Just for Fun: What If It Would Have Been Bama vs. ND and Clemson vs. Oklahoma???

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Possibly had their defense a little gassed. They wouldve had to play a team and not the media darling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Clemson vs. OU would have been fascinating.

Think Murray might could have hurt them with his legs when Tua couldn't as much (and really didn't try). Don't know if it would have been enough but I don't know if Clemson could have stayed with a 4 man rush with Murray. Just speculation...

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
It still would have been an Alabama- Clemson final. I think our game with Clemson would have been more competitive because we could have spent some extra time preparing for them. We might not have won anyway but the game would have been closer.

wumarshall82

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 13, 2016
Clemson would have crushed OU just as bad. OU has one of the worst defenses and their passing defense is dead last so I would expect our offense to drag OU up and down the field at will.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't see how Christian Miller makes a HUGE difference in this game as in closing a 28 point gap. They burned us when we blitzed on 3rd and long and burned us we only standard rushed on 3rd and long. We got killed on 3rd down to the tune of 10 for 14 and most of them were yardage situations where a quality unit gets them off the field.

It would be fair to point out how young our back seven was this year but we've had similar games where it seems like nothing we do on 3rd and long defense works with veteran DBs like Auburn last year. I've mused for several years now that it feels like the good offenses don't even bother working on anything other than 3rd and long passing offense against us. We've been outschemed in situations where we should be at the complete advantage to get a stop. Our blitzes get picked up. Our standard rush line play gets stoned. And crossers come wide open. Probably time for Saban to reevaluate his whole philosophy on 3rd and long defense. It has been a centerpiece of nearly any scare or loss we've had for the last 4-5 years.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I don't see how Christian Miller makes a HUGE difference in this game as in closing a 28 point gap.
Come on, that 28 point thing is pure hyperbole. Alabama wasn't trailing by that much for most of the game and they darn sure wouldn't have if they'd done a better job pressuring the quarterback. A closer game and Alabama probably kicks another field goal or two as well, so just no way on earth that 28 point difference holds if Alabama does a few things better.

This was not a 28 point blowout on anything but the box score. I'm not saying Miller helps Alabama win the game, but I am saying it would be closer, if nothing else just to have more depth but certainly a more effective pass rush as well.

Yes, they kicked Alabama's butts, but Alabama won time of possession and for much of the game Alabama had more yards as well. The fact that Alabama got 0 sacks means something to though, and Miller could have made a difference there. That doesn't mean Alabama wins, but it took a lot to go wrong for Clemson to win by 28 and 0 sacks was absolutely one of the major factors.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Well the 28 point deficit is reality because we gave up two touchdowns off turnovers, failed to score two touchdowns in goal to go short yardage, and had two more turnovers on downs near or inside the red zone because our defense was getting torched so we had to chase points rather than kick a field goal (which does not even begin to be a gimme at any range with this kicking battery).

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I will say this, if we were destined to lose in the National Championship game, I'd rather it be to Clemson than Oklahoma or ND!! Onward and upward, Tide Fans!!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Well the 28 point deficit is reality because we gave up two touchdowns off turnovers, failed to score two touchdowns in goal to go short yardage, and had two more turnovers on downs near or inside the red zone because our defense was getting torched so we had to chase points rather than kick a field goal (which does not even begin to be a gimme at any range with this kicking battery).
You list all these things that could have been changed with a legitimate pass rush (and more depth), yet seem to think having a legitimate pass rush would make no difference.

Don't get me wrong, to reiterate Alabama got their butt kicks. But if you're going to play the game of what ifs, which clearly this thread is, having an edge rusher could have made a heck of a difference.

Just replay what you went over. If Alabama just stops one earlier touchdown drive with a pass rush, let's not even get into creating a turnover or influencing Trevor Lawrence's play in general, then it's 7 points closer right?

From there, you cite several instances in which Alabama could have scored in the very least field goals and they probably approach the situation differently in a closer game. So it goes from 7, to 10, to 13 and so on. Now we're talking a two score game and the approach Alabama has could radically change. Once again, not saying Alabama wins but I am saying all it would have taken for a much closer game was Miller just influencing the quarterback on one key play.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Does Alabama win this game in an alternate universe? Sure, but we live in this one.
I would like to know what might have happened if instead of throwing the pick 6, we drive on them for a score? We stoned them on the previous drive for a 3 and out too!

Then, after their pick 6, we drive on them for a quick score...but I wonder if we had not spotted them seven...if we don't take a pretty quick lead - at least 14-0. Outside of that one pass in the first quarter, Lawrence had not found his rhythm.

I'm still pretty much in shock as to how the second quarter turned on us they way it did. The eternal question will be, do they do that without us helping them keep it close in the first quarter with out multiple mistakes???

I know it doesn't change what happened, but it's interesting to consider "what if?"

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Christian Miller is a good player. I find it hard to believe he would have made much of a difference in this one though. Now, if we had Lewis, Miller, Allen and Diggs? Sure its a different game but thats a silly what if IMO.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Christian Miller is a good player. I find it hard to believe he would have made much of a difference in this one though. Now, if we had Lewis, Miller, Allen and Diggs? Sure its a different game but thats a silly what if IMO.
Yup. I can name a 5-some of players who would've made a difference in this one but I don't think a lone player off the "IR" would've made the difference. The problems were too numerous and across all levels of the defense.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's hard to measure the inpact of the loss of Miller.

Just one sack...if he could have gotten to Lawrence...changes a QB's comfort level.

Biggest disappointment of the night for me...more than our offensive woes...and the area I thought we had an advantage: we couldn't affect Lawrence and we let him get comfortable.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.