Changes for next year

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I want a more creative OC. I would love to have another Kiffin type.
I want to point out few things. We did run few of plays from Kiffin era. 2. We need Eno... because he can bring little more stability to the offense... run the ball little more efficient. run more play actions and still doing what we've been doing the same thing. We have to play to Tua's strength.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Some random thoughts:

Agree about the staff turnover problem. Venables has been at Clemson over 5 years I think. We need more continuity and people that WANT to be here and not just using us and Saban as a resume enhancer. 3 yr minimum no exceptions except HC offer or other upward career progression moves.

LB is a HUGE area of concern, especially the playcaller spot on D. If Mack wants to go out for the draft, frankly I wouldnt stand in his way. I’d just let him go if I were Saban. Also desperately need more depth at DL. In today’s game if you don’t have elite pass rushers you ain’t got nothing on D.

I think our philosophy on O is good, but we DO need a bruiser who is a downhill runner w/strong burst ability and a couple of 6’3”+ WR’s that can be physical. Hopefully Trey Sanders can step in and fill the rb need. Having a physical run game in your hip pocket has served us very well, see Ingram, Richardson, Henry, etc.

On last nights game specifically, I just think the other team wanted it more and our guys were not mentally prepared, which I blame on the coaches. They are paid millions of dollars to have the team ready to play, and they failed miserably to do that last night. And certainly no way we should have ever lost by the margin that we did. THAT is the part that bothers me. Clemson is not 28 pts better than us.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
We got away with alot of weaknesses that finally caught up to us at the absolutely wrong time:

1. Kicking game set the tone. Someone tweeted that the missed extra point really had a negative impact, psychologically.

2. Inability to run the ball at the goal line. We saw it earlier in the year and that became an unimaginalbe issue in that we were in the RZ all night long but couldn't gain a couple of yards when we got to the goal line.

3. And we got torched on the backend. Happened several times this year when we gave up big chunks and it happened last night.

I'm sure a few changes will be made but just getting nastier in the trenches and letting our young defense backfield grow up will fix most of it. Fixing the linebacker situation is also a top priority and that's beyong my pay grade.
Our goal line package should change. We bring so many big guys in the game, our backs have no holes to run through. I like the 3 wide sets, single TE , the splits are wider on the dline. Then let the back pick a hole, especially if you only need half a yard.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm torn on the staff continuity aspect. For years, we've taken pride in other teams wanting our coaches because of the success the team has had. If people aren't coming after your coaches, that's usually a problem.

Then again, having the same guys in place for years helps with the players and the other coaches knowing what to do because they know what you want to do.

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
No major changes IMO.

Play calling has to be better against good teams-when it counts.

Tua needs to be coached that it's ok to throw underneath or to backs for 10 yards at a time instead of homerun every play.

More power run game. Oline needs to work on that.

Staff continuity would help IMO.

I don't know what to say about defense. Assignments, alignments, calls etc.
Less injuries would make a big difference.

Special teams that weren't a liability would be great.
All good points. I think the staff continuity is something we have overlooked.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Chris Allen, Terrell Lewis, Christian Miller, Trevon Diggs, Jayln Armour-Davis, five guys who could have made a huge difference in this game. We started the year thin and inexperienced on defense and without those five guys it's amazing we made it this far. We have got to shake this injury bug, we can't recruit enough quality players to replace all that we are losing.
That's something Jeff and Scott will address in offseason.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
1) While I agree that the coaches are paid a lot of money to prepare the players to win, let's also not forget that they're 18-22 year olds who are still learning how to be mentally ready for a 15-game season. Down to each player, it's a case-by-case basis on who "gets it", and who is "still learning". I'd argue that a lot of the player attrition due to the NFL caught up a bit this year, especially on defense.

2) Staying on that front, I believe there's a lot of good a loss like this can do to a team's psyche, and how they self-scout themselves in preparation for next season. Granted, this kind of loss can have just the opposite effect, and send the team on a long, slow decline. But, I believe there's some relationship to the idea that the more you are successful, the more likely you will begin to believe in your superiority, and that leads to a type of arrogance that doesn't handle beatdowns like last night very well. We have a lot of young players being pressed into service before they're ready mentally (just a fact of the game as it stands today).

3) I believe that CNS hired Enos as a long-term plan that Locksley would leave eventually, and CNS could return to more of an offense he prefers. Enos may actually be the guy that can help the offense in a shootout, AND the guy that'll help control the ball with the RBs. Plus, Enos would still be the QB coach as per his background, which leads me to agree to JessN's assertion (I believe) that it'll be a defensive assistant that replaces Locksley's slot, not an offensive one.

