Changes for next year

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
One thing we should start doing is commit blatant pass interference and just see if we can get away with it. I swear, last night clemson could have grabbed our receivers, gave them a wedgie, and threw them into the stands to keep them from catching the pass and the refs still wouldn't have thrown a flag.
I nearly lost my mind on the third down when there was no DPI call against Clemson on a pass to Smitty and Herbstreit said "I don't think it was as bad as it looked." For all the nonsense he's given our DBs in recent years for questionable DPI calls, he wants to say that?!

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Forgot about that. The one time PI was called, it was naturally against us.
There were two on them that I can't believe weren't called. One was where there DB was basically riding Irv Smith on a pass over the middle. The other was the blatant holding on Jerry Jeudy on an out pass. Both were right in front of referees, but no call. They were also both on third down and would have continued our drives. I don't ask for much from the refs, but these were just blatantly obvious.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I nearly lost my mind on the third down when there was no DPI call against Clemson on a pass to Smitty and Herbstreit said "I don't think it was as bad as it looked." For all the nonsense he's given our DBs in recent years for questionable DPI calls, he wants to say that?!
They could have hopped on the receiver's back and gone for a ride and I'm not sure there would have been a whistle.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
DBs - yes, DL - I'm not sure. We didn't have depth in 2018 and all 3 starters will be gone. I'm not sure how we expect depth there.
From all reports Barmore will be a stud! Labryan Ray played very well in limited duty this year butdon’t know why he wasn’t in the rotation against Clemson and Mathis in the middle, plus Musika and Wynn. bring along Alfano , Dale and Eboigbe and we should be better as far as depth by the end of the season.

Last edited:

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
Somehow yesterday before the game, I didn't have a good feeling about the game. I couldn't put my finger on a reason and told myself that I was foolish. Although I accepted that Clemson could win, I didn't expect this.

A football game can be a strange thing. A few breaks go one way, a couple of big plays, and you have a blowout that magnifies the difference between the two teams. I've read Coach Saban's story about his first game at Michigan State against Nebraska during their dominant period. After the NU blowout, he says that Coach Osborne said that you're never as good as you think you are when you win and you're never as bad as you think are when you lose. I'm not calling for complacency, but panic isn't appropriate either.

A gunslinger QB like Tua always has a fair degree of arrogance that he can put the ball anywhere. It's what makes them great. Tua can and needs to improve his post-snap read. This should go along with some serious study of what Venables did to help us keep it from working in the future. You know that other schools will try and copy it.

I know the fanbase is still not completely comfortable with a greater emphasis on passing, but that's how things are, for better or worse. At times, I miss the wishbone from my student days. But a balanced offense is needed and we need to take advantage of the exceptional abilities Tua gives us, at least for one more year. After all, this was his first year as a starter.

I'll let others figure out the defense. I'm sure that Coach Saban will appreciate the help! ;)

I have no idea why we can't kick consistently. One of our 8,000 analysts perhaps can look at that.

Hopefully the 2019 team will have a chip on its shoulder that is hard to maintain when you're a defending champion.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Well, let's look at what happened last night...or maybe what was exposed last night:

1. injuries and lack of depth on the DL, Jack and ILB.
- we can blame this many ways- a few recruiting misses on the DL, injuries at Jack, and a combination of coaching and recruiting misses at ILB. Mack proved he can't make calls and make plays. He's almost like a backyard basketball player- looks great without structure. We simply had no one else other than Moses and Mack at ILB, and our starting four plus Ray at DL/Jack. Mathis is great against run teams, but that's not what we needed last night. Also, want to note, that we were still beat up from OU and the molesting that those refs allowed.

2. Tosh is still green. The only rushing three call really stands out (even though a DB busted coverage). Pruitt suffocated teams like Clemson.

3. Our offensive philosophy never truly gelled. Can anyone answer the question, "what offense are we?" Now, yes, we showed success at times running the ball. We had great success with Tua through the air. But, what happened to the OL in the process? They became pass blockers primarily in attitude and execution. What was stunning to me about last night was that when we decided to run on multiple plays in a row....something clicked. I'm excited about Enos because I think we are built for what he likes to run...."Arkansas with talent"

4. Depth is coming. Young DBs will get better. Young DL are arriving that will surprise a lot of people. Need one more ILB in this class, and I'll be happy.

5. There's enough talent that does not have a ring that this will motivate them. Nothing has been given to them, and they will have to go earn it. Plus, we'll have about 11 guys with good junior years who could go pro. That's motivation enough.
I'd also add that special teams/fg kicking caught up with us too.

Many wondered if we could win a NC with this bad of a kicking game. We got away with it all year, but that missed extra point to tie it at 14 was a psychological blow after he almost missed the first one. I think he then turned around and kicked the ball out of bounds for them to get the ball at the 35 and then we had a penalty that moved the ball to the 50...

