Just for Fun: What If It Would Have Been Bama vs. ND and Clemson vs. Oklahoma??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Re: Just for Fun: What If It Would Have Been Bama vs. ND and Clemson vs. Oklahoma???

Does Alabama win this game in an alternate universe? Sure, but we live in this one.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation All-American bamabelle1991's Avatar

Re: Just for Fun: What If It Would Have Been Bama vs. ND and Clemson vs. Oklahoma???

I will say this, if we were destined to lose in the National Championship game, I'd rather it be to Clemson than Oklahoma or ND!! Onward and upward, Tide Fans!!

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Well the 28 point deficit is reality because we gave up two touchdowns off turnovers, failed to score two touchdowns in goal to go short yardage, and had two more turnovers on downs near or inside the red zone because our defense was getting torched so we had to chase points rather than kick a field goal (which does not even begin to be a gimme at any range with this kicking battery).
    You list all these things that could have been changed with a legitimate pass rush (and more depth), yet seem to think having a legitimate pass rush would make no difference.

Don't get me wrong, to reiterate Alabama got their butt kicks. But if you're going to play the game of what ifs, which clearly this thread is, having an edge rusher could have made a heck of a difference.

Just replay what you went over. If Alabama just stops one earlier touchdown drive with a pass rush, let's not even get into creating a turnover or influencing Trevor Lawrence's play in general, then it's 7 points closer right?

From there, you cite several instances in which Alabama could have scored in the very least field goals and they probably approach the situation differently in a closer game. So it goes from 7, to 10, to 13 and so on. Now we're talking a two score game and the approach Alabama has could radically change. Once again, not saying Alabama wins but I am saying all it would have taken for a much closer game was Miller just influencing the quarterback on one key play.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    Does Alabama win this game in an alternate universe? Sure, but we live in this one.
    I would like to know what might have happened if instead of throwing the pick 6, we drive on them for a score? We stoned them on the previous drive for a 3 and out too!

Then, after their pick 6, we drive on them for a quick score...but I wonder if we had not spotted them seven...if we don't take a pretty quick lead - at least 14-0. Outside of that one pass in the first quarter, Lawrence had not found his rhythm.

I'm still pretty much in shock as to how the second quarter turned on us they way it did. The eternal question will be, do they do that without us helping them keep it close in the first quarter with out multiple mistakes???

I know it doesn't change what happened, but it's interesting to consider "what if?"

BamaNation All-American

Christian Miller is a good player. I find it hard to believe he would have made much of a difference in this one though. Now, if we had Lewis, Miller, Allen and Diggs? Sure its a different game but thats a silly what if IMO.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Christian Miller is a good player. I find it hard to believe he would have made much of a difference in this one though. Now, if we had Lewis, Miller, Allen and Diggs? Sure its a different game but thats a silly what if IMO.
    Yup. I can name a 5-some of players who would've made a difference in this one but I don't think a lone player off the "IR" would've made the difference. The problems were too numerous and across all levels of the defense.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

It's hard to measure the inpact of the loss of Miller.

Just one sack...if he could have gotten to Lawrence...changes a QB's comfort level.

Biggest disappointment of the night for me...more than our offensive woes...and the area I thought we had an advantage: we couldn't affect Lawrence and we let him get comfortable.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Their O line keeping their QB clean was the key difference alon with at least one real bad non called PI which would have kept one of our drives going in the second half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American

Clemson got to play a creampuff opponent in a climate controlled dome. Had 4 weeks to prepare for us and the liberty to pull out an old game plan like a recycled sermon to beat ND. We had to play an offensive juggernaut that we likely spent 3 weeks preparing for in 80+ degree heat with 80+% humidity. Miller's likely doesn't happen playing in a dome.

Clemson got #1 seeds advantages in the CFP no question plus got to play Pitt or somebody in the ACCCG.

Let's see we played with a less than 100% or out Lewis, Allen, Brown, Diggs, Buggs, William's, Miller, and Tua. 6 starters on defense out or less than 100%. 2 starters in offense out or less than 100% with one critical to our red zone running game.

Too much deficiency when meeting a team that can almost you blow for not to mention all the other breakdowns in coaching and special teams.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American Mystical's Avatar

If we are doing what ifs. What if we had a time machine and took Coach Saban a copy of the game??? Am I right?? Huh Huh!! Where is Doctor Who when you need him. It may mess up the time space continuum but it would be totally worth it.
    WHERE EVER YOU GO, YOU TAKE YOURSELF WITH YOU

Super Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDCrimson View Post
    Clemson got to play a creampuff opponent in a climate controlled dome. Had 4 weeks to prepare for us and the liberty to pull out an old game plan like a recycled sermon to beat ND. We had to play an offensive juggernaut that we likely spent 3 weeks preparing for in 80+ degree heat with 80+% humidity. Miller's likely doesn't happen playing in a dome.

Clemson got #1 seeds advantages in the CFP no question plus got to play Pitt or somebody in the ACCCG.

Let's see we played with a less than 100% or out Lewis, Allen, Brown, Diggs, Buggs, William's, Miller, and Tua. 6 starters on defense out or less than 100%. 2 starters in offense out or less than 100% with one critical to our red zone running game.

Too much deficiency when meeting a team that can almost you blow for not to mention all the other breakdowns in coaching and special teams.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    You know, I think the CFP would be wise to assure more parity in venues. I doubt they will, but still.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation All-SEC aerospace_ray's Avatar

The correct match up occurred last night, just not the outcome I hoped for.
    IMO, IF Alabama played ND we win by a minimum of 2 td's even if we played bad. IMO, Clemson would have beaten OK worse than we did. I do not believe Kyler Murray could have scrambled/run on Clemson defense like he did a few times against us in that second half of playoff game. I honestly felt like Clemson beat us at our own style of play in the game last night. They executed and imposed their will against us. Respect for Clemson but we will be back and I hope we get Clemson one more time, same match up -- for the NC. RTR
    User formerly known as "13 4 BAMA soon"

"they didn't stumble in to it, they didn't back in to it, they just whipped Miami 34-13" (Keith Jackson circa 1992-3 National Championship, ABC Sports)

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I think Bama would still have lost with the difference coming from Bama being thin on defense and the steady Clemson coaching staff vs. Bama changeover.

I don't have the link but Earle posted one to a Clemson board that had a pretty good pre-game look from a Clemson fan. One item mentioned was that Bama fans would use the ND and OU game match-ups as an excuse if Bama lost...