Looking ahead to next years final four

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
In the SEC, I think UGA takes a small step backwards and it will be a dog fight in the East between them and Florida. Auburn, LSU and A&M will be difficult outs in the West, but I feel confident we win the West and the SEC and make the playoffs again.
For the other two spots, Notre Dame, Ohio St., Texas, Oklahoma, and Oregon seem like the best options and my prediction is Ohio St. and Texas.
Unfortunately, I agree with you. I think UGA takes a step back. There's a lot of negative swirl going on and I'm not sure Kirby has a solid handle on things right now.

Florida is on the rise, but IMO their W/L record is inflated. They were getting their butts handed to them by Vandy and a couple of other teams, so three additional losses should have been on their record had their opponents not imploded. I think Mullen is a bit of a clown, but the media loves to drum up hype and controversy, so in August I suspect the Gators will get a lot of love to win the East.

Who can forget this stunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs1SM0BznQ&frags=pl,wn

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Clemson will be in no matter what. Their schedule is so easy, they have it made for the next 3-4 years at least (especially with Trevor L)

Ohio State-- will be interesting to see which QB starts

OU or Texas

Bama or UGA--of course I hope it's BAMA. I don't think the committee will consider 2 SEC teams. If BAMA does not make it to the top 4, "experts" will say the Dynasty is over, especially after what happened Monday with Clemson catching up. I think BAMA can get in the top 4 if injuries to key players don't happen, and if our defense improves (schemes, coaching, execution).

Playing at Texas AM and at Auburn will be a challenge. I hope Saban decides to give more players a chance to play in mop up duty during the season, especially on defense, so they will be more ready in the big games if needed due to injuries.

If BAMA can't win the Championship next year, I will be pulling for whomever Clemson is playing against. I like Dabo, but don't want him catching up to Saban's 6 Championships unless he does it as Saban's replacement at BAMA.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Curious, DB. A lot of talk before and after the SEC Championship was that this was a bridge year for UGA, and that the best team was still to come in 2019. Can you expand on the negative swirl you cite?

Unfortunately, I agree with you. I think UGA takes a step back. There's a lot of negative swirl going on and I'm not sure Kirby has a solid handle on things right now.

Florida is on the rise, but IMO their W/L record is inflated. They were getting their butts handed to them by Vandy and a couple of other teams, so three additional losses should have been on their record had their opponents not imploded. I think Mullen is a bit of a clown, but the media loves to drum up hype and controversy, so in August I suspect the Gators will get a lot of love to win the East.

Who can forget this stunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs1SM0BznQ&frags=pl,wn

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. TOSU
4. Oklahoma
I think the top 3 have undefeated seasons and Oklahoma gets in with one loss. They go on to get stomped by Clemson.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Curious, DB. A lot of talk before and after the SEC Championship was that this was a bridge year for UGA, and that the best team was still to come in 2019. Can you expand on the negative swirl you cite?
UGA is getting ready for a serious upgrade at LB and DL. They have two D1 starters in the SEC ready players. They will be an absolute handful for the next 3 years. Bama will need to solve the Clemson game woes before they go out to face UGA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bpilktree

1st Team
Jan 7, 2019
Clemson should be a lock with how awful the ACC is right now even though I think they will struggle little more then people are pretending. They looked amazing in the Championship game but that was the best game they played all year. If you watched them a few other times their defense in the secondary was not that good. South Carolina went up and down the field on them in that game and Bentley threw for over 500 yards. They loose 7 or 8 starters on defense that being said i think now they could stumble a game and still win the conference and get in where before one loss would have knocked them out it won't anymore from perception. Ohio state will come out of a down Big Ten with Michigan still not having enough athletes and Penn State QB change. The question is can the SEC get two in this year or will either Alabama or Georgia stub their toe in the regular season again. If they don't SEC gets two in and if they do I like Texas over Oklahoma because of the loss of Murray which I think covered up many of their issues they had and the loss of their line this year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I do not have Clemson in the CFP next year. They almost always find a way to drop a game that they shouldn't, and next year they have to play without five of their front 7 from this year. Their secondary is not as talented as they would like, so was going to be a liability no matter what. In other words, their defense will take a few big steps backward next year.

Someone will jump up and bite them, and their schedule is so bad that it could easily keep them out of the CFP. If they had not just beat Alabama, they wouldn't even enter next season in the top 5.

If they do get into the playoff, their defense will not be able to even slow Tua down.

IMO, Alabama has to worry about two teams next year - Georgia and OSU. Beat GA again and they are gone. They will fall apart. OSU may actually be better net year without Meyer as a distraction. Day and Schiano are incredible coaches.

My CFP 4 are:

Alabama
Ohio State
Texas (unless Jalen transfers to the Sooners)
Winner of GA/ND game

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Big, that's a big show of confidence in your school when at the moment you might need two tries to name the starting quarterback.

I do not have Clemson in the CFP next year. They almost always find a way to drop a game that they shouldn't, and next year they have to play without five of their front 7 from this year. Their secondary is not as talented as they would like, so was going to be a liability no matter what. In other words, their defense will take a few big steps backward next year.

Someone will jump up and bite them, and their schedule is so bad that it could easily keep them out of the CFP. If they had not just beat Alabama, they wouldn't even enter next season in the top 5.

If they do get into the playoff, their defense will not be able to even slow Tua down.

IMO, Alabama has to worry about two teams next year - Georgia and OSU. Beat GA again and they are gone. They will fall apart. OSU may actually be better net year without Meyer as a distraction. Day and Schiano are incredible coaches.

My CFP 4 are:

Alabama
Ohio State
Texas (unless Jalen transfers to the Sooners)
Winner of GA/ND game

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
The Big 12 will likely come down to OU & Texas playing each other twice. OU has some interesting issues; on the one hand, 10 starters returning on D with a whole new D staff coming in and 2 straight great D recruiting classes. On the other hand, we must replace 4 O-line starters and a HT winning QB. Hurts coming would be nice but it's not like our QB room will be devoid of talent and our skill positions are literally off the charts. I think Texas will be favored to win the Big 12 but they could be a 2 loss team at the end of the year and win the conference if they beat OU in the championship game. I say this because they play LSU out of conference. OU gets UH at home and UCLA on the road. Of course, either could stumble in conference. I could easily see the Big 12 not making the playoff.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
The Big 12 will likely come down to OU & Texas playing each other twice. OU has some interesting issues; on the one hand, 10 starters returning on D with a whole new D staff coming in and 2 straight great D recruiting classes. On the other hand, we must replace 4 O-line starters and a HT winning QB. Hurts coming would be nice but it's not like our QB room will be devoid of talent and our skill positions are literally off the charts. I think Texas will be favored to win the Big 12 but they could be a 2 loss team at the end of the year and win the conference if they beat OU in the championship game. I say this because they play LSU out of conference. OU gets UH at home and UCLA on the road. Of course, either could stumble in conference. I could easily see the Big 12 not making the playoff.
Herman has gotten some talent now and more than anything else they needed confidence in themselves. The win over UGA will be that spark IMO. I give them a slight nod but Riley will always give OU a shot especially when the defense gets their situation sorted. Too much talent for them to be that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
You and I have very different definitions of "great D recruiting classes."
:biggrin2:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.