JessN: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’s fu - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 53 to 64 of 64
  1. #53
    BamaNation All-SEC PalmBayBama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Palm Bay, FL
    Posts
    1,110

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’

    Quote Originally Posted by TiderinAZ View Post
    I also wonder about the cumulative effect of extra games due to making it to the cfp title every year. That’s a conference championship game, a semifinal game and a national championship game. I know we haven’t played in the conference game every year, but that’s a lot of tough, physical games, that some opponents don’t have to play.

    I’ve heard a similar about nba teams i.e. warriors, who start to look worn out because they have played so many games in consecutive years.
    Clemson has played the same number of games as Alabama over the last 4 years.

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Bama class of 2000

  2. Advertisement
  3. #54
    Administrator &
    Editor-in-Chief

    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Posts
    5,682
    Thread Starter

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’

    Quote Originally Posted by gtgilbert View Post
    I'd like to dig in this point a bit more:

    On Anoma - I completely agree he wasn't ready to be an every down edge guy in the SEC. What I do think he could have gotten more reps for is package situations where we just need a pure pass rush. Lewis and Allen were out at the first of the season. In addition to Anoma, we also had Parks and Latu (maybe parks more than Latu since parks already has a decent frame) who we could have played more early in the year in several games to potentially help them prepare to contribute if needed. It couldn't have been much worse than playing mosely in 17 with potentially more upside. We did that some with Tim Williams early on and also with Rashaan Evans before he moved inside. Neither, and especially Evans, were edge setters or run defenders, but we found spots they could at least get a few reps to take some of the heat off the other guys
    Well, this goes back to the oldest complaint I have about Nick Saban, and it's also one of Dabo Swinney's greatest strengths: Playing more players (or in Saban's case, not enough).

    It's especially problematic on defense. Except in three cases (Diggs' season-ending injury, S.Smith's injury Monday night, and Jared Mayden's targeting suspension against UGA), Bama played six DBs in close games the entire year, with the exception of Diggs' injury that brought Mayden into the weekly plan, and the minor exception that Daniel Wright was originally getting the snaps in dollar that went to Mayden until Wright hurt his foot. Once Wright got hurt, we never ran another seven-DB coverage the whole year and/or subbed out one of the regular DBs. Up front, we played seven DL for the first month and then stopped playing Musika. At linebacker, McMillon got a handful of snaps in non-blowouts (like less than 10) but no one else played when games were close. Saban has always put together playing rotations like he was still in Miami with a 53-man roster limit.

    On offense, we rotated a lot at RB but elsewhere, there was almost no rotation at all. Lester Cotton/Deonte Brown was the only spot that saw on-field competition. Miller Forristall worked in some packages at TE. At wide receiver? We played four guys. Every time I bring that up someone asks "which one of our four studs do you want to sit" but that's not how it works. You have to give guys a blow every now and then or they're just going to run out of gas. We occasionally let Tyrell Shavers or Derek Kief into the game, and by "occasionally" I mean with the same frequency as Halley's Comet. Kief should have played a lot more this year; he had height, he could block and he was a popular fifth-year senior who could catch.

    I agree that Anoma should have gotten more rabbit snaps this year, and our handling of Parks/Latu might encourage one of them to seek a transfer. None of those guys were realistic options at ILB, though, where Alabama had more pertinent struggles. We really needed to give Benton, Kaho and Moody more chances. The fact we were still playing starters late in games where we had 20- or 30-point leads was sort of ridiculous.

    However, I have learned that this isn't going to change, because that's a leopard-and-its-spots issue for Saban.
    Last edited by JessN; January 9th, 2019 at 05:12 AM.
    Jess Nicholas
    Editor-In-Chief
    TideFans.com

  4. #55
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    210

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’

    I agree wholeheartedly with Jess. I listened to ESPN radio on TuneIn because I was outside the US and I heard the announcers make the point that Clemson was playing a freshman DB that had played in 2 or 3 games because he tackled well and was playing in this game because he would still maintain his redshirt. Made me think, “Why doesn’t Alabama ever do that?” I understand the potential for Freshmen to make mistakes, but we had Defensive linemen who were hampered by leg injuries which precluded them from Chasing down plays and others worn out and tired from HUNH....I just don’t believe that a proven guy that can hardly run is better than a young stud ready to fight tired offensive linemen and chase down folks.

