Nick Saban finally has a worthy rival

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I probably wouldn't be writing this if Alabama executed properly and won the game. 1-3 against Alabama wouldn't be anything special, we've seen that before.

But, 2-2? Splitting the past 4 National Championships with Alabama? Yeah, credit where credit is due. It is enough to daydream about what could have been, Dabo succeeding Saban and a dynasty that lasts another couple decades. Those stars won't align though, Dabo despite being an Alabama guy in just about every way possible, is now a Clemson legend. He's there for life unless he gets caught with a dead hooker (and even then the campus police might make that go away).

I'd like to make excuses, Alabama didn't get the calls. Alabama got bad breaks and made big mistakes. They gained about as much as Clemson, they had the ball longer, they just couldn't catch a break. That doesn't change what happened though. This felt like Alabama vs. Florida in 2009, only Alabama is Florida. Florida was loaded with talent, Florida had the Heisman trophy winning quarterback, they had the great coach and the championships, but Alabama just wanted it more.

Most coaches have slowly lost stature in comparison to Saban. Head to head Saban ended up taking over and dominating (though there was a time Les Miles was 50% against Saban). Even from a distance, his success has been something coaches like Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops couldn't keep up with. Both retired early, for their own reasons in part, but I can't help but think both would have had an easier time of it in a world without Saban (heck, Stoops almost got Julio).

Dabo though? He's shown he can go head to head with Alabama. He even beat Saban for a key recruit, without poaching Justin Ross the game almost certainly goes differently. He has his own Kirby Smart in Venables, who has become a defensive savant (a top 10 defense in each of the past three seasons). He has shown that it was more than just luck in landing Watson, as he now has another terrifying quarterback. He also made the call during the season to switch to said quarterback, who gained key experience leading up to the championship game. He got key defensive players to come back another year and compete for a title. In short, he's done an amazing job.

I'll admit it, I'm intimidated by Clemson. That doesn't mean Alabama can't take them out. Of course they can. Nick Saban has lead his teams to victories over Urban Meyer and Tim Tebow, over Watson and Clemson, over Georgia and Stafford, over a lot of great LSU teams. Of course they can do this, but Trevor Lawrence is legit. Clemson's defense is legit, and their head coach is legit. I don't see them going away anytime soon.

This might motivate Alabama and Nick Saban in a way the 2008 loss to Florida did, Alabama tends to bounce back from crushing losses in fine fashion. Nick Saban has already tightened things up in recruiting. The team had a lot to deal with, the offensive coordinator had a foot out the door, the team was banged up, etc... so I'm still hopeful for the future of Alabama. But, hats off to Clemson, and it sure seems like there's another coach and another program out there that's ready, willing, and able to go toe to toe with Alabama.

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I probably wouldn't be writing this if Alabama executed properly and won the game. 1-3 against Alabama wouldn't be anything special, we've seen that before.

But, 2-2? Splitting the past 4 National Championships with Alabama? Yeah, credit where credit is due. It is enough to daydream about what could have been, Dabo succeeding Saban and a dynasty that lasts another couple decades. Those stars won't align though, Dabo despite being an Alabama guy in just about every way possible, is now a Clemson legend. He's there for life unless he gets caught with a dead hooker (and even then the campus police might make that go away).

I'd like to make excuses, Alabama didn't get the calls. Alabama got bad breaks and made big mistakes. They gained about as much as Clemson, they had the ball longer, they just couldn't catch a break. That doesn't change what happened though. This felt like Alabama vs. Florida in 2009, only Alabama is Florida. Florida was loaded with talent, Florida had the Heisman trophy winning quarterback, they had the great coach and the championships, but Alabama just wanted it more.

Most coaches have slowly lost stature in comparison to Saban. Head to head Saban ended up taking over and dominating (though there was a time Les Miles was 50% against Saban). Even from a distance, his success has been something coaches like Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops couldn't keep up with. Both retired early, for their own reasons in part, but I can't help but think both would have had an easier time of it in a world without Saban (heck, Stoops almost got Julio).

Dabo though? He's shown he can go head to head with Alabama. He even beat Saban for a key recruit, without poaching Justin Ross the game almost certainly goes differently. He has his own Kirby Smart in Venables, who has become a defensive savant (a top 10 defense in each of the past three seasons). He has shown that it was more than just luck in landing Watson, as he now has another terrifying quarterback. He also made the call during the season to switch to said quarterback, who gained key experience leading up to the championship game. He got key defensive players to come back another year and compete for a title. In short, he's done an amazing job.

I'll admit it, I'm intimidated by Clemson. That doesn't mean Alabama can't take them out. Of course they can. Nick Saban has lead his teams to victories over Urban Meyer and Tim Tebow, over Watson and Clemson, over Georgia and Stafford, over a lot of great LSU teams. Of course they can do this, but Trevor Lawrence is legit. Clemson's defense is legit, and their head coach is legit. I don't see them going away anytime soon.

This might motivate Alabama and Nick Saban in a way the 2008 loss to Florida did, Alabama tends to bounce back from crushing losses in fine fashion. Nick Saban has already tightened things up in recruiting. The team had a lot to deal with, the offensive coordinator had a foot out the door, the team was banged up, etc... so I'm still hopeful for the future of Alabama. But, hats off to Clemson, and it sure seems like there's another coach and another program out there that's ready, willing, and able to go toe to toe with Alabama.
Even though I hope both teams are back in the cfp again next year, Clemson is going to be in a tough spot only because what they are losing on defense. And we honestly are going to be playing much better teams as well in the SEC but I think we will still be the favorite. We just have to play like it for a full season.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Even though I hope both teams are back in the cfp again next year, Clemson is going to be in a tough spot only because what they are losing on defense. And we honestly are going to be playing much better teams as well in the SEC but I think we will still be the favorite. We just have to play like it for a full season.
It won't be easy for either team, but I honestly felt like Clemson would fade after a generational type talent in Watson, but they haven't. So, we'll see if Dabo can keep this up, we know Saban can but it sure isn't as easy as he makes it look.

