Changes for next year

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I do think mental fatigue may have been an issue. Bama closed out with UGA and OK. Not to mention the grind of the whole month of November. It's all speculation on our part. We can't look into the heads of these guys to really know where they were mentally. I do think we will see a better defense next year especially in defensive backfield. Lots of guys got alot of experience and Diggs will also be back. I love what we have coming back on offense and the addition of Sanders should be interesting. The future is bright. History tells us CNS will adjust and change because of this loss.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Over react much? Everytime Bama loses a game this garbage comes out of the mouths of fans and talking heads on television. You can't win them all. There were 5 to 6 crucial moments in the game that all went against Bama or that game is coming down to the end. Everyone of those plays went Clemson's way. I've heard the dynasty is over crap since Johnny Foozball and Gus with his Mickey Mouse offense. Clemson played the better game last night. The reality is there are now two functional dynasty level programs in college football existing at the same time, and we will win some and lose some against them. Calm down and get a hold of yourself or stop posting.
How quickly some forget just three years ago...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I could be off here but its just a thought.

Like some others here I have wondered all year about our coordinators. Our defense has been a little down this year and while part of that was losing a lot on the back end we still seemed to have plenty of talent. I think injuries and lack of depth at specific positions played a roll but it still felt off for some reason.

And then there was the offense. It was shattering record for Alabama and yet it still felt like it was almost underachieving at times especially against tougher teams. Again injuries to Tua losing Brown for various reasons hurt us but it still seemed like we should be even better. With the amount of talent we have I wondered if we could even really evaluate our OC accurately. (I will say I think Enos must have done some great things with using Irv in the passing game).

So, basically my question is, is it possible that we have the same problem with our OC and/or DC this year that we had previously with Jalen at QB?

While they are good at their jobs and can find a ton of success they aren't quite good enough to win it all. They aren't good enough at adjusting or even game planning against certain caliber of teams.

I may be off here I don't know the coaches histories well enough as its not something I've paid as much attention to until recently and maybe I'm overreacting to one game like many here.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
The D-Line substitution pattern is because we have lost so many kids to the NFL. We are simply thin on guys ready to play. Enoma is probably going to be a star, but he is too small right now. He needs 20 more pounds. I thought Jennings played a great game, but he can't do it alone. Buggs I still slowed by the dirty play in the Auburn Game and I have no idea where Davis has been. We've been plug and play for years, but eventually early exits leave you very little depth. Imagine Daron Payne still being here along with Q. It would have made a huge difference.

Offensively, we are fine. We gained as many yards as they did, but we gotten away from being physical, and have become a finesse team. We need to get back into the running the ball and the "Make them Quit" philosophy. We tend to look for the big play at times instead of the right play. Tua wants to throw a touchdown every play, but sometimes you gotta take the check down. Clemson had big plays on check down screen plays.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I think Nicks reaction was more subdued because he knew the offense covered a lot of flaws this year, and they were whistling past the grave most of the year on defense. Realistically, I keep coming back to this, but if the offense scores on some of those possessions, this is a different ball game. The defense was pretty good except on third down.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think Nicks reaction was more subdued because he knew the offense covered a lot of flaws this year, and they were whistling past the grave most of the year on defense. Realistically, I keep coming back to this, but if the offense scores on some of those possessions, this is a different ball game. The defense was pretty good except on third down.
This game was closer than the score. A bad coaching job and some terrible play calls on our end made it a blow out.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Alabama let things snowball, while Clemson played a remarkably mistake free game. First was the pick 6, huge play obviously. Then there was another turn over, penalties, missed extra point, kick out of bounds, etc...

And those things either lead to points for Clemson or took them away from Alabama. By the time the second half started Alabama was in a hole and more desperate than they should have been. It was just the worst possible time to do all those things wrong...

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Changes ... re-invent domination. Figure out how to have a consistent dominant D that make teams quit with and explosive offense and a powerful running game.

We changed how folks thought about they developed their programs. We changed how folks looked at defense. We changed how folks looked at offense. Now lets do all of this together and see what the results are ... without the bragging and the overconfidence. Each coach and player and personnel dedicate themselves to domination and let their results speak for themselves.

That's the change I want to see.

And it's not like this program doens't know how to do this ... the reputation this program has is because of the ability for previous teams to dominate, especially on defense.

But that in my opinion is what we have to get back to.

Because as good as this team was/is ... last night proved that the one thing they weren't, when they needed to be when it counted the most, was be a team that dominated their competition.

Last edited:

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Had problems with running game once we got down to red zone and then it was tough sledding. Probably needed to run the ball until the red area then throw once we got down there.
I thought we should have given it to Jacobs down there. Has he ever failed on converting 4th and short? He was our best back. I get a feeling he will be better than Kamara in the NFL. His game translates really well to the next level.
Agreed but you gotta admit that was one of the worst fake field goals ever.
Yea we killed Kirby but that was right up there with that. I just kept thinking Kirby is somewhere smiling right now.
I said this to a buddy of mine earlier in the season. I like all of our RB's, Jacobs is my favorite, and I believe they will all play in the NFL but none of them appear to be as capable as RBs in the past of carrying the team.
I think Jacobs could have carried this team. He is so slick with the ball. He didn't get the carries but can you name a game this year where he was not dominate in limited playing time? We could have ran the ball all night if we wanted to. I just think Jacobs is a better goal line back than DH.
I was pretty shocked to see QW sucking wind so badly midway through the 2nd quarter when Clemson had only had possession of the ball for like seven minutes, total.
He was giving maximum effort and they were holding him. Clipping him pushing him in the back. They could have called a hold on every play he rushed the passer.
No me, my man - I love watching the game, love watching them play. But I'm not really anxious over the game as it literally has zero effect on my life. It's just something I enjoy, and if I ever don't I'll stop watching.
I need to evolve to this state. My stomach was already tight before the game started. Just didn't have a good feeling. I love when we blow out the competition but I also love those thrilling endings even though they give me heart burn.

