Changes for next year
Page 1 of 18 1234567811 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-American WylieTexasTider's Avatar

Changes for next year

Obviously we had a great season and we have great players and Saban is the GOAT. Curious what changes/adjustments will you like to see/think we will see?

I have several I think we will see.

1. New ILB coach. I know Golding is a good recruiter, just wonder if Nick is sacrificing coaching/teaching for recruiting.

2. The play calling under Enos to use more of a power running game.

3. More aggressive D scheme. I get we did not have Miller tonight but, they hardly brought an extra guy. Seemed like Lawrence had 6-7 seconds all night. I almost feel Tosh was hired for the DC role in order to keep his recruiting prowess.

I have one Iíd really like to see, Davis, Williams and Thompson to all say they are coming back to win a title like Clemsonís group did last year.

Again, great team, great staff. Not being negative, just expect changes and we will be back next year. Just like Nick changed offensively a couple of years ago, I expect him to make the changes on D.
    "What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment."-Nick Saban

2. Advertisement

Re: Changes for next year

Quote Originally Posted by WylieTexasTider View Post
    2. The play calling under Enos to use more of a power running game.
    I think there was some scoffing when I started saying this last season, but from what I've seen the key to Alabama's success is a dominant running back, not a dominant quarterback. Tua joins the list now, but Alabama actually hasn't won most their championships with quarterbacks having great seasons. It tends to be quarterbacks having ok seasons and a team that leans on the running back (dominant seasons, like they had from Ingram, Richardson, Lacy, and Henry). It doesn't take a lot of imagination to see how that could have changed the outcome this game.

If Alabama isn't slinging the ball around, they might have less big plays, but they also probably don't have the two turnovers. Furthermore, if they did have a dominant power running game, it's harder to imagine Alabama being kept out of the end zone as often either... so there is something to not becoming overly reliant on great quarterback play, because there's so much finesse required there, while a powerful running back is more reliable.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    I think there was some scoffing when I started saying this last season, but from what I've seen the key to Alabama's success is a dominant running back, not a dominant quarterback. Tua joins the list now, but Alabama actually hasn't won most their championships with quarterbacks having great seasons. It tends to be quarterbacks having ok seasons and a team that leans on the running back (dominant seasons, like they had from Ingram, Richardson, Lacy, and Henry). It doesn't take a lot of imagination to see how that could have changed the outcome this game.

If Alabama isn't slinging the ball around, they might have less big plays, but they also probably don't have the two turnovers. Furthermore, if they did have a dominant power running game, it's harder to imagine Alabama being kept out of the end zone as often either... so there is something to not becoming overly reliant on great quarterback play, because there's so much finesse required there, while a powerful running back is more reliable.
    Agree 100%! I love Tua and we would not have been where we were tonight without him. However, I think our offense can be that much better if we have a little more balance. One thing I also think Tua needs is a little humility. To basically say Clemson did nothing to effect our offense was a little classless. They fooled Tua on the pick 6, plain and simple!

Agree 100%! I love Tua and we would not have been where we were tonight without him.
    The flip side of course if when you are down, having Tua is really, really nice. Alabama doesn't have the championship last year without what he did, so I'm not trying to bash him at all. I do hope that a dominant/physical running back can emerge though, Alabama has the talent but they need to cultivate that smash-mouth identity on offense some.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation All-American PA Tide Fan's Avatar

Agree 100%! I love Tua and we would not have been where we were tonight without him. However, I think our offense can be that much better if we have a little more balance. One thing I also think Tua needs is a little humility. To basically say Clemson did nothing to effect our offense was a little classless. They fooled Tua on the pick 6, plain and simple!
    I sort of feel differently. I think we needed to throw the ball around to try and score more points this season because we all knew that our defense was not quite up to usual Bama standards. Running the ball is fine when you have a dominant defense but our defense was good but not great. As far as Tua not giving Clemson credit I sort of understand. A person always wants to feel they control their own destiny and can always win if they play their best. One of my hobbies is chess and when I lose I always feel it was because of my own mistakes as opposed to great play from my opponents. Football is basically a game of chess played with 11 players per side instead of pieces so I can relate to him.

