Changes for next year - Page 7
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Changes for next year

Quote Originally Posted by ARollTideDad View Post
    I will likely get blasted for this:

I am not sure the D line was very good, in the holistic sense. And yes, I mean Davis, Williams(top 5 draft status!!!) and Buggs - undeniably all "really good players".

I saw all three quit on plays from the first game through to the last - and it looked like conditioning, effort, or both. For the value of their individual skills and abilities, the sum of their parts did not add up.

I mention this because in some ways it seems like a microcosm of this entire Alabama team: winning, sometimes in spectacular fashion, based on the overwhelming talent performing as expected reliably enough. When bad luck, a well prepared opponent, or an adversary that "wants it more" came along, talent was not enough to overcome.
    Raekwon and Buggs both disappointed me this year. Q was outstanding but he needed some help. I would have liked to see Ray get more snaps because he will have to step up and be the man next season. I'm not convinced the other backups are ready yet but I'm a big fan of Coach Kool so if anyone can get these guys ready I believe it is him.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I was pretty shocked to see QW sucking wind so badly midway through the 2nd quarter when Clemson had only had possession of the ball for like seven minutes, total.
    I did not understand that either.

Quote Originally Posted by PacadermaTideUs View Post
    Hire Brent Venables. Do whatever it takes.

Seriously though, once again, defense wins championships. Clemson had the best in the country. Bama had the worst in the Saban era.

18.1 ppg is simply unacceptable for this program with this history and this tradition. We all knew the offense would have to carry the defense this season. And it did just fine at that until you get to the championship level.

People like to scoff at it nowadays with tempo spread and RPO being the toast of the town. But “the same things win that always won... we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose.” “Work, self-discipline, sacrifice, teamwork, fighting to achieve...” I would add to that, especially when it comes to championships, defense.

I don’t really have anything super specific. I’m not a coach or X’s and O’s guy. I’ll leave the specifics to those folks who get paid millions for their expertise.

Inexperience in the secondary will take care of itself, as will trying to do too much at the QB position. Need better line depth on both sides of the ball.

Didn’t get pressure on sunshine all night, but that was largely a result of key injuries to our best pass rushers.

All I know is we need to get back to dominating on the defensive side of the ball. That is the hallmark of this program, if ever there was one.
    Bama gave up 33 ppg after the AU game. That's a 3 game stretch of good teams. They went 2-1.

Bama has had more sub-par defenses since the end of 2012 than great defenses. 2013/2014/2017/2018 were all subpar. (for the Alabama standard) I'd put 2015/2016 as great.
    ----
    B.A. from The University of Alabama (during the Fran/Shula years) so don't question my fandom.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PacadermaTideUs View Post
    Hire Brent Venables. Do whatever it takes.

Seriously though, once again, defense wins championships. Clemson had the best in the country. Bama had the worst in the Saban era.

18.1 ppg is simply unacceptable for this program with this history and this tradition. We all knew the offense would have to carry the defense this season. And it did just fine at that until you get to the championship level.

People like to scoff at it nowadays with tempo spread and RPO being the toast of the town. But the same things win that always won... we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose. Work, self-discipline, sacrifice, teamwork, fighting to achieve... I would add to that, especially when it comes to championships, defense.

I dont really have anything super specific. Im not a coach or Xs and Os guy. Ill leave the specifics to those folks who get paid millions for their expertise.

Inexperience in the secondary will take care of itself, as will trying to do too much at the QB position. Need better line depth on both sides of the ball.

Didnt get pressure on sunshine all night, but that was largely a result of key injuries to our best pass rushers.

All I know is we need to get back to dominating on the defensive side of the ball. That is the hallmark of this program, if ever there was one.
    Doubt he would leave Dabo. I think he likes what he's cooking at Clemson.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post
    Doubt he would leave Dabo. I think he likes what he's cooking at Clemson.
    Zero chance - if you read his recent interview Earle linked he loves the laid-back approach that Dabo has. Mentions having worked for people in the past (obviously referring to Bob Stoops) where winning was a relief, not something enjoyed, etc - all the things that describe CNS is precisely what he doesn't want.

Plus he's making something like $2m/year at Clemson. They'd match basically anything Bama threw his way if they thought he might actually come to UA, which he wouldn't.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

I was pretty shocked to see QW sucking wind so badly midway through the 2nd quarter when Clemson had only had possession of the ball for like seven minutes, total.
    At first, I thought Kirk was making too big of a deal out of it, but there was something to it. How could they have been gassed already?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    At first, I thought Kirk was making too big of a deal out of it, but there was something to it. How could they have been gassed already?
    Yeah i thought the 4th quarter program addressed those issues

I think we have all gotten to the point that winning is a relief. Coaches, players and fans. I know that I don't enjoy it as much as I used to and part of that is worrying about when the dynasty will end. I have always been wrapped pretty tight maybe I need to learn to relax more as I am fast approaching 60. RTR
    Zero chance - if you read his recent interview Earle linked he loves the laid-back approach that Dabo has. Mentions having worked for people in the past (obviously referring to Bob Stoops) where winning was a relief, not something enjoyed, etc - all the things that describe CNS is precisely what he doesn't want.

Plus he's making something like $2m/year at Clemson. They'd match basically anything Bama threw his way if they thought he might actually come to UA, which he wouldn't.

BamaNation All-American mikeua69's Avatar

Buggs has looked slow the last half of the season. Not sure if he's still hurt or what. Davis has been non-existent and Williams needs better conditioning before going to the NFL
    RTR

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Influenza? Affluenza? IDK, but something was wrong.

Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeua69 View Post
    Buggs has looked slow the last half of the season. Not sure if he's still hurt or what. Davis has been non-existent and Williams needs better conditioning before going to the NFL
    Good luck with that. He's gone. Just yesterday Todd McShay said he could be the first overall pick.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar

First of all Venables is this generations Bud Foster. He's paid head coach money with half the workload. He's great at what he does and he knows his place, a rare find in a workforce full of ambition and ego.

I think we are going to have to substitute far more liberally across the entire team because of the SEC schedule grind. Our guys get injured and fatigued through the schedule and in playoff time it shows. I think early and often substitutions would keep gas in the tank, avoid injury, and potentially discover greater talents who shine on the field brighter than they do in practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

BamaNation All-American

Pretty much always the case for QW. He's max effort every play he's in and that kind of expenditure just can't be maintained. The constant double teaming just makes it worse, I'd imagine.