JessN: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’s fu - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 64
  1. #40
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Hopewell, VA
    Posts
    3,422

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’

    Quote Originally Posted by imauafan View Post
    I was that way when I was younger. I don't like for Bama to lose but it's not nearly as big of deal to me as it used to be. I watched the game last night with some good friends and enjoyed the time together even though we lost the game. The sun rose this morning and life goes on. I played with my dog after the game and then again this morning. She could care less if Bama wins or loses, as long as she gets food, water, and love/attention then she is happy. I should be more like my dog with being content and happy with simple things. I've lived to see Bama win far more nationals championships in my adult lifetime than I ever dreamed possible. Enjoy the wins but don't get obsessed with a game because that is all that it is, a game.
    i'm almost 50...gotta get a new perspective.

    quite frankly, losing the way we did made it easier to take.
    Last edited by davefrat; January 8th, 2019 at 12:04 PM.

  2. #41
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Northport, AL
    Posts
    3,317

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’

    Quote Originally Posted by davefrat View Post
    i'm almost 50...gotta get a new perspective.

    quite frankly, losing the way we did made it easier to take.
    I agree 100% with your last statement. The comments in this thread show there were many aspects in the game where we were soundly defeated. When we lose, I prefer it to be in such a way that motivation is gained from the experiences.

    Throughout the offseason and next season, the pundits will be talking about CU like they talked about us this season. That will wear on them while creating hunger in us. 👍

  3. #42
    REC | FB | BB Moderator RTR91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Prattville
    Posts
    38,281

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’

    Quote Originally Posted by davefrat View Post
    i'm almost 50...gotta get a new perspective.

    quite frankly, losing the way we did made it easier to take.
    For every other loss, we've had a "if this happens" type of play that we can use as how the game could have been different. Last night was just complete embarrassment.

    While it stings/sucks, it's better than the heartache a pick play with one second left gives you.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

    "We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

  4. #43
    BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Allen, Texas
    Posts
    7,664

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’

    Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    I'm sorry, I spent Christmas vacation getting caught up on all the Marvel movies I'd missed so it was fresh on the mind.
    C'mon, man..............just because you are an engineer does not mean that you have to do all the nerdy stuff. I mean, look at me (not that anyone would want to, especially a woman), but I never did any of that nerdy sci-fi stuff. When Star Tek came out, the fist thing that came to mind was "Who thought up this crap?" And I turned out ok.

    "No, you just turned out to be a bitter old nut."

    Well, point well taken.

    Enough levity....................back to finding blame.........................
    "I hate morning people.
    And mornings.

    And people!"

  5. #44
    Administrator &
    Editor-in-Chief

    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Posts
    5,732
    Thread Starter

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’

    Quote Originally Posted by JTH View Post
    You blame Clemson's last loss to Alabama on lack of personnel, but I believe the same could be said for Alabama this year on defense. If we had a true pass rusher like we had in Tim Williams, this game could have been so much different. A player like that could have rattled Lawrence and caused poor throws as we saw the few times we got to him last night. Without that, we were picked apart on third and long all night giving up big play after big play.
    In both the recap and my responses here, I've been pretty consistent in pointing out the loss of Miller, and the struggles Moses and Wilson had all year in the scheme. The problem with all three is there is/was no depth at those slots. And in regard to ILBs, there may be an issue with the effectiveness of the coaching, but I don't know that because I have a hard time gauging what Wilson's and Moses' ceilings happen to be.

    A lot of people last night in my Twitter feed were clamoring for Anoma to play. The problem with that is Anoma is less polished than Courtney Upshaw was a true freshman. From about LSU onward during Upshaw's true freshman year, we could put him at rush end when the other team was down big and turn him loose. But he couldn't play on early downs because he wasn't disciplined enough in his run keys. Anoma had the same issues in 2018, times a hundred. The only real solution for Miller's absence was to play Jamey Mosley and work around his shortcomings rather than to reshuffle the entire LB corps to compensate, but Saban chose the latter, and it proved to be a mistake. In regards to Moses and Wilson, there really isn't/wasn't a Plan B. The most effective reserve inside LB on the team is Josh McMillon, and he's a run-support LB only. He is almost a carbon copy of Tana Patrick. With the way Clemson was chucking the ball around, it wouldn't have made much sense to get him in the game.