    On the first interception, why did we have a receiver running an out and another beside him running a hook? Enabled both defenders to sit on a 10 yard pass with no worry of a deep ball?

    Finally, we have to address kicking and punting next year. Yes, I know we have a stud recruit coming in from In state. But I wish we would hold a South East regional try outs this summer and invite soccer players, rugby players and High School kickers of all types...the best should be given preferred walk on options and then let them compete in spring, whittle down the number, and then compete and select in the Summer. Missing 9 PATs is not acceptable. Kicking the hall out of bounds is not acceptable.
    Last edited by Jkl0802; January 9th, 2019 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Addition of PS

  5. #56
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Hopewell, VA
    Posts
    3,407

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’

    Quote Originally Posted by Jkl0802 View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly with Jess. I listened to ESPN radio on TuneIn because I was outside the US and I heard the announcers make the point that Clemson was playing a freshman DB that had played in 2 or 3 games because he tackled well and was playing in this game because he would still maintain his redshirt. Made me think, “Why doesn’t Alabama ever do that?” I understand the potential for Freshmen to make mistakes, but we had Defensive linemen who were hampered by leg injuries which precluded them from Chasing down plays and others worn out and tired from HUNH....I just don’t believe that a proven guy that can hardly run is better than a young stud ready to fight tired offensive linemen and chase down folks.

    On the first interception, why did we have a receiver running an out and another beside him running a hook? Enabled both defenders to sit on a 10 yard pass with no worry of a deep ball?

    Finally, we have to address kicking and punting next year. Yes, I know we have a stud recruit coming in from In state. But I wish we would hold a South East regional try outs this summer and invite soccer players, rugby players and High School kickers of all types...the best should be given preferred walk on options and then let them compete in spring, whittle down the number, and then compete and select in the Summer. Missing 9 PATs is not acceptable. Kicking the hall out of bounds is not acceptable.
    the first INT looked like the DB jumped the route because he knew the play that was being run.

    i think Clemson was incredibly well-prepared for us.

    i said in another thread that considering basically the entire Clemson staff (they've apparently only lost 2 assistants to our 13 during that time) and half their starters have been playing and planning for Bama for the last 4 years that they probably know us as well (and in some cases even better) than we know ourselves.

    we got taken to the woodshed by Dabo and company...from game prep to game plan to execution to focus to adjustments.

    it was a complete and total domination...they have our number.

    we need to get things straight because Clemson isn't going anywhere for quite some time and our window under Saban is limited simply due to his age.

  6. #57
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    210

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’

    Good points all; I agree with you.

    None of us should forget that last year Clemson was going through much of the same doubt after our beat down of them. This year, they wanted it more, coaches, players, fans...all. I have no doubt Alabama players and coaches will play with a chip on their shoulder next year. As CNS said, a lot of good can come from a loss. If the players and fans don’t like losing, address and redouble efforts to correct the shortfalls that led to defeat this year. There is no one better to have at the helm than our coach.

  7. #58
    BamaNation Hall of Fame bamacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    13,962

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’

    Quote Originally Posted by JessN View Post
    Well, this goes back to the oldest complaint I have about Nick Saban, and it's also one of Dabo Swinney's greatest strengths: Playing more players (or in Saban's case, not enough).

    It's especially problematic on defense. Except in three cases (Diggs' season-ending injury, S.Smith's injury Monday night, and Jared Mayden's targeting suspension against UGA), Bama played six DBs in close games the entire year, with the exception of Diggs' injury that brought Mayden into the weekly plan, and the minor exception that Daniel Wright was originally getting the snaps in dollar that went to Mayden until Wright hurt his foot. Once Wright got hurt, we never ran another seven-DB coverage the whole year and/or subbed out one of the regular DBs. Up front, we played seven DL for the first month and then stopped playing Musika. At linebacker, McMillon got a handful of snaps in non-blowouts (like less than 10) but no one else played when games were close. Saban has always put together playing rotations like he was still in Miami with a 53-man roster limit.