4) I do think that CNS still has a couple of titles left in him, and his overall track record speaks for itself when it comes to self-diagnosing problems during the season, and fixing them in the offseason. However, I agree with JessN that he has to adapt in his substitution patterns to help out his DL and WRs. Heaven forbid Jeudy, DeVonta, Ruggs, and Irv all leave after next year, and the WRs leftover (with the exception of Waddle) are still incredibly green. Dabo has figured out how to substitute his players on some regular basis, and keep his bench players interested in the game.

5) Coaching turnover - I can't speak for working under any college football coach, but it is well known publicly that working for CNS is tough, tough work. It is professionally rewarding when you decide to move on, but we all know he runs a meat-grinder of a schedule, particularly when it comes to recruiting. It's what's made him and Alabama successful, and I don't see why he would change that now. But, I do believe this knowledge plays a part in the coaching turnover, when coaches decide to leave, and when coaches decide to not come to Alabama. Venables was asked why he hasn't left Clemson for a HC opportunity, and he basically said that it's due to the work-life balance that Dabo has created for his staff. Maybe CNS needs to re-evaluate that side of it to help keep some of his coaches with him, I don't know for sure.

6) If you look at the history of college football dynasties, these losses happen. I'm not happy that it occurred, but I'm also not sure some of the comments and statements made by the fans in the last 12-14 hours are healthy either. Like a poster said earlier, dynasties rise and fall, and at some point, Alabama will have to come to grips with that, especially when CNS leaves. As much as I'd like to think that Alabama will just keep churning along immediately past CNS, history suggests otherwise. You never want to be THE GUY that replaces THE GUY, no matter how successful they have been before they come to Alabama to coach college football. Enjoy this run. I don't think it's the end of the world for CNS and the program; 55-4 in the last four years with four consecutive national championship game opportunities, and "only" winning 2 of them? Now that Meyer has left, that leaves Dabo, Saban, and Fisher as the only coaches that have won NCs that are still coaching. Trust the Process, and again, ENJOY THIS RUN!!!

Roll Tide.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Y
1) While I agree that the coaches are paid a lot of money to prepare the players to win, let's also not forget that they're 18-22 year olds who are still learning how to be mentally ready for a 15-game season. Down to each player, it's a case-by-case basis on who "gets it", and who is "still learning". I'd argue that a lot of the player attrition due to the NFL caught up a bit this year, especially on defense.

2) Staying on that front, I believe there's a lot of good a loss like this can do to a team's psyche, and how they self-scout themselves in preparation for next season. Granted, this kind of loss can have just the opposite effect, and send the team on a long, slow decline. But, I believe there's some relationship to the idea that the more you are successful, the more likely you will begin to believe in your superiority, and that leads to a type of arrogance that doesn't handle beatdowns like last night very well. We have a lot of young players being pressed into service before they're ready mentally (just a fact of the game as it stands today).

3) I believe that CNS hired Enos as a long-term plan that Locksley would leave eventually, and CNS could return to more of an offense he prefers. Enos may actually be the guy that can help the offense in a shootout, AND the guy that'll help control the ball with the RBs. Plus, Enos would still be the QB coach as per his background, which leads me to agree to JessN's assertion (I believe) that it'll be a defensive assistant that replaces Locksley's slot, not an offensive one.

4) I do think that CNS still has a couple of titles left in him, and his overall track record speaks for itself when it comes to self-diagnosing problems during the season, and fixing them in the offseason. However, I agree with JessN that he has to adapt in his substitution patterns to help out his DL and WRs. Heaven forbid Jeudy, DeVonta, Ruggs, and Irv all leave after next year, and the WRs leftover (with the exception of Waddle) are still incredibly green. Dabo has figured out how to substitute his players on some regular basis, and keep his bench players interested in the game.

5) Coaching turnover - I can't speak for working under any college football coach, but it is well known publicly that working for CNS is tough, tough work. It is professionally rewarding when you decide to move on, but we all know he runs a meat-grinder of a schedule, particularly when it comes to recruiting. It's what's made him and Alabama successful, and I don't see why he would change that now. But, I do believe this knowledge plays a part in the coaching turnover, when coaches decide to leave, and when coaches decide to not come to Alabama. Venables was asked why he hasn't left Clemson for a HC opportunity, and he basically said that it's due to the work-life balance that Dabo has created for his staff. Maybe CNS needs to re-evaluate that side of it to help keep some of his coaches with him, I don't know for sure.

