Changes for next year - Page 5
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Re: Changes for next year

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Idk if Enos has already been given/promised the OC job but I hope we go outside the program to find our next OC.
    Why?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

Chris Allen, Terrell Lewis, Christian Miller, Trevon Diggs, Jayln Armour-Davis, five guys who could have made a huge difference in this game. We started the year thin and inexperienced on defense and without those five guys it's amazing we made it this far. We have got to shake this injury bug, we can't recruit enough quality players to replace all that we are losing.
    BS 1989

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    Why?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I want a more creative OC. I would love to have another Kiffin type.

BamaNation Third Team

I would like to see much improved ILB play. This is the first time in years where that position has been a liability and not a great strength for us. Maybe spend less time trash talking and posing on the field when you're getting beat badly.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJeff View Post
    The dynasty will end at some point. You know that, right? Most likely you won't know that it was over until after the fact, but this was different than any other loss under Saban. This was the worst beat down Bama has had in a long, long time. I honestly can't remember one off the top of my head since it's been about 2 decades. Heck, Shula never lost a game by 28.
    I would agree with you, except, statistically, this wasn’t a beat down . Just a handful of plays and this could of been a win. I mean a 74 yard pass on third and long where the defender gets hurt at the line of scrimmage? An uncharacteristic pick 6 to start the game. An interception on what the QB thought was a go route, that the receiver wasn’t on the same page. THE only PI of the game kept a drive going ? And don’t get me started on red zone offense. Putting up points on those drives would of made the game different, The play calling different. Transitition year. Nick didn’t sound defeated in his presser, sounded like he took responsibility for the loss and sounded like he already decided to make changes that are necessary. We might not win it next year, but I’m pretty sure we will be contending again within 2 years. And then it might be over as Nick might ride off into the sunset.
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation Scout Team

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Bama didn't lose because of the stupid fake FG attempt. Bama lost because they were out-schemed (top down) and because Locks decided to kill drives over and over by being cute instead of continuing to run the ball down Clemson's throat when they couldn't stop it.
    Out-coached and failure to continue to pound the rock upon success. You nailed it. Nothing more needs to be said from an analysis perspective. One of the top defensive coaches in America used Tua's uncanny ability to perform the correct pre-snap reads against him by baiting him into wrong assessments. How could the Bama coaches not have foreseen this and plan (or adjust) accordingly? This is on the coaching staff first and foremost. A previous poster commented that staff turnover has caught up with the team. I agree 100%. These two points of analysis, when coupled with significantly reduced defensive depth and, might I offer, the insane level of entitlement that seems to have permeated certain members of the team, provide all the explanation required.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Bama didn't lose because of the stupid fake FG attempt. Bama lost because they were out-schemed (top down) and because Locks decided to kill drives over and over by being cute instead of continuing to run the ball down Clemson's throat when they couldn't stop it.
    Agreed but you gotta admit that was one of the worst fake field goals ever.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

We got away with alot of weaknesses that finally caught up to us at the absolutely wrong time:

1. Kicking game set the tone. Someone tweeted that the missed extra point really had a negative impact, psychologically.

2. Inability to run the ball at the goal line. We saw it earlier in the year and that became an unimaginalbe issue in that we were in the RZ all night long but couldn't gain a couple of yards when we got to the goal line.

3. And we got torched on the backend. Happened several times this year when we gave up big chunks and it happened last night.

I'm sure a few changes will be made but just getting nastier in the trenches and letting our young defense backfield grow up will fix most of it. Fixing the linebacker situation is also a top priority and that's beyong my pay grade.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I want a more creative OC. I would love to have another Kiffin type.
    I want to point out few things. We did run few of plays from Kiffin era. 2. We need Eno... because he can bring little more stability to the offense... run the ball little more efficient. run more play actions and still doing what we've been doing the same thing. We have to play to Tua's strength.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Some random thoughts:

Agree about the staff turnover problem. Venables has been at Clemson over 5 years I think. We need more continuity and people that WANT to be here and not just using us and Saban as a resume enhancer. 3 yr minimum no exceptions except HC offer or other upward career progression moves.

LB is a HUGE area of concern, especially the playcaller spot on D. If Mack wants to go out for the draft, frankly I wouldnt stand in his way. Iíd just let him go if I were Saban. Also desperately need more depth at DL. In todayís game if you donít have elite pass rushers you ainít got nothing on D.

I think our philosophy on O is good, but we DO need a bruiser who is a downhill runner w/strong burst ability and a couple of 6í3Ē+ WRís that can be physical. Hopefully Trey Sanders can step in and fill the rb need. Having a physical run game in your hip pocket has served us very well, see Ingram, Richardson, Henry, etc.

On last nights game specifically, I just think the other team wanted it more and our guys were not mentally prepared, which I blame on the coaches. They are paid millions of dollars to have the team ready to play, and they failed miserably to do that last night. And certainly no way we should have ever lost by the margin that we did. THAT is the part that bothers me. Clemson is not 28 pts better than us.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; January 8th, 2019 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    We got away with alot of weaknesses that finally caught up to us at the absolutely wrong time:

1. Kicking game set the tone. Someone tweeted that the missed extra point really had a negative impact, psychologically.

2. Inability to run the ball at the goal line. We saw it earlier in the year and that became an unimaginalbe issue in that we were in the RZ all night long but couldn't gain a couple of yards when we got to the goal line.

3. And we got torched on the backend. Happened several times this year when we gave up big chunks and it happened last night.

I'm sure a few changes will be made but just getting nastier in the trenches and letting our young defense backfield grow up will fix most of it. Fixing the linebacker situation is also a top priority and that's beyong my pay grade.
    Our goal line package should change. We bring so many big guys in the game, our backs have no holes to run through. I like the 3 wide sets, single TE , the splits are wider on the dline. Then let the back pick a hole, especially if you only need half a yard.
    Last edited by bamaga; January 8th, 2019 at 08:53 AM.
    to 16 and beyond........

I'm torn on the staff continuity aspect. For years, we've taken pride in other teams wanting our coaches because of the success the team has had. If people aren't coming after your coaches, that's usually a problem.

Then again, having the same guys in place for years helps with the players and the other coaches knowing what to do because they know what you want to do.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by russtang View Post
    No major changes IMO.

Play calling has to be better against good teams-when it counts.

Tua needs to be coached that it's ok to throw underneath or to backs for 10 yards at a time instead of homerun every play.

More power run game. Oline needs to work on that.

Staff continuity would help IMO.

I don't know what to say about defense. Assignments, alignments, calls etc.
    Less injuries would make a big difference.

Special teams that weren't a liability would be great.
    All good points. I think the staff continuity is something we have overlooked.