BamaNation First Team bvandegraff's Avatar

I hope Saban and Enos decide to unleash the beast that is Najee Harris next season. That said, the biggest need for improvement is on defense. Let's see if some these early-enrolling 5-stars can press the returning starters to up their game.

Saban's response to losing a recruiting "title" to UGA last year was to bring on young, aggressive recruiters. That worked. I'm extremely curious about what his response will be to tonight's events.
    Last edited by bvandegraff; January 8th, 2019 at 02:05 AM.

BamaNation All-American russtang's Avatar

No major changes IMO.

Play calling has to be better against good teams-when it counts.

Tua needs to be coached that it's ok to throw underneath or to backs for 10 yards at a time instead of homerun every play.

More power run game. Oline needs to work on that.

Staff continuity would help IMO.

I don't know what to say about defense. Assignments, alignments, calls etc.
    Less injuries would make a big difference.

Special teams that weren't a liability would be great.

BamaNation All-American russtang's Avatar

About injuries. With a healthy Diggs and Miller OR Lewis, we win.

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Has to begin with attitude. Our guys may have felt a little too entitled this year.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post

The reliance on the offense, and specifically the passing game,has been my fear all season that it would eventually come back to bite us. Primarily, I felt like weíve gotten to where we were by controlling the clock and limiting our defensive plays over Sabanís tenure. Couple that with superior defensive talent and weíve been unstoppable.

Maybe those days are gone and Iím slow to catch-on, but I felt like the running game was there all night. Granted, we arenít as talented on D as years past, but I felt like we played into Clemsonís hands by throwing the ball and forcing our D to be on the field most of the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Lastly, we just didnít have a playmaker on D this year that could really force a TO, ala Eddie Jackson or Minkah.

Quote Originally Posted by bvandegraff View Post

Saban's response to losing a recruiting "title" to UGA last year was to bring on young, aggressive recruiters. That worked. I'm extremely curious about what his response will be to tonight's events.
    With all the young talent here and coming in I really hope the response will be to bring on a couple of very good teachers and X/O guys. First thing he has to determine is can Tosh grow and become another Kirby or Pruitt? I really think Saban only promoted him so he didnít lose his recruiting abilities.
    "What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment."-Nick Saban

BamaNation All-American ReturnToGlory's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Power Eye View Post
    The reliance on the offense, and specifically the passing game,has been my fear all season that it would eventually come back to bite us. Primarily, I felt like we’ve gotten to where we were by controlling the clock and limiting our defensive plays over Saban’s tenure. Couple that with superior defensive talent and we’ve been unstoppable.

Maybe those days are gone and I’m slow to catch-on, but I felt like the running game was there all night. Granted, we aren’t as talented on D as years past, but I felt like we played into Clemson’s hands by throwing the ball and forcing our D to be on the field most of the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Lastly, we just didn’t have a playmaker on D this year that could really force a TO, ala Eddie Jackson or Minkah.
    Had problems with running game once we got down to red zone and then it was tough sledding. Probably needed to run the ball until the red area then throw once we got down there.

Quote Originally Posted by bvandegraff View Post
    I almost made a "You won't like Saban when he's angry" post.

If you look, the bigger the losses the more Alabama seems to bounce back. 2008 loss to Florida (and Oklahoma) brought us the decimation of Florida and win over Texas. 2010's uncharacteristic struggles gave way to a mutilation of Michigan State in the bowl game and a team that ended up dominating LSU in the 2011 championship game. Etc... I think 2013 was about the only year (since 2007) where Alabama had a heartbreaking, season ending loss and didn't follow it up with true greatness the following year.

I'm not sure what Saban will do, but I think seeing his team perform poorly in some areas and losing an important game does seem to free him up in some ways. This has his attention, he'll be attending to it, that's for sure.