The good thing is we can hope Alabama is healthier next year (yeah right), the recruiting has been improved, and we can cross our fingers and hope the guy coming in will finally fix the problems in the kicking game.

Gallowglas

All-SEC
Jan 6, 2008
Hendersonville, TN
The injuries caught up to Alabama (thanks playoff) and ended up influencing the pressure Alabama could bring. I still expected more but it made a big difference.
There's no doubt that the injury bug hit us early and often this season and it definitely impacted performance in multiple areas and definitely in some of the areas where we struggled in this game.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
I think those some of those things cover kind of interesting areas. The injuries caught up to Alabama (thanks playoff) and ended up influencing the pressure Alabama could bring. I still expected more but it made a big difference. Another was that Alabama didn't recruit as well last season, and had an uncharacteristic miss on a guy they thought they had in Justin Ross. The guy who puts up over 150 yards and had some huge plays. So we can mull that over a bit. Also, I wonder how much the play calling was influenced by the terrible kicking game? Alabama lost one point early, then along with serving up a short field to Clemson on another bad kick, I wonder how much of a cascading effect that had in some of those calls both in terms of the game not being as close and not wanting to try a field goal.

The good thing is we can hope Alabama is healthier next year (yeah right), the recruiting has been improved, and we can cross our fingers and hope the guy coming in will finally fix the problems in the kicking game.
Interesting you said what you did K

The quicker final game, comes right as Scotland returns from our 2 week festive break so a holiday today was impossible to get and I therefore couldn't watch the game live.

When I woke to the score I automatically sorted our 16pts as 7, 6 and 3 and assumed a missed PAT, 7, 3, 3 and 3 never occurred to me (not seen the game so don't know if I'm correct but I'm assuming I am based on your post).

It wasn't a good year for the kickers.

I'm counting this as my first major set back following the tide.

Something to put right next year, RTR.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.