    On offense, we rotated a lot at RB but elsewhere, there was almost no rotation at all. Lester Cotton/Deonte Brown was the only spot that saw on-field competition. Miller Forristall worked in some packages at TE. At wide receiver? We played four guys. Every time I bring that up someone asks "which one of our four studs do you want to sit" but that's not how it works. You have to give guys a blow every now and then or they're just going to run out of gas. We occasionally let Tyrell Shavers or Derek Kief into the game, and by "occasionally" I mean with the same frequency as Halley's Comet. Kief should have played a lot more this year; he had height, he could block and he was a popular fifth-year senior who could catch.

    I agree that Anoma should have gotten more rabbit snaps this year, and our handling of Parks/Latu might encourage one of them to seek a transfer. None of those guys were realistic options at ILB, though, where Alabama had more pertinent struggles. We really needed to give Benton, Kaho and Moody more chances. The fact we were still playing starters late in games where we had 20- or 30-point leads was sort of ridiculous.

    However, I have learned that this isn't going to change, because that's a leopard-and-its-spots issue for Saban.
    And that’s weird considering that he’s has changed many of his philosophies on both sides of the ball to change with how teams were playing now. If this Clemson team didn’t show him that what you said is a must...you’re right, nothing will!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #59
    REC | FB | BB Moderator RTR91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Prattville
    Posts
    37,327

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’

    Quote Originally Posted by JessN View Post
    Well, this goes back to the oldest complaint I have about Nick Saban, and it's also one of Dabo Swinney's greatest strengths: Playing more players (or in Saban's case, not enough).

    It's especially problematic on defense. Except in three cases (Diggs' season-ending injury, S.Smith's injury Monday night, and Jared Mayden's targeting suspension against UGA), Bama played six DBs in close games the entire year, with the exception of Diggs' injury that brought Mayden into the weekly plan, and the minor exception that Daniel Wright was originally getting the snaps in dollar that went to Mayden until Wright hurt his foot. Once Wright got hurt, we never ran another seven-DB coverage the whole year and/or subbed out one of the regular DBs. Up front, we played seven DL for the first month and then stopped playing Musika. At linebacker, McMillon got a handful of snaps in non-blowouts (like less than 10) but no one else played when games were close. Saban has always put together playing rotations like he was still in Miami with a 53-man roster limit.

    On offense, we rotated a lot at RB but elsewhere, there was almost no rotation at all. Lester Cotton/Deonte Brown was the only spot that saw on-field competition. Miller Forristall worked in some packages at TE. At wide receiver? We played four guys. Every time I bring that up someone asks "which one of our four studs do you want to sit" but that's not how it works. You have to give guys a blow every now and then or they're just going to run out of gas. We occasionally let Tyrell Shavers or Derek Kief into the game, and by "occasionally" I mean with the same frequency as Halley's Comet. Kief should have played a lot more this year; he had height, he could block and he was a popular fifth-year senior who could catch.

    I agree that Anoma should have gotten more rabbit snaps this year, and our handling of Parks/Latu might encourage one of them to seek a transfer. None of those guys were realistic options at ILB, though, where Alabama had more pertinent struggles. We really needed to give Benton, Kaho and Moody more chances. The fact we were still playing starters late in games where we had 20- or 30-point leads was sort of ridiculous.

    However, I have learned that this isn't going to change, because that's a leopard-and-its-spots issue for Saban.
    Honestly, it's irritating to see when you consider the new redshirt rule.

    Here are the guys that burned their redshirt in 2018:

    Eyabi Anoma, 12 games
    Josh Jobe, 14 games
    Ale Kaho, 15 games
    Jaylen Moody, 14 games

    If those guys are going to play in over 80% of the games for special teams, put them out there to get in game reps.

