Changes for next year

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
The players lost for the year plus the players with nagging injuries eventually caught up with us. Hopefully, we won't be bitten by the injury bug next season.

TiderinAZ

1st Team
Sep 20, 2015
Carefree, AZ
I realize we are all disappointed in the loss last night, but let’s keep some perspective.

Tua was a #1 pick and heisman winner after last years game, today Trevor Lawrence is the favored one, a lot can change in a year.

I just heard on the on the radio that Dabo is now a better coach than cns, are we ready to replace him??

What Saban has done at Alabama is unprecedented and he has done it under adversity that no other coach in college football has faced.

I get so mad that he hasn’t won coach of the year more than once, considering what he has accomplished under the pressures of being coach at Alabama.

Let’s compare Clemson and Alabama.

How many coaches has Clemson lost from it’s staff in the last 10 years? I don’t know the answer, but my guess would be less than Alabama.

How many early enrollees for the draft have they had compared to Alabama?

How many player transfers?
Both of the above creating depth issues.

Clemson does not have to play a physical conference schedule every year and a now a “semi-final” sec championship game.

Has Clemson had to play as a front runner, with a target on their backs for 10 years, getting every teams best shot?
They’ve played each other so many times times now, Clemson knows Alabama like an sec west opponent.
I believe I heard that this senior class had a record of 55-3 (before last night), that’s 59 games! How many nfl players, play that many games over the course of four years?

How many rules have been changed to not give Saban a competitive advantage?

It is ridiculous, and anyone who says cns is not the goat, should be asked if they would trade their coach for him.

The sky is not falling. The rest of college football should have wished for Nick to win #7, cuz he is more likely to retire after that feat. Instead, he probably didn’t sleep last night, trying to figure how how to correct the failures.

Dabo is doing great things at Clemson. I’m happy for him because his is an alum, but get back to me when he has six national championships.

We should all send CNS a thank you note for what he has done for the university and let him know how much we appreciate him. Otherwise, people walk when they don’t feel valued.

Go Bama! Roll Tide!

Last edited:

ARollTideDad

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 6, 2018
After the 1969 and 1970 seasons. Bryant was “too old” and “the game had passed him by.”

Funny looking back because Joe Robbie of the Dolphins was ready to give Bryant a large chunk of change to become the next head coach..before settling for some guy named Don Shula.
Shula was an NFL champion coach before going to the Dolphins. Not really "some guy" ... :smile:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
The problem is that Dabo coached this entire year for yesterday's game. It's why he got rid of a 4th year QB that took them to the playoffs for a true freshman. He knew he'd need that to beat Bama and he knew his schedule would be weak enough that it wouldn't hurt him.

Saban has to worry about *getting* to the playoff. He's got to be able to beat TAMU and LSU and AU and UGA and *then* hopefully Clemson.
Now that FSU in the toilet, who challenges Clemson in the whole ACC? If I essentially had the whole year to gameplan against 1 opponent I would like my chances beating them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Funny how no one was complaining about RPOs and Tua when they were popping 50-60 on a team. What was so frustrating was hearing CNS say we’d take what the defense gave us. Last night they gave the run and we didn’t continue with it even though it was working. I’m fine with taking the “P and O” out of RPO if Tua don’t see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I realize we are all disappointed in the loss last night, but let’s keep some perspective.

Tua was a #1 pick and heisman winner after last years game, today Trevor Lawrence is the favored one, a lot can change in a year.

I just heard on the on the radio that Dabo is now a better coach than cns, are we ready to replace him??

What Saban has done at Alabama is unprecedented and he has done it under adversity that no other coach in college football has faced.

I get so mad that he hasn’t won coach of the year more than once, considering what he has accomplished under the pressures of being coach at Alabama.

Let’s compare Clemson and Alabama.

How many coaches has Clemson lost from it’s staff in the last 10 years? I don’t know the answer, but my guess would be less than Alabama.

How many early enrollees for the draft have they had compared to Alabama?

How many player transfers?
Both of the above creating depth issues.

Clemson does not have to play a physical conference schedule every year and a now a “semi-final” sec championship game.

Has Clemson had to play as a front runner, with a target on their backs for 10 years, getting every teams best shot?
They’ve played each other so many times times now, Clemson knows Alabama like an sec west opponent.
I believe I heard that this senior class had a record of 55-3 (before last night), that’s 59 games! How many nfl players, play that many games over the course of four years?

How many rules have been changed to not give Saban a competitive advantage?

It is ridiculous, and anyone who says cns is not the goat, should be asked if they would trade their coach for him.

The sky is not falling. The rest of college football should have wished for Nick to win #7, cuz he is more likely to retire after that feat. Instead, he probably didn’t sleep last night, trying to figure how how to correct the failures.

Dabo is doing great things at Clemson. I’m happy for him because his is an alum, but get back to me when he has six national championships.

We should all send CNS a thank you note for what he has done for the university and let him know how much we appreciate him. Otherwise, people walk when they don’t feel valued.

