Changes for next year

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Clarifying a post from a couple of pages back regarding our FG kicking....

I didn't mean to suggest the fg kicking was solely the reason we lost Monday night. My comments were simply adding to another post that listed several other areas of struggle.

I do think the kicking uncertainties/mistakes in the game were considerable and added to the overall struggle of the game, but obviously it was just a small part of the big problem.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Agree totally. If Williams and Davis declare as expected then I don't see how we don't see that next year at least with the d line. The only players returning with any real playing time are Ray and Mathis. I would expect the redshirts and incoming freshmen to get ample opportunity to see quality playing time. Hopefully Lewis and Allen return healthy and Jennings stays. Enoma should factor in as well but he really needs more bulk. I really hope some of these incoming freshmen are physically ready to contribute...
Now things are shaping up to have a very interesting SPRING GAME.
New guys will be jockeying for a position. Some of the old guys will have to work a little harder to get playing time. New coaches will have to prove their mettle, and any changes Coach Saban settles on will start showing up.

One thing is for sure... We will have our eye on Clemson.
I think Clemson prepared for us all year, a little at a time.
e know we will have tough games against LSU, Auburn, and TAMU.
If we can take em all, then we will have a tough game against Georgia, or Florida.
ALL THIS BEFORE ANY POSSIBLE PLAYOFF GAMES.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
One thing we should start doing is commit blatant pass interference and just see if we can get away with it. I swear, last night clemson could have grabbed our receivers, gave them a wedgie, and threw them into the stands to keep them from catching the pass and the refs still wouldn't have thrown a flag.[/QU

We should have been prepared for the holding. Looks like Holding is the new normal.
Teams have held us for a couple of years. Either our guys need to take acting classes to sell the idea, or we need to find another way.
It's like Clemson's Pick Plays... No one calls em for it.
Maybe we need to try a couple to see if they are gonna be called.
Maybe we need to maul a couple receivers to see if it's gonna draw a flag.

We have played against a stacked deck. We know things that should be called, and aren't.
Maybe we need to join them if the refs aren't gonna flag em...

(I don't like this at all, but it's the state of football these days.)

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
For those that say Tua should have taken more of the short throws: most of those are middle of the field throws on our scheme. Clemson' s DEfensive line is pretty good at throwing up their hands and blocking middle field short passes. I think we need to incorporate more short out routes and curls. But we have not done that alot this season.
Mainly talking about hitting the RBs out of the backfield in the flat or check down type routes. Those were open against Clemson all year. Several film breakdowns before the game by analysts showed Clemson had not been covering RBs out of the backfield for most of the season. Pretty stunning that we didn't take advantage of that. They were open in this game to but Tua was looking deep on almost every play..

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
Mainly talking about hitting the RBs out of the backfield in the flat or check down type routes. Those were open against Clemson all year. Several film breakdowns before the game by analysts showed Clemson had not been covering RBs out of the backfield for most of the season. Pretty stunning that we didn't take advantage of that. They were open in this game to but Tua was looking deep on almost every play..
I agree. But, I believe that problem may have moved north.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
I'd also add that special teams/fg kicking caught up with us too.

Many wondered if we could win a NC with this bad of a kicking game. We got away with it all year, but that missed extra point to tie it at 14 was a psychological blow after he almost missed the first one. I think he then turned around and kicked the ball out of bounds for them to get the ball at the 35 and then we had a penalty that moved the ball to the 50...

And we probably should have got points on that first drive of the 3rd but we elected to go for it and got nothing.

So I think kicking caught up with us too...probably not the reason we lost...but I'll tell you I'd be suffering alot more right now if we would have lost in a close score simple because of kicking woes alone.
I will go so far to say that the missed extra point was a pivotal moment in the game and may have been THE play that caused us to lose the game.

From then on, we seemed to get desperate. The whole gameplan and mentality seemed to change. We started getting pass happy, forcing throws, going for it on 4th downs instead of taking FG shots for points - hardly any of which worked in our favor. We panicked.

I would say the missed extra point broke our psyche and we never recovered...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.