News Article: Nick Saban needs to evaluate staff after bad play-calling dooms Tide in blowout loss - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: Nick Saban needs to evaluate staff after bad play-calling dooms Tide in blowout l

Quote Originally Posted by WylieTexasTider View Post
    Iíd start with a hard look at Lupoi and Golding. Are they the right 2 to be DC and co-DC? Are they the right guys to coach the LB?

If we promote Enos to OC and he stays as QB coach, maybe we then do add another D position coach that allows the DC to scheme/plan and not have to coach a position group too. Only issue with this is if Enos goes in the Box as Locksley did and most OC prefer, who is on the sideline for Tua and Jalen?
    I think Enos has already been promoted, unless I am wrong

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Re: Nick Saban needs to evaluate staff after bad play-calling dooms Tide in blowout l

With the exception of Gattis, Coach Kool, and Enos I’d reevaluate everybody on that staff imo. Locks and Key are already gone and I’d probably nudge several others to seek other opportunities if I was Coach Saban. I was never impressed with any of the others(on-field staff) this year. We need guys that are hungry and willing to work the grueling schedule.
    Last edited by deliveryman35; January 8th, 2019 at 09:22 PM.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by editder View Post
    We did see him in the second half. Bad results.
    He got one possession down by alot. It was unfair. Clemson just bled the clock alot after that. I will say that I was against putting Hurts in the game in the 3rd quartet. I wanted to see how halftime adjustments changed things. Right now I think there would not have been much difference between the 2 Qbs; it was the coaches, not the players. However, I wish we had put Hurts in earlier just to see. Hindsight is 20/20.

BamaNation All-American russtang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gtgilbert View Post
    This is my biggest issue with the 'lack of depth' challenge we had. We lost Lewis and Allen before the season. We had Anoma, Latu and Parks, all very highly rated recruits, who should have been getting more reps throughout the year to prepare just in case, especially when we had games they could have played at least package specific roles in and we still win comfortably. I get the thought that they are 'not ready' to be every down edge guys in the SEC (although I thought parks looked the part) but let them have a package role like we did for Tim Williams as an underclassman, or even Rashaan Evans his first two years before moving him to ILB.
    Add Barmore to that list. I just don't understand the reasoning for these guys to get practically no playing time. Especially with the injury situation this year and the graduation/NFL situation next year.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by davefrat View Post
    on the radio they said that we have had 13 assistants leave and that the only assistants we have in main positions since the first Clemson game are Lupoi and Cochran.

over that same span, Clemson has lost 2.

there's no doubt that played a role, but there's no getting around that we were just taken to the woodshed last night...the coaches and the players.

they were better prepared, better motivated and made better adjustments.

i've never seen any of our teams under Saban ever look so overwhelmed as they did last night.

Clemson did to us what we normally do to our opponents...confuse us, beat us up, and make us quit.

it was just an all-around horrible performance on our side and an absolutely masterful performance by Clemson.

give them their do...they were far and away the best team in the country last night and it wasn't even close.

time to lick our wounds, regroup and see where we go from here.
    Well said.
    It's time to evaluate our coaches, our players, our tendencies,
    and our game plan. Brent Venables had an answer for everything we tried.
    The score could have been worse.
    Clemson played burn the clock during the 4th quarter.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

IMO, Saban should look to bring in someone like Chizik next year. Also, if Tosh is to remain as your DC, he needs to lock himself in a room with Pruitt for a month to learn how to create an effective pass rush on 3rd down, because he failed miserably. Honestly not sure how Tosh survives this. And don't get me started on Golding or Banks. They failed all season, and the weaknesses that they created were on display in this game. I can't fault your secondary coach as he had to start from scratch this year. I expect that group to continue to improve next year.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    IMO, Saban should look to bring in someone like Chizik next year. Also, if Tosh is to remain as your DC, he needs to lock himself in a room with Pruitt for a month to learn how to create an effective pass rush on 3rd down, because he failed miserably. Honestly not sure how Tosh survives this. And don't get me started on Golding or Banks. They failed all season, and the weaknesses that they created were on display in this game. I can't fault your secondary coach as he had to start from scratch this year. I expect that group to continue to improve next year.
    For all the grief Chizik gets, he was a pretty good DC. And to be fair to Tosh, this was his first outing as a DC. Not sure how long he would have needed to hang behind someone like Pruitt to learn the ropes.

I agree about the other two.......

BamaNation Hall of Fame 230kv_barehand's Avatar

We all kinda knew that this was coming with the staff, I mean we basically trashed what we had and started over before the season and for us to just "be there" made me happy because of what we done. We can definitely go up from here! Hopefully we learned from our mistakes and calls.
    I need you out there slinging coconuts and pineapples!

BamaNation Third Team

Why would an elite program hire a first time coordinator? IMO Tosh was promoted to retain him because of his recruiting ability which is off the chart. Having talent is super important but having battle tested coordinators to develop a strong game plan and then adjust as the game progresses is just as important. Clemson's coordinators embarrassed our guys...

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Banks- Get a pass. He is on thin ice right now.
    Golding/Tosh- This was a weird combination from the start. I expect something to happen in that area... Do we hire 10th coach on the defense side to help with that? Hear me out on that. What we did on offense where we had QB coach only and that helped so much. SO I wonder if we needed to do the same on defense? Two ways I can see this: Tosh or Golding give up playcalling and focus on their unit, and 10th coach assume the co-dc role . 10th coach to take over Tosh's LB coaching, and Tosh focus on calling plays .
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation All-American WylieTexasTider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    Golding/Tosh- This was a weird combination from the start. I expect something to happen in that area... Do we hire 10th coach on the defense side to help with that? Hear me out on that. What we did on offense where we had QB coach only and that helped so much. SO I wonder if we needed to do the same on defense? Two ways I can see this: Tosh or Golding give up playcalling and focus on their unit, and 10th coach assume the co-dc role . 10th coach to take over Tosh's LB coaching, and Tosh focus on calling plays .
    I agree Banks gets a pass. He is a very good ST coach. Look at what he did at aTm, his punters and place kickers were very solid. I believe the issue this year was he didnít have much talent at place kicker and his punter was a head case. Iíve talked to aTmís former punter and he said Banks is the best coach he ever had.
    "What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment."-Nick Saban

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    That could work...... of course the dawgs are taking rumors of Tosh going to UGA

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Keeter View Post
    That could work...... of course the dawgs are taking rumors of Tosh going to UGA
    That's a rumor they started...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*