    Having said that, Alabama has recruited a lot of LBs over the years and if you can't develop a single one of them to be ready to spell a struggling guy, you either are falling flat on the evaluation side, or you're not coaching them up. There isn't really a third option -- "Player X just didn't work out" falls heavily under evaluation. Exceptions noted for guys that turn to behavioral turds once they get to college but none of the guys in the ILB group have done that.

    Self-scouting is always critical, not just in regards to opponents but to your own tendencies and organizations. And it's going to be more critical than ever for the players and coaches in the defensive front seven heading into 2019, because Alabama could wind up losing all its best players up there and returning guys that have struggled for a year or more. I've got an uneasy feeling next year will be even loopier than this year in regards to what the defense can and can't stop.
    Jess Nicholas
    Editor-In-Chief
    TideFans.com

  6. #45
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    6,314

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’

    I think the two ILBs played better last year.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #46
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arab, AL
    Posts
    17,265

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’

    JessN, just wanted to say your contributions here are invaluable. They are greatly appreciated.

  8. #47
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Madison, AL
    Posts
    272

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’

    Quote Originally Posted by dvldog View Post
    I think the two ILBs played better last year.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree with that..

  9. #48
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,557

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’

    DVL, it's not even close. Size and speed don't really matter when you consistently run into the pile or into each other.

    Quote Originally Posted by dvldog View Post
    I think the two ILBs played better last year.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #49
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Carefree, AZ
    Posts
    513

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’

    I also wonder about the cumulative effect of extra games due to making it to the cfp title every year. That’s a conference championship game, a semifinal game and a national championship game. I know we haven’t played in the conference game every year, but that’s a lot of tough, physical games, that some opponents don’t have to play.

    I’ve heard a similar about nba teams i.e. warriors, who start to look worn out because they have played so many games in consecutive years.


    Quote Originally Posted by BAMARICH View Post
    Two things were on display tonight - and they both resulted in UA looking totally gassed defensively.

    The first is player conditioning. Coaches say it’s harder for the bigs to get back into game shape after the month layoff. Last week, our front 7 got after it against OU... same last year in the first round vs. Clemson. Our guys were taxed greatly last week and the turnaround didn’t allow them time to recover. If Clemson plays OU last week, they look differently tonight on defense IMO.

    The second is the meat grinder of our SEC schedule. We played twice as many hard games as Clemson this season - and it took a toll on us. Again, look at last season as an indicator. We had an easier schedule than this year - and we were fresh against CU and did well defensively against UGA (who played an extra game and had to play OU). IMO, It’s better to go into the CFP having been tested in 2-3 games than to have played 5-6 heavyweights - and if you can skip the conference title game, all the better.

    With these two factors, it comes down to the luck of the draw. How strong is your conference and who do you draw in the CFP?

  11. #50
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,684

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’

    Quote Originally Posted by JessN View Post
    In both the recap and my responses here, I've been pretty consistent in pointing out the loss of Miller, and the struggles Moses and Wilson had all year in the scheme. The problem with all three is there is/was no depth at those slots. And in regard to ILBs, there may be an issue with the effectiveness of the coaching, but I don't know that because I have a hard time gauging what Wilson's and Moses' ceilings happen to be.

    A lot of people last night in my Twitter feed were clamoring for Anoma to play. The problem with that is Anoma is less polished than Courtney Upshaw was a true freshman. From about LSU onward during Upshaw's true freshman year, we could put him at rush end when the other team was down big and turn him loose. But he couldn't play on early downs because he wasn't disciplined enough in his run keys. Anoma had the same issues in 2018, times a hundred. The only real solution for Miller's absence was to play Jamey Mosley and work around his shortcomings rather than to reshuffle the entire LB corps to compensate, but Saban chose the latter, and it proved to be a mistake. In regards to Moses and Wilson, there really isn't/wasn't a Plan B. The most effective reserve inside LB on the team is Josh McMillon, and he's a run-support LB only. He is almost a carbon copy of Tana Patrick. With the way Clemson was chucking the ball around, it wouldn't have made much sense to get him in the game.

