Why an expansion should never happen

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Last night Clemson made history as the first 15-0 team in College Football.(strikeout, I stand corrected) As I watched our team seemingly gasping for air at times, I could not help but wonder how long Clemson had been preparing for Alabama. This thread is not about that game, however as a result of the game. 15-0. 14-1. That is absurd. If no one else is going to come out and say it, I will. These are college kids, not paid-for-our-entertainment athletes. If you play for an NFL team that does not make the playoffs, you play 16 games. If we expand the playoff, this will add another game, and seeds #3-6 or #3-8, whatever expansion plan you prefer, plays 16 games. A regular NFL season. 85% of the players on that field will not earn an NFL roster spot. I reiterate, these are not paid athletes. These are student-athletes, students first. These kids have classes, homework, Testing, social lives, families, some players have kids. Not to mention workouts, and drills, meetings. How can we honestly sit here and demand more? I am not in favor of adding any more games, if they expand the playoff then I believe the SEC will have no choice but to pull their championship game. Which is something I would not like to see happen either. I wanna also say, our future is bright, we'll be back.

Comments?

Last edited:

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
"Lots of college football teams have gone undefeated, but the NCAA retroactively considers 1894 Yale and 1897 Penn the only FBS-level teams to have ever finished with 15-0 or 16-0 records before 2018."
"At Division I’s FCS level, only 1989 Georgia Southern, 1996 Marshall, and 2013 North Dakota State have ever won 15 games and lost none."

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Not all teams play 15 games. Also, there's at least 3 games on everybody's schedule that are effectively bye weeks. I'm against expanding the playoff but I don't think they will standardize scheduling for the 4 or 8 teams out of 130 who make the playoff each year. Those teams will just have to deal with the extra games..

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
My thoughts are you are absolutely correct. I've said so before. These are not paid players, and the grind is too much. It would be one thing if they didn't take a whole month off. But the month off and then 2 extremely difficult games back to back is killer.

I am completely against expansion. If they are so foolish as to go down that road, then they need to rework the schedule and remove the month off.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.