Go Bama! Roll Tide!
Heck, I’ve not seen anything like what he’s done since I have watched CFB........no way I’d ever want to get rid of him

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
For those that say Tua should have taken more of the short throws: most of those are middle of the field throws on our scheme. Clemson' s DEfensive line is pretty good at throwing up their hands and blocking middle field short passes. I think we need to incorporate more short out routes and curls. But we have not done that alot this season.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Has to begin with attitude. Our guys may have felt a little too entitled this year.
Almost everyone said we would win. Some said we might win in a blowout.
It gets in Players heads that it's gonna be an easy game.
It gets in Coaches heads that it's gonna be an easy game.
AND... Clemson was motivated. We were not motivated.
I can't blame Clemson for holding (they did), I can't blame the Refs for mistakes,
(They made a few)
I blame The Alabama Coaches and Team for not being prepared.
I don't remember anyone predicting Clemson Blowing us out.
We were out coached and out played the entire game.

I congratulate Dabo and Brent Venables for having the best game plan to defeat us.
The Clemson Team executed their game plan very well.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
For those that say Tua should have taken more of the short throws: most of those are middle of the field throws on our scheme. Clemson' s DEfensive line is pretty good at throwing up their hands and blocking middle field short passes. I think we need to incorporate more short out routes and curls. But we have not done that alot this season.
All season, Locksley alternated between “ wow, what a call” to “ what was he thinking?”......... I often wondered why he didn’t hit more of those quick outs when they presented themselves

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Well, let's look at what happened last night...or maybe what was exposed last night:

1. injuries and lack of depth on the DL, Jack and ILB.
- we can blame this many ways- a few recruiting misses on the DL, injuries at Jack, and a combination of coaching and recruiting misses at ILB. Mack proved he can't make calls and make plays. He's almost like a backyard basketball player- looks great without structure. We simply had no one else other than Moses and Mack at ILB, and our starting four plus Ray at DL/Jack. Mathis is great against run teams, but that's not what we needed last night. Also, want to note, that we were still beat up from OU and the molesting that those refs allowed.

2. Tosh is still green. The only rushing three call really stands out (even though a DB busted coverage). Pruitt suffocated teams like Clemson.

3. Our offensive philosophy never truly gelled. Can anyone answer the question, "what offense are we?" Now, yes, we showed success at times running the ball. We had great success with Tua through the air. But, what happened to the OL in the process? They became pass blockers primarily in attitude and execution. What was stunning to me about last night was that when we decided to run on multiple plays in a row....something clicked. I'm excited about Enos because I think we are built for what he likes to run...."Arkansas with talent"

4. Depth is coming. Young DBs will get better. Young DL are arriving that will surprise a lot of people. Need one more ILB in this class, and I'll be happy.

5. There's enough talent that does not have a ring that this will motivate them. Nothing has been given to them, and they will have to go earn it. Plus, we'll have about 11 guys with good junior years who could go pro. That's motivation enough.
Outstanding post, best I have read. I too am excited about Coach Enos taking over the offense, his style seems to be a better fit for what Coach Saban wants. This was not the Alabama defense we have come to expect, there were many reasons for the fall off, and I am sure CNS will get to the bottom of this even if it means replacing some assistants. I do believe the entitlement factor crept in, even before the Oklahoma game. This is squarely on the players and shows a clear lack of locker room leadership. The good news is that all of this is correctable, if the players are will to commit to correcting it.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Outstanding post, best I have read. I too am excited about Coach Enos taking over the offense, his style seems to be a better fit for what Coach Saban wants. This was not the Alabama defense we have come to expect, there were many reasons for the fall off, and I am sure CNS will get to the bottom of this even if it means replacing some assistants. I do believe the entitlement factor crept in, even before the Oklahoma game. This is squarely on the players and shows a clear lack of locker room leadership. The good news is that all of this is correctable, if the players are will to commit to correcting it.
I look for them to go into spring with some sincere motivation and desire to
win it all........I agree, all of those issues can and will be fixed, even if it means losing some assistants

Mke4Bama

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2006
Cullman (Good Hope)
I think it will do the fanbase good also.

A little quote from Coach Bryant:

[FONT=&quot]“It’s awfully important to win with humility. It’s also important to lose. I hate to lose worse than anyone, but if you never lose you won’t know how to act. If you lose with humility, then you can come back.”[/FONT]

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Can we now stop having ESPN do “Rolling with the Tide” specials? We had one in 2010 and one this past year. I vote no more of these.

I would not be opposed to doing one for clemson and see how they handle it.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think we had some key injuries and suspensions that hurt us. Diggs, a couple of missing pass rushers, left guard.

However, we will be the best team in the world next season.

Clemson will be missing some serious talent going to the draft. Entire defensive line starters, and backups like Huggins. At least 2 offensive linemen, which were the real MVP for them last night. The media is building Lawrence up as if he's the greatest QB ever. He's not a generational talent, he was a bit shaky last night at times too.

Lawrence hit some big throws, and had an elite arm, but he wasn't exactly doing the same thing that Murray or certainly not Watson did to us. Putting the ball in key hole spaces under pressure. His completed throws under pressure were to wide open receivers. Or terrific one handed catches. That's where we'll get better next season. Well likely get our best corner back in Diggs, and have some growth. I expect vintage Bama defense next year. Pass rush and coverage will be better.
he didn't have the huge chunk plays than lawrence did, but i think fromm was a better all around qb this year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.