And we probably should have got points on that first drive of the 3rd but we elected to go for it and got nothing.

So I think kicking caught up with us too...probably not the reason we lost...but I'll tell you I'd be suffering alot more right now if we would have lost in a close score simple because of kicking woes alone.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I'd also add that special teams/fg kicking caught up with us too.

Many wondered if we could win a NC with this bad of a kicking game. We got away with it all year, but that missed extra point to tie it at 14 was a psychological blow after he almost missed the first one. I think he then turned around and kicked the ball out of bounds for them to get the ball at the 35 and then we had a penalty that moved the ball to the 50...

And we probably should have got points on that first drive of the 3rd but we elected to go for it and got nothing.

So I think kicking caught up with us too...probably not the reason we lost...but I'll tell you I'd be suffering alot more right now if we would have lost in a close score simple because of kicking woes alone.
Our kicker apparently needs to bulk up so he can be a lead blocker.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
So I think kicking caught up with us too...
If you start to add it up, it does become significant. I think that out of bounds kick was critical to giving up the TD, so in my mind that's 8 points. Then, Saban was both reluctant to kick field goals and trying to narrow the gap, so you have a couple more field goals they would have tried otherwise most likely, so then it's 14 points. Does that make a difference in the game? May be not, but would have changed Alabama's choices in a few key spots that's for sure.

TidenLA

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2001
Sparks, Nevada
hummmmm, special teams.....KICKER comes to mind....Bolevas should be gone or benched when the new guy comes in....just horrible in clutch situations

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I remember my father telling me about the same kinds of fans calling for Coach Bryant’s head when he hit his rough patch........ then he went on to dominate the 70s......
After the 1969 and 1970 seasons. Bryant was “too old” and “the game had passed him by.”

Funny looking back because Joe Robbie of the Dolphins was ready to give Bryant a large chunk of change to become the next head coach..before settling for some guy named Don Shula.

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
I think we had some key injuries and suspensions that hurt us. Diggs, a couple of missing pass rushers, left guard.

However, we will be the best team in the world next season.

Clemson will be missing some serious talent going to the draft. Entire defensive line starters, and backups like Huggins. At least 2 offensive linemen, which were the real MVP for them last night. The media is building Lawrence up as if he's the greatest QB ever. He's not a generational talent, he was a bit shaky last night at times too.

Lawrence hit some big throws, and had an elite arm, but he wasn't exactly doing the same thing that Murray or certainly not Watson did to us. Putting the ball in key hole spaces under pressure. His completed throws under pressure were to wide open receivers. Or terrific one handed catches. That's where we'll get better next season. Well likely get our best corner back in Diggs, and have some growth. I expect vintage Bama defense next year. Pass rush and coverage will be better.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I think we had some key injuries and suspensions that hurt us. Diggs, a couple of missing pass rushers, left guard.

However, we will be the best team in the world next season.

Clemson will be missing some serious talent going to the draft. Entire defensive line starters, and backups like Huggins. At least 2 offensive linemen, which were the real MVP for them last night. The media is building Lawrence up as if he's the greatest QB ever. He's not a generational talent, he was a bit shaky last night at times too.

Lawrence hit some big throws, and had an elite arm, but he wasn't exactly doing the same thing that Murray or certainly not Watson did to us. Putting the ball in key hole spaces under pressure. His completed throws under pressure were to wide open receivers. Or terrific one handed catches. That's where we'll get better next season. Well likely get our best corner back in Diggs, and have some growth. I expect vintage Bama defense next year. Pass rush and coverage will be better.
I'm going to hold you to this ... lol

Lawrence is going to be a Heisman contender next year, I wouldn't be surprised if the add more plays to capitalize on his running ability next season. Not saying hes the best ever but hes going to be pretty good. I'm hoping we make him look pedestrian if we cross paths again.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
If you start to add it up, it does become significant. I think that out of bounds kick was critical to giving up the TD, so in my mind that's 8 points. Then, Saban was both reluctant to kick field goals and trying to narrow the gap, so you have a couple more field goals they would have tried otherwise most likely, so then it's 14 points. Does that make a difference in the game? May be not, but would have changed Alabama's choices in a few key spots that's for sure.
I also think our kicking issues spill over to other areas. Think about if you have a guy that is almost automatic from 50 yards and closer. As an offense you know all you need is to get inside the opponent’s 35 and you’re “putting points on the board”. And think how deflating it can be to get inside the 20 and miss “a chip shot”?

Defensively it probably makes you play tighter knowing special teams is leaving points on the field with missed PAT’s and give me field goals.

As you said, if Saban is thinking “I can’t trust the kicking game” you can pretty much bet that the players are thinking that as well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.