Changes for next year

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Hire Brent Venables. Do whatever it takes.

Seriously though, once again, defense wins championships. Clemson had the best in the country. Bama had the worst in the Saban era.

18.1 ppg is simply unacceptable for this program with this history and this tradition. We all knew the offense would have to carry the defense this season. And it did just fine at that until you get to the championship level.

People like to scoff at it nowadays with tempo spread and RPO being the toast of the town. But “the same things win that always won... we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose.” “Work, self-discipline, sacrifice, teamwork, fighting to achieve...” I would add to that, especially when it comes to championships, defense.

I don’t really have anything super specific. I’m not a coach or X’s and O’s guy. I’ll leave the specifics to those folks who get paid millions for their expertise.

Inexperience in the secondary will take care of itself, as will trying to do too much at the QB position. Need better line depth on both sides of the ball.

Didn’t get pressure on sunshine all night, but that was largely a result of key injuries to our best pass rushers.

All I know is we need to get back to dominating on the defensive side of the ball. That is the hallmark of this program, if ever there was one.
Bama gave up 33 ppg after the AU game. That's a 3 game stretch of good teams. They went 2-1.

Bama has had more sub-par defenses since the end of 2012 than great defenses. 2013/2014/2017/2018 were all subpar. (for the Alabama standard) I'd put 2015/2016 as great.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Hire Brent Venables. Do whatever it takes.

Seriously though, once again, defense wins championships. Clemson had the best in the country. Bama had the worst in the Saban era.

18.1 ppg is simply unacceptable for this program with this history and this tradition. We all knew the offense would have to carry the defense this season. And it did just fine at that until you get to the championship level.

People like to scoff at it nowadays with tempo spread and RPO being the toast of the town. But “the same things win that always won... we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose.” “Work, self-discipline, sacrifice, teamwork, fighting to achieve...” I would add to that, especially when it comes to championships, defense.

I don’t really have anything super specific. I’m not a coach or X’s and O’s guy. I’ll leave the specifics to those folks who get paid millions for their expertise.

Inexperience in the secondary will take care of itself, as will trying to do too much at the QB position. Need better line depth on both sides of the ball.

Didn’t get pressure on sunshine all night, but that was largely a result of key injuries to our best pass rushers.

All I know is we need to get back to dominating on the defensive side of the ball. That is the hallmark of this program, if ever there was one.
Doubt he would leave Dabo. I think he likes what he's cooking at Clemson.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Doubt he would leave Dabo. I think he likes what he's cooking at Clemson.
Zero chance - if you read his recent interview Earle linked he loves the laid-back approach that Dabo has. Mentions having worked for people in the past (obviously referring to Bob Stoops) where winning was a relief, not something enjoyed, etc - all the things that describe CNS is precisely what he doesn't want.

Plus he's making something like $2m/year at Clemson. They'd match basically anything Bama threw his way if they thought he might actually come to UA, which he wouldn't.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I was pretty shocked to see QW sucking wind so badly midway through the 2nd quarter when Clemson had only had possession of the ball for like seven minutes, total.
At first, I thought Kirk was making too big of a deal out of it, but there was something to it. How could they have been gassed already?

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
I think we have all gotten to the point that winning is a relief. Coaches, players and fans. I know that I don't enjoy it as much as I used to and part of that is worrying about when the dynasty will end. I have always been wrapped pretty tight maybe I need to learn to relax more as I am fast approaching 60. RTR
Zero chance - if you read his recent interview Earle linked he loves the laid-back approach that Dabo has. Mentions having worked for people in the past (obviously referring to Bob Stoops) where winning was a relief, not something enjoyed, etc - all the things that describe CNS is precisely what he doesn't want.

Plus he's making something like $2m/year at Clemson. They'd match basically anything Bama threw his way if they thought he might actually come to UA, which he wouldn't.

mikeua69

All-American
Apr 16, 2002
Alabaster, AL
Buggs has looked slow the last half of the season. Not sure if he's still hurt or what. Davis has been non-existent and Williams needs better conditioning before going to the NFL

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Buggs has looked slow the last half of the season. Not sure if he's still hurt or what. Davis has been non-existent and Williams needs better conditioning before going to the NFL
Good luck with that. He's gone. Just yesterday Todd McShay said he could be the first overall pick.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
First of all Venables is this generations Bud Foster. He's paid head coach money with half the workload. He's great at what he does and he knows his place, a rare find in a workforce full of ambition and ego.

I think we are going to have to substitute far more liberally across the entire team because of the SEC schedule grind. Our guys get injured and fatigued through the schedule and in playoff time it shows. I think early and often substitutions would keep gas in the tank, avoid injury, and potentially discover greater talents who shine on the field brighter than they do in practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
At first, I thought Kirk was making too big of a deal out of it, but there was something to it. How could they have been gassed already?
Pretty much always the case for QW. He's max effort every play he's in and that kind of expenditure just can't be maintained. The constant double teaming just makes it worse, I'd imagine.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Only thing I could think of is maybe an injury has kept him from conditioning as much as he should've been. I remember he was in the tent during the OU game so that's the only thing that came to mind when seeing he was obviously out of shape last night..

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I'm not trying to make an excuse, but I really think the semi final game with Oklahoma took more out of us than we thought. Outside of Q, the d-line play most of the year had been sub standard. The fact of the matter is that Notre Dame offered the easier draw. Our defense was on the field a bunch versus Oklahoma. And it was a much more physical game than what Clemson experienced with the Irish. My thought is that Clemson may have been in a better position to get players rested and recovered than Bama was over the past week.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I'm not trying to make an excuse, but I really think the semi final game with Oklahoma took more out of us than we thought. Outside of Q, the d-line play most of the year had been sub standard. The fact of the matter is that Notre Dame offered the easier draw. Our defense was on the field a bunch versus Oklahoma. And it was a much more physical game than what Clemson experienced with the Irish. My thought is that Clemson may have been in a better position to get players rested and recovered than Bama was over the past week.
But we won the TOP battle in OU game 36 minutes to 24 minutes. These guys are trained to play football and 24 minutes of game action wore them out to the point they were still winded 9 days later? Maybe so but that's a stretch to me..

ARollTideDad

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 6, 2018
If you can't "get ready" to play in a week, after a typical, physical game, that's a problem. This wasn't the result of a game from a week ago.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If you can't "get ready" to play in a week, after a typical, physical game, that's a problem. This wasn't the result of a game from a week ago.
Maybe so, but the travel makes this a completely different situation than playing a road game in Knoxville followed by traveling to College Station the next week.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.