News Article: Nick Saban needs to evaluate staff after bad play-calling dooms Tide in blowout loss - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 123
  1. #14
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    9,488

    Re: Nick Saban needs to evaluate staff after bad play-calling dooms Tide in blowout l

    My question is:
    Did anyone on defense have even a decent game?
    If Iím a pro scout, I wanna see what juniors thinking of turning pro do against equal talent.
    I know you canít base it off of one game, but I donít think any junior playing defense last night improved his draft stock at all.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

  2. #15
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    1,733

    Re: Nick Saban needs to evaluate staff after bad play-calling dooms Tide in blowout l

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    This was maddening:

    "throwing the ball three consecutive times on Clemson’s 26-yard line -- after the Tide already had three runs of nine-yards or more on that drive -- wasn’t much better."

    We'd run between the 20s at will and then start throwing or playing cute in the red zone. I firmly believe if we just run the ball every play in the second half we might have won. Definitely would not have lost by 28..
    I was wondering what Locksley was thinking when those plays were called........ we get something going and they stop doing it


    Also agree that the position of LB needs attention......

  3. #16
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    11,573

    Re: Nick Saban needs to evaluate staff after bad play-calling dooms Tide in blowout l

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    This was maddening:

    "throwing the ball three consecutive times on Clemson’s 26-yard line -- after the Tide already had three runs of nine-yards or more on that drive -- wasn’t much better."

    We'd run between the 20s at will and then start throwing or playing cute in the red zone. I firmly believe if we just run the ball every play in the second half we might have won. Definitely would not have lost by 28..
    They had the perfect plan: Don't let Tua get going and don't let us beat them over the top (they gave up one big play for our first TD like that) AND they decided they'd let his get chunk plays on the ground, but when we got into close to scoring, they were able to trick us into trying to run and they were able to stop it. Defense wins championships.

    Credit where credit is due.

  4. #17
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Al A Bama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,624

    Re: Nick Saban needs to evaluate staff after bad play-calling dooms Tide in blowout l

    Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    First, I didn't take the copycat stuff anyway at all. He was just plainly saying "they looked at the tape and took a bunch of the plays we struggled with over the season." He does the same thing, he means no ill by it. I think he was surprised that Clemson was doing it because they usually just run "their offense." He got caught with his pants down. He won't underrate Dabo's prep again I suppose.


    Second, we won't have to worry about getting this staff raided after a 28 point smackdown I reckon. Maybe we should lose more so we can have more staff continuity.
    Maybe we need to ADVERTISE to all university teams that the Clemson has some GREAT assistant coaches. Raid that staff and leave Dabo hunting for 10 NEW assistant coaches.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

  5. #18
    BamaNation First Team Bluegrasstide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pikeville KY
    Posts
    449

    Re: Nick Saban needs to evaluate staff after bad play-calling dooms Tide in blowout l

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    This was maddening:

    "throwing the ball three consecutive times on Clemsonís 26-yard line -- after the Tide already had three runs of nine-yards or more on that drive -- wasnít much better."

    We'd run between the 20s at will and then start throwing or playing cute in the red zone. I firmly believe if we just run the ball every play in the second half we might have won. Definitely would not have lost by 28..
    Absolutely... Whatever happened to staying on schedule and in front of the chains... What is wrong with 2nd & 6 or 7?

  6. #19
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    near Perry, Georgia, United States
    Posts
    1,215

    Re: Nick Saban needs to evaluate staff after bad play-calling dooms Tide in blowout l

    Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post
    Maybe we need to ADVERTISE to all university teams that the Clemson has some GREAT assistant coaches. Raid that staff and leave Dabo hunting for 10 NEW assistant coaches.
    There was about a four-hour commercial last night.

  7. #20
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,618

    Re: Nick Saban needs to evaluate staff after bad play-calling dooms Tide in blowout l

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
    There was about a four-hour commercial last night.
    I wish we had a hand-clap button too lol good stuff

  8. #21
    BamaNation All-SEC Ledsteplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,159

    Re: Nick Saban needs to evaluate staff after bad play-calling dooms Tide in blowout l

    It's not like Tua wasn't completing passes. He was. He completed 64.7%. 22 of 34. I can see why they called pass plays in the red zone. In hindsight, it's easy to second guess those calls. I'm not sure what to make of it.

  9. #22
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    21,288

    Re: Nick Saban needs to evaluate staff after bad play-calling dooms Tide in blowout l

    I will never watch the game again, but I put my thoughts on the reasons for the loss in Jess's post-game analysis thread. You lost because you got out coached. It was not poor execution of a good game plan - it was a poor game plan on Alabama's part combined with a perfect game plan by Dabo.