tidenative

Scout Team
Sep 25, 2016
We need to get back to smash mouth football. I enjoyed airing it out and it was kind of fun. It’s time to get back to basics. Used to be when our defense would hit a ball carrier they were stopped in their tracks.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
The sky is falling, fire everyone! Don’t renew any scholarships. Meanwhile, Vegas has enough faith in Saban that Bama’s odds for next year are +250, Clemson is the favorite at +175.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We need to get back to smash mouth football. I enjoyed airing it out and it was kind of fun. It’s time to get back to basics. Used to be when our defense would hit a ball carrier they were stopped in their tracks.
This year 67% of our offense came through passing. I'm kinda surprised it wasn't slightly higher. We've been a passing team all year even when we could have run the ball more.

As for changes next year, I don't think we'll see a return to "ground and pound" as much as it'll be a pulling back of the reins on the passing game. I don't even think it'll be a 50-50 split either, but closer to something like 60-40 or 55-45.

It's not that we don't want the ability to throw it, but we need to be able to rely on the ground game more.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I'm not trying to make an excuse, but I really think the semi final game with Oklahoma took more out of us than we thought. Outside of Q, the d-line play most of the year had been sub standard. The fact of the matter is that Notre Dame offered the easier draw. Our defense was on the field a bunch versus Oklahoma. And it was a much more physical game than what Clemson experienced with the Irish. My thought is that Clemson may have been in a better position to get players rested and recovered than Bama was over the past week.
I don't know how much the players were affected by the semi-final matchups but I think the coaching staffs were. JessN made an excellent point about how Clemson probably spent most of December actually preparing for Alabama rather than Notre Dame. They probably felt they could handle Notre Dame easily so they started planning ahead. Meanwhile our coaching staff knew it would be quite a challenge slowing down Kyler Murray so we had to spend most of December focusing on Oklahoma with only very limited time to think about Clemson. So I think the reason we played so poorly against Clemson is because they had spent much more time preparing for us than we did for them.

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012
I slept like a baby last night.

As always, I stayed up a little later after watching any big game, win or lose.

As I said in another thread, the big picture is we've played for a NC 7 out of the last 10 years and we've won 5. And it's not like we are going to be bad next year either.

It's a new day God has given us. Rejoice in it!
Yup. What major league baseball player wouldn’t love to bat .500? Bama bats .500 for national championships.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I don't know how much the players were affected by the semi-final matchups but I think the coaching staffs were. JessN made an excellent point about how Clemson probably spent most of December actually preparing for Alabama rather than Notre Dame. They probably felt they could handle Notre Dame easily so they started planning ahead. Meanwhile our coaching staff knew it would be quite a challenge slowing down Kyler Murray so we had to spend most of December focusing on Oklahoma with only very limited time to think about Clemson. So I think the reason we played so poorly against Clemson is because they had spent much more time preparing for us than we did for them.
Something has to explain being embarrassed by that cult.

Yeah, I know.................some will be offended that I am not giving Clemson credit for how they played, just because I can not stand Dumbo. No, that is not it. Trust me. Or not. Yes, they deserve credit, all of them, for a great game. Top to bottom.

We just gave them too much help. Ok, pick 6.............it happens, to the best of them. Another interception............well, maybe one player felt he had to make all the plays by himself. And some days, he has to make all the plays. But, that also happens.

What should not happen, with all of our talent, on and off the field, is 3 straight long drives with ZERO points. Ok, once................yeah, they got us. Twice? Something might be wrong. Three? Time to head to the showers. Leave 21 points on the field, and you are doing something wrong, and it isn't likely to change.

How does that happen, outside of Bizarro World? No, something is wrong.

(That game was too much like the Disaster in the Pasture, where we could not convert on 3rd and short, all game long. Another Bizarro World game.) (Good thing no one pays me millions of bucks to figure out what and why.)

Or.................maybe.......................there is a reason the #1 team hasn't won it all, the last few seasons. Maybe the ol' "Give Nick Saban a month to prepare for a team" also works for the other guy.

I'm gonna go with that one. Will make the whole of the year of hearing Zero U fans going "Ha, ha............we ruined your season!" easier to take.

Luckily, CNS really hates losing. Luckily, he is the guy get paid millions of bucks to figure it all out.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
We need some changed made this year. I am confident CNS will do what needs to be done.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Some of these callers I've heard on the radio today are in rare form on 3 Man Front. One even suggested that the change Alabama needed to make was to let CNS go, and talk to Dabo about taking over the program before next season. This was all in the name of CNS not meeting Alabama's expectations of winning national championships. Absolutely incredible of a statement to make! I'm all for having high standards, people need them, but wow.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.