Having said that, I don't want to see Clemson in the playoffs next year for my own selfish reasons. Just like I'd prefer Georgia get knocked off before the SECCG. I want the easiest path for Alabama, I've said that all along and I say it now. I'd really prefer it be a less competent foe than one lead by Dabo, because I feel like there's only a few programs out there that are really a threat but Clemson sure is one of them.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
History will look back on us with more kindness because we had another juggernaut to battle against. They are our rumble in the jungle. If we had some hate for them it could be Red Sox, Yanks.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I wouldn’t ordain Dabo just yet. I don’t know if he will be offered as next Alabama coach either. I do think he will jump at the opportunity. Unlike some on this board.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Tortured analogy time: American wouldn't have landed on the moon without the Russians as a serious competitor. I think having Clemson as a serious post-season rival will make Bama better. I hope we get 'em again next year and give them what they gave us tonight.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I wouldn’t ordain Dabo just yet. I don’t know if he will be offered as next Alabama coach either. I do think he will jump at the opportunity. Unlike some on this board.
Well, I'm still not sure I like Dabo, but I wasn't sure I liked Saban until he came to Alabama either. He's a great coach though, I don't see a way around that.

I made a post a while back showing how hard is it win a championship after 4 season on the job. Something about the full responsibility of maintaining things seems to make the job a bit tougher over time. Dabo joins Saban as the only coach since 2000, and heck I'm not sure how far back it goes, to not just win outside the window, but to do it twice with multiple quarterbacks.

At this point there's no question Dabo is really good at his job, that much is clear. He's not doing it with someone else's players, he's not doing with just one great QB he got his hand on, he's matched what Saban did over the past 4 years exactly, and I just have to acknowledge that.

That aside, I think Clemson will do anything to keep him and I'm not sure he has anything to gain from leaving. Also, Saban doesn't seem to be in a hurry to leave, so I find it hard to image a late 50s Dabo deciding he wants to leave a guaranteed lifetime job at Clemson to try to follow-up Saban at Alabama. Just seems like that window closed with this championship, he's probably the greatest coach Clemson will ever have and they'll worship the ground he walks on.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I am not ordaining Dabo anything. I really don't care for his rah-rah coaching style -- but I am giving credit where credit is due. He has done at Clemson what Coach has done at Bama and done it with less recruiting talent to boot. Dabo has created his own dynasty and it runs though Tuscaloosa. That is all I am saying.

This is not a slur, when you look at the former and present coaches it really does run though Tuscaloosa, both on the field and off the field.

Last edited:

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
I do not understand why people think this. The question is why would he leave Clemson. Why leave a programs that is as good as us? Actually, better than us this year. He has it made in the ACC and Clemson loves him. What do we offer that he does not already have? 4 straight trips to the CFP? Winning as many CFP Championships as Saban? Top 5 recruiting class every year? Face it, CDS is every bit was good as Saban and BAMA. Seems like they made us quit last night.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Good post Krazy...I know we don't always see eye to eye but this was good.

What I really appreciate about Dabo goes back to what I've said many, many times when discussing him on this board. His greatest strength is he does it his way and it has proven to work. Many people don't like his style, but I can appreciate that he's chosen a path (his process?) and he's built his program around it and it is working.

I hope it's a long time before we have to replace CNS, but I'll say it again, we don't won't to try to replace CNS with a coach who is like him. That'll fail about 99% of time. What Dabo has proven is he can do it his way and the results speak for themselves.

FWIW, I don't know if he'll ever coach at Bama as HC. Time will tell, but he's proven he could win and win big if it ever happens.

Bama Shoals

1st Team
Jan 17, 2007
Killen, AL
I do not understand why people think this. The question is why would he leave Clemson. Why leave a programs that is as good as us? Actually, better than us this year. He has it made in the ACC and Clemson loves him. What do we offer that he does not already have? 4 straight trips to the CFP? Winning as many CFP Championships as Saban? Top 5 recruiting class every year? Face it, CDS is every bit was good as Saban and BAMA. Seems like they made us quit last night.
Exactly. And he gets to play in an easier conference. Why would you want to leave and come to the SEC?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Never mind. Dabo has it going on. I don't like his style but he's winning big.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Mama called?
Yeah but she probably called too late or the wife (Clemson) is good enough to ignore her call.

I seriously don’t think Dabo is coming. He has the potential of being the GOAT at Clemson. At Alabama his prospects at best would be between being “ just another coach” and “being slightly better than Gene Stallings”. There are still folks out there saying CPB is better than CNS because he won 6 at Alabama and has way more wins.

Point is after last night there is probably a better chance of Urban coming than Dabo.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yeah but she probably called too late or the wife (Clemson) is good enough to ignore her call.

I seriously don’t think Dabo is coming. He has the potential of being the GOAT at Clemson. At Alabama his prospects at best would be between being “ just another coach” and “being slightly better than Gene Stallings”. There are still folks out there saying CPB is better than CNS because he won 6 at Alabama and has way more wins.

Point is after last night there is probably a better chance of Urban coming than Dabo.
Dabo is already the best coach Clemson has ever had. That may actually help him decide to leave. The draw of having a statue at two schools would be pretty alluring...especially when one is your school and love of your life.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.