News Article: Nick Saban needs to evaluate staff after bad play-calling dooms Tide in blowout loss - Page 8
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Nick Saban needs to evaluate staff after bad play-calling dooms Tide in blowout l

Quote Originally Posted by USCBAMA View Post
    I think what the past 4 years have shown is that it is a lot easier to motivate a group of young men from a point of failure than from a point of success. After losing 1st game to Bama, Clemson became obsessed to come back & beat them. Bama was playing to just do what they did the year before - not the same thing. The following year the rolls were reversed and Bama pounded Clemson. Even though the score did not reflect it, that game was no closer than this year's game in terms of Clemson ever being in it. If Bama doesn't fumble and give them a free FG to start 2nd half and if Hurts doesn't miss an easy TD, Bama wins 31-3. Bama players were hell bent on avenging the previous year's loss. This year, Clemson had that approach all season. They had NFL players turn down big $$ to come back and beat Bama. The really did just want it more this year IMO.

Next year Clemson loses its entire starting defensive line plus its top DL sub, its best LB, its best 2 offensive linemen, its starting TE, its FG kicker, and Hunter Renfrow. They have some great offensive talent and an equally easy schedule so they have a good shot at being back in cfp, but it will not be the same team as this year and it will likely not have the same fire in its belly.
    So what you're saying is until Nick Saban or Dabo Swinney retires, we are just going to alternate titles each year? I can live with that.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: Nick Saban needs to evaluate staff after bad play-calling dooms Tide in blowout l

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    So what you're saying is until Nick Saban or Dabo Swinney retires, we are just going to alternate titles each year? I can live with that.
    Could be - Vegas odds already have them back in the title game next year.

And to update clemson starters they lose, two Juniors (CB and LB) just declared, so they lose 7 defensive starters and their top DL sub off of this defense.
    Last edited by USCBAMA; January 9th, 2019 at 05:42 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    That is why I stay out of game threads and game prediction threads. It shouldn't be that way, any long standing member who posts respectfully that he or she believes Alabama will not win should be able to post that without knowing he/she will be mocked or called an Eyesore. I respect every poster's opinion whether I like it or not. BTW I thought Alabama was going to lose to Clemson, but not get curb stomped.

I don't recall anyone being called an eeyore for predicting a loss.. ever. eeyore is a term 92tide came up for the negative nancies. The term is describing an over the top downer not someone who gives a critical opinion.

critical opinion:
    Yes, Clemson spanked us last night -- clear and simple they were way better. We knew their D was awesome but I did not realize how good Ross was. The whole Clemson team was "ON" last night and I congratulate them for the win. Doesn't mean I like it, but they were far better than the Tide on the night.
    eeyore opinion

I didn’t feel bad at all after 2016. I wasn’t happy, but a great team and a great player beat us. That happens. It wasn’t dirty, they just made plays.

This one has bothered me more than any game I can remember. At least after the kick 6 you figured it was a fluke.

I’m legit worried to face Clemson again. This wasn’t of those “We’ll get ‘em next time” games. This was a paradigm shifting game.
    You see the difference? They are saying the same point, but one is going way overboard with his critical opinion.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation All-American PA Tide Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by USCBAMA View Post
    I think what the past 4 years have shown is that it is a lot easier to motivate a group of young men from a point of failure than from a point of success. After losing 1st game to Bama, Clemson became obsessed to come back & beat them. Bama was playing to just do what they did the year before - not the same thing. The following year the rolls were reversed and Bama pounded Clemson. Even though the score did not reflect it, that game was no closer than this year's game in terms of Clemson ever being in it. If Bama doesn't fumble and give them a free FG to start 2nd half and if Hurts doesn't miss an easy TD, Bama wins 31-3. Bama players were hell bent on avenging the previous year's loss. This year, Clemson had that approach all season. They had NFL players turn down big $$ to come back and beat Bama. The really did just want it more this year IMO.

Next year Clemson loses its entire starting defensive line plus its top DL sub, its best LB, its best 2 offensive linemen, its starting TE, its FG kicker, and Hunter Renfrow. They have some great offensive talent and an equally easy schedule so they have a good shot at being back in cfp, but it will not be the same team as this year and it will likely not have the same fire in its belly.
    It's worked out that way with Bama-Clemson but let's look at the rivalry of Ohio State-Michigan where OSU has won 14 out of 15. Michigan has a rich football history and they are not some second-tier school with second-tier talent. They have plenty reason for revenge but still can't win. I'm not saying the revenge factor is not a motivation but it shows that if you can beat a team a few times in a row you get them believing they'll never win. What really hurt us against Clemson was their first win against us two years ago because that got them believing. Had we won that game and came into this championship 3-0 against them they may have just rolled over by thinking they'll never beat us.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by PA Tide Fan View Post
    It's worked out that way with Bama-Clemson but let's look at the rivalry of Ohio State-Michigan where OSU has won 14 out of 15. Michigan has a rich football history and they are not some second-tier school with second-tier talent. They have plenty reason for revenge but still can't win. I'm not saying the revenge factor is not a motivation but it shows that if you can beat a team a few times in a row you get them believing they'll never win. What really hurt us against Clemson was their first win against us two years ago because that got them believing. Had we won that game and came into this championship 3-0 against them they may have just rolled over by thinking they'll never beat us.
    A rivalry game during season is not the same as a championship. Obsessing over a single regular season game can even be counter-productive. A championship is a unified team goal. Kids don't typically turn down nfl $$ and come back for sr season and dedicate themselves to going the extra mile just to beat a rival, they do that to win championships.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

You should be able to call them like you see them. If you say Bama will lose, you could be labeled an “eeyore” but only if they win.
    If you think they will lose and you post sound reasons for your belief, people can disagree with your post but if they criticize it and you’re right, you should be given credit for getting it right, at least from your critics.
    I didn’t think Saban would get out coached, so I didn’t think Bama would lose. He did and they did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. Dwight D. Eisenhower

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    I doubt I'll ever rewatch this game so my memory will probably always be a little fuzzy when it comes to specifics but there seemed to be about as many "What in the world?" calls in this game as the rest of Saban's career here combined.
    i deleted my recording before the game was over!

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Love ya Gray!

I reserve the right to call you an eeyore anytime

Like any family - it's all in good fun. Trust me I've gotten my share of grief from the NS "Trolls" -- it should be part of the fun. If it gets to be too much -- I avoid it until I'm over it.....

If it strikes a nerve -- we should stop.....but know that (at least to me) your place is etched on Tidefans.com -- as our resident "Oscar the Grouch" -- and that's okay!

Sesame Street is a fun place to live, right?
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

Quote Originally Posted by PA Tide Fan View Post
    you could also use our last five games vs uga as an example.

just saying, in case you need another example
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post
    I think Clemson spent the majority of the 4 off weeks getting ready for us. They knew they would smoke ND and we stressed OU. My opinion.
    If so, I wish the hell Saban had stressed Clemson instead!

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

How many more will follow? Gattis leaves Bama for same position at Michigan.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...gan-wolverines
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; January 10th, 2019 at 05:09 PM.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    How many more will follow? Gattis leaves Bama to for same position at Michigan.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...gan-wolverines
    Estimate: 3 or 4.....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

Are we seeing the house cleaning associated with staff evaluation? Did we get cutesy on the goal line on Monday , which Nick wasn’t happy about , and Now he is encouraging changes? When will the defensive changes occur!
    Last edited by bamaga; January 10th, 2019 at 05:37 PM.
    to 16 and beyond........