Nick Saban finally has a worthy rival

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I still think Dabo will come eventually. No idea when but I think he will. Maybe after a stint in the NFL or something

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Honestly, the only way I see Dabo leaving for Alabama is if somehow he and Saban work something out.

How do you do that though? Is Saban goes to Dabo and says "I'm thinking about retiring", isn't that like giving an atomic bomb to a team you're at war with? But, if Saban came to Dabo and basically sold him on it and availed himself to Dabo (even if that included just getting out of the way completely), then may be that would be what it took.

But, do I see Dabo walking away from his players at Clemson, his legendary status, and his lifetime job? Still hard to fathom, it's almost like something bad would have to happen there to change things. I always felt like if he won a second championship there that would be it, he'd be their greatest coach ever and he'd be beloved there like we love Bear Bryant.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Dabo is already the best coach Clemson has ever had. That may actually help him decide to leave. The draw of having a statue at two schools would be pretty alluring...especially when one is your school and love of your life.
At Alabama he would just be another coach living in shadows. At Clemson he is making shadows. I think the “ my Alma matter is my dream job” line is very overrated and overused.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
At Alabama he would just be another coach living in shadows. At Clemson he is making shadows. I think the “ my Alma matter is my dream job” line is very overrated and overused.
I know you are just offering your opinion and I am too, but I'm just saying there's the other side of the coin that says it possible for him to desire the job if he ever has the opportunity.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I know you are just offering your opinion and I am too, but I'm just saying there's the other side of the coin that says it possible for him to desire the job if he ever has the opportunity.
I think he desires the job, but he can't have both. Let's put it another way.

I've been married for 16 years. I live a comfortable life. I think for most people at this point of a relationship it isn't terribly exciting, but it's comfortable, you know you're a good fit. Does that mean I've forgotten about high school crushes or what ever? No. Does that mean other women have become invisible to me? No.

What it does mean is that I find it hard to imagine something I'd give a relationship I've invested this much into up for. I think there's a point, and I fear Dabo has crossed it, in which his relationship at Clemson is just too important to him. That doesn't mean he'll ever forget about Alabama, or that Alabama doesn't catch his eye, it's just a matter of the Clemson relationship being special to him. The flip side is if Alabama is that one thing that Dabo would turn his life upside down for.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
i don't see any reason why Dabo would ever leave Clemson at this point.

he's what, 49?

he already has a guaranteed 10 year grace period unless for some inexplicable reason they fall apart as a team.

after 10 years he'll be 59 and very likely have several more ACC titles and at least another NC or two.

he'd have no reason to ever leave Clemson.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Possible? Yes
Likely? No

I think there are many things getting in the way..

1) money- a lot of folks on here believe Alabama would outbid Clemson for Dabo when the time comes. Alabama COULD accomplish this but WOULD and WOULD THE FINAL NUMBER BE RELEVANT be the ultimate questions. It’s not like we are going against Kansas for a coach, Clemson has deep pockets. I think it would hit a point in which Dabo would just tell Bama “ no thanks Clemson hit a number at which dollars can no longer buy my happiness”

2) SEC vs ACC- unless the ACC gets stronger and the SEC gets weaker I just don’t see expanding on this point.

3) his history here

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.