6) If you look at the history of college football dynasties, these losses happen. I'm not happy that it occurred, but I'm also not sure some of the comments and statements made by the fans in the last 12-14 hours are healthy either. Like a poster said earlier, dynasties rise and fall, and at some point, Alabama will have to come to grips with that, especially when CNS leaves. As much as I'd like to think that Alabama will just keep churning along immediately past CNS, history suggests otherwise. You never want to be THE GUY that replaces THE GUY, no matter how successful they have been before they come to Alabama to coach college football. Enjoy this run. I don't think it's the end of the world for CNS and the program; 55-4 in the last four years with four consecutive national championship game opportunities, and "only" winning 2 of them? Now that Meyer has left, that leaves Dabo, Saban, and Fisher as the only coaches that have won NCs that are still coaching. Trust the Process, and again, ENJOY THIS RUN!!!

Roll Tide.
. You forgot Les Miles at Kansas, But I get your point.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

Roll Tide.
All good points..... and I agree about Enos...... he did a lot of good at Arkansas

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I think there was some scoffing when I started saying this last season, but from what I've seen the key to Alabama's success is a dominant running back, not a dominant quarterback. Tua joins the list now, but Alabama actually hasn't won most their championships with quarterbacks having great seasons. It tends to be quarterbacks having ok seasons and a team that leans on the running back (dominant seasons, like they had from Ingram, Richardson, Lacy, and Henry). It doesn't take a lot of imagination to see how that could have changed the outcome this game.

If Alabama isn't slinging the ball around, they might have less big plays, but they also probably don't have the two turnovers. Furthermore, if they did have a dominant power running game, it's harder to imagine Alabama being kept out of the end zone as often either... so there is something to not becoming overly reliant on great quarterback play, because there's so much finesse required there, while a powerful running back is more reliable.
I said this to a buddy of mine earlier in the season. I like all of our RB's, Jacobs is my favorite, and I believe they will all play in the NFL but none of them appear to be as capable as RBs in the past of carrying the team.

ARollTideDad

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 6, 2018
Bama loses the entire D line. ?
I will likely get blasted for this:

I am not sure the D line was very good, in the holistic sense. And yes, I mean Davis, Williams(top 5 draft status!!!) and Buggs - undeniably all "really good players".

I saw all three quit on plays from the first game through to the last - and it looked like conditioning, effort, or both. For the value of their individual skills and abilities, the sum of their parts did not add up.

I mention this because in some ways it seems like a microcosm of this entire Alabama team: winning, sometimes in spectacular fashion, based on the overwhelming talent performing as expected reliably enough. When bad luck, a well prepared opponent, or an adversary that "wants it more" came along, talent was not enough to overcome.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Hire Brent Venables. Do whatever it takes.

Seriously though, once again, defense wins championships. Clemson had the best in the country. Bama had the worst in the Saban era.

18.1 ppg is simply unacceptable for this program with this history and this tradition. We all knew the offense would have to carry the defense this season. And it did just fine at that until you get to the championship level.

People like to scoff at it nowadays with tempo spread and RPO being the toast of the town. But “the same things win that always won... we just have a different bunch of excuses if we lose.” “Work, self-discipline, sacrifice, teamwork, fighting to achieve...” I would add to that, especially when it comes to championships, defense.

I don’t really have anything super specific. I’m not a coach or X’s and O’s guy. I’ll leave the specifics to those folks who get paid millions for their expertise.

Inexperience in the secondary will take care of itself, as will trying to do too much at the QB position. Need better line depth on both sides of the ball.

Didn’t get pressure on sunshine all night, but that was largely a result of key injuries to our best pass rushers.

All I know is we need to get back to dominating on the defensive side of the ball. That is the hallmark of this program, if ever there was one.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

I am not sure the D line was very good, in the holistic sense. And yes, I mean Davis, Williams(top 5 draft status!!!) and Buggs - undeniably all "really good players".

I saw all three quit on plays from the first game through to the last - and it looked like conditioning, effort, or both. For the value of their individual skills and abilities, the sum of their parts did not add up.

I mention this because in some ways it seems like a microcosm of this entire Alabama team: winning, sometimes in spectacular fashion, based on the overwhelming talent performing as expected reliably enough. When bad luck, a well prepared opponent, or an adversary that "wants it more" came along, talent was not enough to overcome.
Bama doesn't have a good record against similarly talented teams with a chip on their shoulder.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I saw all three quit on plays from the first game through to the last - and it looked like conditioning, effort, or both.
I was pretty shocked to see QW sucking wind so badly midway through the 2nd quarter when Clemson had only had possession of the ball for like seven minutes, total.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

Raekwon and Buggs both disappointed me this year. Q was outstanding but he needed some help. I would have liked to see Ray get more snaps because he will have to step up and be the man next season. I'm not convinced the other backups are ready yet but I'm a big fan of Coach Kool so if anyone can get these guys ready I believe it is him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.