    Saban sits in every meeting. He knew the game plans on offense and defense. He knew what you were going to do. Somehow no one on your staff was able to predict what Clemson would do. Your game plans assumed that they would just keep doing what they had been doing all season. When that proved to be incorrect, it took you too long to adjust.

    Out prepared, out coached during the game. What will Saban do to ensure that this never happens again? I have no idea. Better analysts to self-scout? Better coordinators to turn analyst data into a game plan? Better coaches to implement the game plan? Better players at certain positions to perform on the field? A mixture of all of this?

    I expect that Alabama will be in the hunt next year. You will play with a chip on your shoulder. You will get a little meaner. Heck, you might even act a little hungry for the first time in a while. But if you can't correct these problems, you will struggle with Dabo. He knows what you are doing, how you are doing it and why you are doing it that way.

    Saban needs to adjust, and he will. I am interested to see how.

  10. #23
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,618

    Re: Nick Saban needs to evaluate staff after bad play-calling dooms Tide in blowout l

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I will never watch the game again, but I put my thoughts on the reasons for the loss in Jess's post-game analysis thread. You lost because you got out coached. It was not poor execution of a good game plan - it was a poor game plan on Alabama's part combined with a perfect game plan by Dabo.

    Saban sits in every meeting. He knew the game plans on offense and defense. He knew what you were going to do. Somehow no one on your staff was able to predict what Clemson would do. Your game plans assumed that they would just keep doing what they had been doing all season. When that proved to be incorrect, it took you too long to adjust.

    Out prepared, out coached during the game. What will Saban do to ensure that this never happens again? I have no idea. Better analysts to self-scout? Better coordinators to turn analyst data into a game plan? Better coaches to implement the game plan? Better players at certain positions to perform on the field? A mixture of all of this?

    I expect that Alabama will be in the hunt next year. You will play with a chip on your shoulder. You will get a little meaner. Heck, you might even act a little hungry for the first time in a while. But if you can't correct these problems, you will struggle with Dabo. He knows what you are doing, how you are doing it and why you are doing it that way.

    Saban needs to adjust, and he will. I am interested to see how.
    its unfortunately a different monster that he nor the team counted on ... Clemson developed a plan over the whole season to beat Alabama. Dabo realized who the main threat was and was in that boat sink or swim. They felt like they could plan for everyone else accordingly. its starting to look more and more we didnt have the staff and missing key players to make the necessary changes we normally have in the past. Like you said, it will be interesting to see how he adjusts.

  11. #24
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    128

    Re: Nick Saban needs to evaluate staff after bad play-calling dooms Tide in blowout l

    Reasons for loss:
    1) Tua gave up 2 ugly interceptions. Lawrence didn't.
    2) Defensive weaknesses and lack of depth were exposed.
    Far be it for me to criticize the GOAT (and I think Saban is the greatest college football coach of all time) but how is that a team with perennial top three recruiting class doesn't have someone who can pressure off the edge when the starter gets hurt? How did that whole "spy" thing work out against OU? No one fast enough to catch the little guy but we had a big enough lead to hold on. Big guys are great but Alabama needs to have more speed in the defensive depth chart.

  12. #25
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    21,288

    Re: Nick Saban needs to evaluate staff after bad play-calling dooms Tide in blowout l

    Quote Originally Posted by cubzwin View Post
    Reasons for loss:
    1) Tua gave up 2 ugly interceptions. Lawrence didn't.
    2) Defensive weaknesses and lack of depth were exposed.
    Far be it for me to criticize the GOAT (and I think Saban is the greatest college football coach of all time) but how is that a team with perennial top three recruiting class doesn't have someone who can pressure off the edge when the starter gets hurt? How did that whole "spy" thing work out against OU? No one fast enough to catch the little guy but we had a big enough lead to hold on. Big guys are great but Alabama needs to have more speed in the defensive depth chart.
    You realize that 3 of your 4 best OLBs were out in the Clemson game, right? You only had Jennings left. He had to adjust for the loss of 3 players at one position. No team could do that.

  13. #26
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    18,514

    Re: Nick Saban needs to evaluate staff after bad play-calling dooms Tide in blowout l

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    You realize that 3 of your 4 best OLBs were out in the Clemson game, right? You only had Jennings left. He had to adjust for the loss of 3 players at one position. No team could do that.
    The only argument would be to play more of the depth that is Not Ready according to the staff in the 8-10 games a season we win coming off the bus and see if anyone is a gamer that can be trusted in the games of consequences. We effectively wasted a year with Anoma due to his game participation for what amounted to garbage time. Saban need to loosen the hell up and start playing these guys who are 3 year players. Figure it out, find a role, find a way. Got too much talent to have folks only playing in garbage time and losing a year of eligibility in the process.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TideFansStore.com Bama Gear

2019 NFL Draft Gear