Reflections About NC Game/Season

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Based on what? Before this game, people were talking about how we could be getting even more dominate than we ever have. This years class could be best we’ve ever signed and next years is looking great too.

One game didn’t change that.
True ... they are losing a LOT on their D line, which was the key reasons for their defense having success. it was the equivalent of us having Allen for his senior year ... but they had three Allens lol

They will be good next year no doubt, but they will have a very hard time winning back-to-back nc's next year with what they are losing.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
1) Clemson isn’t going away. I tried to tell folks for the last two years that Dabo was more than Deshaun Watson and very few wanted to acknowledge that. Clemson will be in the playoffs barring an epic upset. Clemson has by far the easiest path in the next 4 years of getting to the playoffs than any other team in the country.

2) Bama’s road is going to get harder in the next 4 years. aTm is rising in the West. The East is about to become like the 90’s again with Florida rising and UGA being a very talented stable program. We probably got the greatest gift in the worst with the early draftees from UGA last week.

Point is Alabama has a far easier road to the playoffs next year than it has had in the last 2 years and what it will probably have in the next 2-4 years.

Things can change in an instant but on paper this is what it looks like.

FWIW I said this before the game as well so no this isn’t based on one game.
My one question about Dabo was what would he do if/when he lost Venables but 1) I'm not sure I even have that concern anymore and 2) Not sure he is ever leaving anyway.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I wore the same Alabama shirt last night that I've worn every game this season. That shirt was 14 - 0 until last night! I started to rip it
off in the 3rd quarter, but it did come through in the Oklahoma and Jawga games, so I gave it another chance.

That shirt will be FIRED, retired and CREMATED as a result of last night.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Based on what? Before this game, people were talking about how we could be getting even more dominate than we ever have. This years class could be best we’ve ever signed and next years is looking great too.

One game didn’t change that.
Perspective is important to cut through the hyperbole.

Bama got whipped. (Said only to make the point I understand that)

But, take away 2 turnovers that lead to 14 points and score twice with 1st and goal and the score is tied at 30-30.

The way our team was physically whipped the end result may not have been much different, but the way one or two are behaving you'd think one of the moron talking heads was a headcrab that had taken them over. (ETA: NOT calling anyone here a moron - far from it, but emotion may be getting the better of them)

The difference in this game was smaller than the scoreboard reflected. That's not to take anything away from Clemson or to give any undue credit to our team or coaches. It's simply to say that the little things matter. A LOT. And in this case a lot of little things added up to a big loss.

But anyone who thinks that Alabama doesn't have the talent or the coaching to get back in it is lacking in judgment, emotional maturity, knowledge, truth, or some combination.

This is not the end of Alabama being in the hunt every year.

The game has not passed Saban by.

It was simply a case of getting physically beat, making bad decisions, poor preparation, bad injury luck, and probably a few other things that can be corrected with dedicated effort and with a little luck (injury-wise).

So you are right: Alabama football has a future and the future can be bright. It will be whatever the team and coaches make it. It's on them to make it happen, but it's within their reach. One game doesn't change that.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Perspective is important to cut through the hyperbole.

Bama got whipped. (Said only to make the point I understand that)

But, take away 2 turnovers that lead to 14 points and score twice with 1st and goal and the score is tied at 30-30.

The way our team was physically whipped the end result may not have been much different, but the way one or two are behaving you'd think one of the moron talking heads was a headcrab that had taken them over.

The difference in this game was smaller than the scoreboard reflected. That's not to take anything away from Clemson or to give any undue credit to our team or coaches. It's simply to say that the little things matter. A LOT. And in this case a lot of little things added up to a big loss.

But anyone who thinks that Alabama doesn't have the talent or the coaching to get back in it is lacking in judgment, emotional maturity, knowledge, truth, or some combination.

This is not the end of Alabama being in the hunt every year.

The game has not passed Saban by.

It was simply a case of getting physically beat, making bad decisions, poor preparation, bad injury luck, and probably a few other things that can be corrected with dedicated effort and with a little luck (injury-wise).

So you are right: Alabama football has a future and the future can be bright. It will be whatever the team and coaches make it. It's on them to make it happen, but it's within their reach. One game doesn't change that.
I'll be honest...if we've got to lose a NC game....I'd rather lose like we did last night than the way we did in 2016. Just my personal opinion, but I really never got stressed last night.

I felt really good about getting up 16-14, but after the second quarter explosion, I really just resigned myself to the fact they were just the better team last night.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'll be honest...if we've got to lose a NC game....I'd rather lose like we did last night than the way we did in 2016. Just my personal opinion, but I really never got stressed last night.

I felt really good about getting up 16-14, but after the second quarter explosion, I really just resigned myself to the fact they were just the better team last night.
i was feeling really confident that we were going to start rolling until tua threw that second interception, then i realized it was going to start going down hill. i didn't get too stressed or angry last night. they played really well and we didn't.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
i was feeling really confident that we were going to start rolling until tua threw that second interception, then i realized it was going to start going down hill. i didn't get too stressed or angry last night. they played really well and we didn't.
Especially when they returned that interception back out to the 50. When it happened I thought, that's ok, it's like a punt. Then he ran it back out to midfield.

Texas_tide

Scout Team
Oct 16, 2018
My reflections.

Bama had a great season and terrible NC game.

I felt we could get no momentum after the pick 6. Good first defensive series then we’re done on defense.

I have not like the play calling all year. We won on talent and not offensive coaching.

So many times this year we crush it on the ground and try to force throws for the big play. Often ending drives. Somehow we have gotten away from Waddle.

I really think Jalen would be s better fit for Clemson. He would have been a more run threat.

I could go on. But Dabo is the real deal.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
My reflections.

Bama had a great season and terrible NC game.

I felt we could get no momentum after the pick 6. Good first defensive series then we’re done on defense.

I have not like the play calling all year. We won on talent and not offensive coaching.

So many times this year we crush it on the ground and try to force throws for the big play. Often ending drives. Somehow we have gotten away from Waddle.

I really think Jalen would be s better fit for Clemson. He would have been a more run threat.

I could go on. But Dabo is the real deal.
The calls last night were not good and Tua's decision making may have been worse. Cecil Hurt touches on this and other issues in an article. It's relatively short and worth the read.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
The calls last night were not good and Tua's decision making may have been worse. Cecil Hurt touches on this and other issues in an article. It's relatively short and worth the read.
I think Tua put pressure on himself to make something happen to make up for his mistakes......... now that the pressure is gone, and he has time to look back on it, I think he will be even more determined to come back with a
vengeance......... a little humility goes a long way

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
1) Clemson isn’t going away. I tried to tell folks for the last two years that Dabo was more than Deshaun Watson and very few wanted to acknowledge that. Clemson will be in the playoffs barring an epic upset. Clemson has by far the easiest path in the next 4 years of getting to the playoffs than any other team in the country.
I mostly agree with what you're saying here, but let's not forget how perilously close Clemson was to being 10-2 against their relatively weak schedule this season. They had squeakers against Syracuse and A&M that could have very easily gone down as losses.

Every team that wins a championship needs some luck and for some breaks to go their way during the season. Clemson got that this year and they made the most of it.

They have obviously become a great team/program and will be in the hunt for the foreseeable future. That said, I think some folks are a little too eager to anoint them as an unstoppable juggernaut that blew out every team they played. Literally a couple different bounces of the ball and Clemson is watching the playoffs from home...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Speaking of perspective...I saw someone say this last night: Last year we won a NC we probably shouldn't have won and this year we lost one we probably should've won.

Whether that's true or not, it is a reminder of the old saying, "You can't win 'em all."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.