    Guys that could have at least been a body on the field to give others a break:

    Christian Barmore, 0 games
    Cameron Latu, 2 games
    Jarez Parks, 0 games
    Stephon Wynn, 0 games

    Again, I'm not saying play these guys when the game is on the line, but they can't at least get some game reps to gain experience while giving someone else a breather?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

    "We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

  9. #60
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    210

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’

    Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Honestly, it's irritating to see when you consider the new redshirt rule.

    Here are the guys that burned their redshirt in 2018:

    Eyabi Anoma, 12 games
    Josh Jobe, 14 games
    Ale Kaho, 15 games
    Jaylen Moody, 14 games

    If those guys are going to play in over 80% of the games for special teams, put them out there to get in game reps.

    Guys that could have at least been a body on the field to give others a break:

    Christian Barmore, 0 games
    Cameron Latu, 2 games
    Jarez Parks, 0 games
    Stephon Wynn, 0 games

    Again, I'm not saying play these guys when the game is on the line, but they can't at least get some game reps to gain experience while giving someone else a breather?
    Wholeheartedly agree RTR91!

  10. #61
    Administrator &
    Editor-in-Chief

    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Posts
    5,682
    Thread Starter

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’

    Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Honestly, it's irritating to see when you consider the new redshirt rule.

    Here are the guys that burned their redshirt in 2018:

    Eyabi Anoma, 12 games
    Josh Jobe, 14 games
    Ale Kaho, 15 games
    Jaylen Moody, 14 games

    If those guys are going to play in over 80% of the games for special teams, put them out there to get in game reps.

    Guys that could have at least been a body on the field to give others a break:

    Christian Barmore, 0 games
    Cameron Latu, 2 games
    Jarez Parks, 0 games
    Stephon Wynn, 0 games

    Again, I'm not saying play these guys when the game is on the line, but they can't at least get some game reps to gain experience while giving someone else a breather?
    On top of that, Kaho and Moody played in, I think, 2 games each that didn't involve kick returns or coverage. I think Jobe managed to get 4-5 games in. Anoma is the only one who worked an actual position for half or more of the season.

    I think Wynn snuck in 1 game that didn't get tracked by UA. I can't be sure Musika broke the 5-game threshold, either.

    There is question of whether Jerome Ford did. According to NCAA.org, he played 5 games, but despite the name, that site isn't the official word.
    Jess Nicholas
    Editor-In-Chief
    TideFans.com

  11. #62
    BamaNation All-American tidegrandpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Corpus Christi,Tx via Mobile, Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    2,080

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    One team had several juniors come back specifically to beat the other. The other had several juniors leave to beat a path to the NFL.

    A lot of tonight was about on field leadership and experience

    Our defense just didn’t develop enough leadership to be ready to control the game.

    Mack and Moses aren’t Alpha Dogs. We’ve always had at least one going back to McLain.
    The same "alpha dog" thought crossed my mind looking at them line up after getting 2 tds down, not enough mention in the writeup about another missing linebacker (Lewis) and Trevon Diggs out.
    We were hamstrung and Saban knew it, and lack of a leader showed on the field. Good point.

  12. #63
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Breaux Bridge, La
    Posts
    17,013

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’

    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBayBama View Post
    Clemson has played the same number of games as Alabama over the last 4 years.

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Number ? Yes

    Caliber ? No
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

  13. #64
    BamaNation First Team
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    312

    Re: Clemson wrap-up: How Bama recovers – or doesn’t – will determine much of program’

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    One team had several juniors come back specifically to beat the other. The other had several juniors leave to beat a path to the NFL.

    A lot of tonight was about on field leadership and experience

    Our defense just didn’t develop enough leadership to be ready to control the game.

    Mack and Moses aren’t Alpha Dogs. We’ve always had at least one going back to McLain.
    This was surprising. I really thought Mack was going to be the next great LB for Bama, in the mold of Reuben Foster. Especially after seeing him lay the wood on a few kick returners early in his career.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

[CLICK] GET BAMA Calendar

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!