Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama v. Clemson...

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Where Dabo has it over Saban (and, I think, the only way) is staff retention. Amazing Venables hasn't taken a head coaching gig someplace, and apparently has no desire to.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
The combination of a vulnerable secondary, no pass rush and a good opponent QB created the nightmare scenario. Clemson had some psychological advantages going into this game also such as revenge and what seems to be the curse of the #1 seed. Dabo may also have told his guys that Saban only had one undefeated team so tonight was the night for Bama to lose. That final factor also could have worked against our guys when adversity struck. Dabo proved he's a great coach tonight though by silencing his critics who thought he could only win with Deshaun Watson.

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012
Congratulations to Clemson— they played hard, were well-coached, and it showed. I’m blown away at how the train came off the tracks tonight— in 10 years I’ve never seen a Saban-coached team quit in the fourth quarter line this. This may have been the best offense in Bama history but they sure didn’t play like it tonight. Hopefully this is embarrassment of a game can be a positive for next year in some way. See y’all tomorrow, I’m out. Roll Tide!

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Everyone wants to talk about Lawrence and the Clemson passing game but my perspective was different. While Clemson plays the game in space and stretched us vertically, Clemson won tonight at the LOS on both sides of the ball.

We had no success pressuring Lawrence with four. When we blitzed, they picked it up and Lawrence found the open guy for big yards. Their defensive line worked our o-line like rented mules. The could pressure Tua enough that they could sit with 7 or 8 in coverage.

We were out scored 30-3 in the last three quarters and shutout in the second half.

No excuses here. We were soundly whipped.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
Congratulations to Clemson. Great effort. Feel bad for the seniors at Alabama, but they had a great run. These two senior classes both had identical W/L records, and both won 2 national championships. Crazy.

Now time for the off-season. Time to avoid ESPN until the spring game.

The road to #18 continues, and I can't wait to see how Saban adjusts.

Roll Tide!
One thing that really jumped out to me was the statement that Dabo has lost only three assistants during this 4-5 year run while we are a coaching merry-go-round right now. That kind of difference in continuity is stark and very notable. It may shed some light on to who we target for candidates and who is easier to coach for. I'd love to find a Mickey Andrews, Brent Venebles and to a lesser extent John Chavis who are content with a career of being the best DC they can be. We've increasingly become a stepping stone program with coaches, and we should look inside and see why that is the case. Of course, the success brings the suitors, but apparently Dabo can hang on a little better than us.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Yep; it really looked like Bama was outcoached. But sum of it was Bama could move the ball but not make clutch play to punch it in. Bama could stop Clemson, but not the clutch 3rd down stop. Clemson made the most important plays, and Bama's O did get a little desperate;, But if they played again this year, I would bet on Bama. Just one of those nights.
Unfortunately Dabo ain't no fluke nor a joke. They ain't going anywhere. Dabo said last season "we'll be back". Looks like he was right. Tonight he officially became a great coach. His staff neutered ours in dominating fashion.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BAMA 22 HEISMAN

1st Team
Dec 13, 2009
Remeber in 08 we lost to UF. In 09 everything was to beat them and we did. We will meet Clemson again and will be ready for revenge!

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Hats off to Dabo and Clemson. They deserved to win. I question our play selection and player selection. I love Damien Harris but I would've liked to see more of Josh Jacobs and Najee Harris, especially in the redzone. But, bottom line, we didn't get any pressure on Lawrence and they got after Tua most of the night. I'm really surprised how the were able to shut down our passing game.

OTOH, we'll be back in the playoffs next year. Maybe we'll face Clemson again. But I wouldn't want to play us next year. Our offense will be amazing and our defense will be better.

RTR!

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
The only really disheartening thing about this to me is that our defense pretty obviously needs some re-working but there doesn't seem to be much out there that should really make us think a turnaround is incoming. LB is probably most concerning: I'd really like to think we have some sort of fledgling Reuben Foster waiting in the wings at LB, but it doesn't look like we do; not at all convinced by the guys coaching them, but they'll surely be back; etc. At least the young talent in the secondary looks pretty promising - maybe next year we can avoid having guys blow out their knees in pregame warmups!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Clemson wasn't challenged all that much either. This was about matchups and Clemson won the matchup that Alabama most needed to win to get stops on defense. We knew their skill guys would have scoring opportunities against this back seven but the DL was suppose to hurry more throws to help them out. We struggled in short yardage offense all season which is why we went to the Jacobs wildcat so much from around November onward. These things killed us tonight. Players gotta get better and make plays. Not much gameplanning can do about inability to cover guys in pass coverage and inability to get a hat on a hat in short yardage.
They confused our OL about as badly as they confused ND and it appeared to me that we learned nothing from watching it...

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
The team had it too easy most of the season, Tua had it too easy most of the season. They forgot how to fight. They were absolutely talented enough and good enough to win the game, but they didn't have the fight in them they needed to have. That's all there is to it.

They should bounce back though, this sort of things can light a fire under a team (last year's loss sure seemed to do that for Clemson).
The same could be said of Clemson. You win some, you lose some. And some times you get your tail whipped.

I won’t say Clemson wanted it more, because I think we played hard for 3.5 quarters. I just think they played better.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
Once the pick six was thrown, it just looked off from there. Haven’t been this disappointed in a loss since the early 2000’s.

The question is will the players shake it off and work their butts off to stay at a elite level or fold and live off what if’s?

Been a fun season but we watched it all slip away tonight. It’s been real fellas, see y’all next year.

One last note: we can’t seem to beat Clemson unless it’s indoors...strange, ain’t it?

Roll Tide Roll....18 on the way

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Where Dabo has it over Saban (and, I think, the only way) is staff retention. Amazing Venables hasn't taken a head coaching gig someplace, and apparently has no desire to.
If he has even the tiniest itch to become a head coach we will find out this offseason. He just earned himself some pretty good offers.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
We had our chances, but Clemson outplayed us. Little things are big, like penalties and mental mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
This. Coach Saban’s relationship with his assistants reminds me of Coach Calipari and his relationship with his players, Cal will encourage his players like crazy to declare, I would imagine Saban does the same with his assistants with taking other jobs but we got to retain some consistency in the coaching stuff, we’ve become Last Chance U Coaching in that regard.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.