    Having said that, Alabama has recruited a lot of LBs over the years and if you can't develop a single one of them to be ready to spell a struggling guy, you either are falling flat on the evaluation side, or you're not coaching them up. There isn't really a third option -- "Player X just didn't work out" falls heavily under evaluation. Exceptions noted for guys that turn to behavioral turds once they get to college but none of the guys in the ILB group have done that.

    Self-scouting is always critical, not just in regards to opponents but to your own tendencies and organizations. And it's going to be more critical than ever for the players and coaches in the defensive front seven heading into 2019, because Alabama could wind up losing all its best players up there and returning guys that have struggled for a year or more. I've got an uneasy feeling next year will be even loopier than this year in regards to what the defense can and can't stop.
    I agree completely with this. If Buggs, Q, Dieonte, and Anfernee are all not in the roster next year, name who is ready to rise and play at their level or higher next year? Sure I know who is on the roster but from my point of view we have some critical issues facing us next year in the front 7. This problem has been building since 2016 which is also the same time we started transitioning to a different style of player in our front 7.

    I would tell you outside of QB and WR we have alot of work to do rebuilding, not reloading, the rotations in the other position groups and special teams. I believe the coaching turnover has had an impact more than we realize.

    Coach has always said he likes rebuilding more than anything in coaching. Well I think he has got plenty to look forward to, imo.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

  12. #51
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,709

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’

    Quote Originally Posted by JessN View Post
    A lot of people last night in my Twitter feed were clamoring for Anoma to play. The problem with that is Anoma is less polished than Courtney Upshaw was a true freshman.
    I'd like to dig in this point a bit more:

    On Anoma - I completely agree he wasn't ready to be an every down edge guy in the SEC. What I do think he could have gotten more reps for is package situations where we just need a pure pass rush. Lewis and Allen were out at the first of the season. In addition to Anoma, we also had Parks and Latu (maybe parks more than Latu since parks already has a decent frame) who we could have played more early in the year in several games to potentially help them prepare to contribute if needed. It couldn't have been much worse than playing mosely in 17 with potentially more upside. We did that some with Tim Williams early on and also with Rashaan Evans before he moved inside. Neither, and especially Evans, were edge setters or run defenders, but we found spots they could at least get a few reps to take some of the heat off the other guys

  13. #52
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gadsden, Al.
    Posts
    5,928

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’

    Quote Originally Posted by JessN View Post
    Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’s future
    by Jess Nicholas
    TideFans Editor-In-Chief
    January 8th, 2019 12:24 AM

    By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief Jan. 7, 2019 Whether you’re an optimist (“We still have Nick Saban!”) or a pessimist (“This was the beginning of the end!”) about Alabama football probably hinges on how many total points you thought swung about on two poor decisions and throws from QB Tua Tagovailoa, and Alabama’s response to […]

    Read More Here
    Great analysis.
    My take is we were out played, and out coached.
    The question now is what are we going to do about it?

    What happened last night is Clemson did to us what we did to other teams.
    (Now we know how bad it feels)

    I have to give an ATTA BOY to Brent Venables.
    Brent Venables had an answer for everything we tried.
    The Clemson Defense dominated us.
    We were allowed to run/pass Willy Nilly between the 20s,
    but they clamped down when we got to the Red Zone.
    Venables head games with Tua were wildly successful.

    IMO: Our coaches had a game plan that was suspect.
    Clemson beat us at our own game.

    I have to congratulate Dabo, and Brent Venables.
    They executed a great game

    I said it while ago...
    NOW WE HAVE TO MAKE THE NECESSARY ADJUSTMENTS.
    It's a cinch the better teams will all throw some version of the Clemson Offense and Defense at us next year.
    WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO ABOUT IT?
    NOW WE HAVE TO MAKE THE NECESSARY ADJUSTMENTS...
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; January 8th, 2019 at 10:02 PM. Reason: format

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear

Alabama Crimson Tide gear at Fanatics.com