News Article: Nick Saban needs to evaluate staff after bad play-calling dooms Tide in blowout loss - Page 5
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Re: Nick Saban needs to evaluate staff after bad play-calling dooms Tide in blowout l

Quote Originally Posted by WylieTexasTider View Post
    I agree Banks gets a pass. He is a very good ST coach. Look at what he did at aTm, his punters and place kickers were very solid. I believe the issue this year was he didn’t have much talent at place kicker and his punter was a head case. I’ve talked to aTm’s former punter and he said Banks is the best coach he ever had.
    People also tend to forget he's not called a "kicker coach", but rather a "special teams" coach - and by and large the ST play this year (if you ignore the kicking) was quite good.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Re: Nick Saban needs to evaluate staff after bad play-calling dooms Tide in blowout l

It's amazing how after a season of "wow, how incredible," it only takes 3 quarters to start reading, "this a team with many problems that were obvious."

Another entry in, "Newspaper guys making $13 an hour trying to get raises to $18 an hour."
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    That's a rumor they started...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I figured it was.........controversy sells newspapers and internet clicks

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    People also tend to forget he's not called a "kicker coach", but rather a "special teams" coach - and by and large the ST play this year (if you ignore the kicking) was quite good.
    I'm thinking we need to hire a "kicker coach".

BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

That's a rumor they started...
    OK, putting this in blue (for many reasons), and since some mobile users don't see blue..............don't panic!

Maybe UGA wasn't pleased with their defensive play, on 3rd down, and after Monday's exhibition, they really want "3rd and Kirby" to be 3rd and Kirby.

Of course, the origin of this rumor might be some guy down in Gainesville. Wishful thinking, on his part.
    "I hate morning people.
    And mornings.

And people!"

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideEngineer08's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    It's amazing how after a season of "wow, how incredible," it only takes 3 quarters to start reading, "this a team with many problems that were obvious."

Another entry in, "Newspaper guys making $13 an hour trying to get raises to $18 an hour."
    That's how much better than our schedule we were.

Yes, the problems were there all year long. It didn't matter until Georgia. Georgia had the tools to make us pay and did, until we fought back. Then Kirby cried and wet the bed. Clemson took our punches and turned them back on us. I still think if we hadn't have made so many unforced errors, we could have competed with Clemson and it would have ended like the first two title games. But then again, we've been making unforced errors all year long.

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    Clemson took our punches and turned them back on us.
    Clemson did exactly what Bama has done for years - executed, limited mistakes, and capitalized when the opposing team made mistakes. They were the boa constrictor that Bama usually is. It was an impressive display of domination.
    Last edited by crimsonaudio; January 9th, 2019 at 10:51 AM.

BamaNation All-American PA Tide Fan's Avatar

I don't know if we can blame this loss all on the new OC and DC. If we go back and look at all 4 games we played against Clemson we could very easily be 1-3 against these guys. In the very first matchup it took an onside kick and a 95 yd kickoff return to beat them. A year ago we won easily because they had a QB that was not a big passing threat. Dabo has corrected his QB passing problem so going forward we can expect Clemson to have a decent passer. If that's the case then we can't keep counting on trick plays and long kickoff returns to beat them. I don't know what the problem is exactly but I think it's more than high turnover in the coaching staff.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Tide Fan View Post
    I don't know if we can blame this loss all on the new OC and DC. If we go back and look at all 4 games we played against Clemson we could very easily be 1-3 against these guys. In the very first matchup it took an onside kick and a 95 yd kickoff return to beat them. A year ago we won easily because they had a QB that was not a big passing threat. Dabo has corrected his QB passing problem so going forward we can expect Clemson to have a decent passer. If that's the case then we can't keep counting on trick plays and long kickoff returns to beat them. I don't know what the problem is exactly but I think it's more than high turnover in the coaching staff.
    And Bama could easily be 3-1 if not for an uncalled illegal pick play.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by PA Tide Fan View Post
    It's been said before but it takes a great qb performance to beat a Saban coached team. It just happens to be that Clemson had a generational player in Watson and it sure looks like they have another in Lawrence. As long as they have that type of qb play they will be a problem. And I agree, we won't beat them with trickery, we'll have to outman them.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Clemson did exactly what Bama has done for years - executed, limited mistakes, and capitalized when the opposing team made mistakes. They were the boa constrictor that Bama usually is. It was an impressive display of domination.
    that game sort of reminded me of what we did to uga on our 2008 and 2015 trips to athens.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator runtheoption22's Avatar

If you listen to his postgame interview after the game last night, It sounded like he was confused to what was going on with the offense.. and he felt like we got away from what was working for us in the game.

Also, he mentioned copycat stuff Clemson took from other's team and used it against them. (MSU, Georgia).... and they didn't practice against that. Sounds like lack of preparations all around.

Which is why I think we should pay Enos $1.5 -$2 mil a year to be OC and entice him to not leave for a while.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post

selma it saddens me to say i disagree. Saban saw the leaking oil on the convertible long before the championship. It is appropriate to evaluate the staff.