News Article: Nick Saban needs to evaluate staff after bad play-calling dooms Tide in blowout loss

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
With the exception of Gattis, Coach Kool, and Enos I’d reevaluate everybody on that staff imo. Locks and Key are already gone and I’d probably nudge several others to seek other opportunities if I was Coach Saban. I was never impressed with any of the others(on-field staff) this year. We need guys that are hungry and willing to work the grueling schedule.

Last edited:

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
We did see him in the second half. Bad results.
He got one possession down by alot. It was unfair. Clemson just bled the clock alot after that. I will say that I was against putting Hurts in the game in the 3rd quartet. I wanted to see how halftime adjustments changed things. Right now I think there would not have been much difference between the 2 Qbs; it was the coaches, not the players. However, I wish we had put Hurts in earlier just to see. Hindsight is 20/20.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
This is my biggest issue with the 'lack of depth' challenge we had. We lost Lewis and Allen before the season. We had Anoma, Latu and Parks, all very highly rated recruits, who should have been getting more reps throughout the year to prepare just in case, especially when we had games they could have played at least package specific roles in and we still win comfortably. I get the thought that they are 'not ready' to be every down edge guys in the SEC (although I thought parks looked the part) but let them have a package role like we did for Tim Williams as an underclassman, or even Rashaan Evans his first two years before moving him to ILB.
Add Barmore to that list. I just don't understand the reasoning for these guys to get practically no playing time. Especially with the injury situation this year and the graduation/NFL situation next year.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
on the radio they said that we have had 13 assistants leave and that the only assistants we have in main positions since the first Clemson game are Lupoi and Cochran.

over that same span, Clemson has lost 2.

there's no doubt that played a role, but there's no getting around that we were just taken to the woodshed last night...the coaches and the players.

they were better prepared, better motivated and made better adjustments.

i've never seen any of our teams under Saban ever look so overwhelmed as they did last night.

Clemson did to us what we normally do to our opponents...confuse us, beat us up, and make us quit.

it was just an all-around horrible performance on our side and an absolutely masterful performance by Clemson.

give them their do...they were far and away the best team in the country last night and it wasn't even close.

time to lick our wounds, regroup and see where we go from here.
Well said.
It's time to evaluate our coaches, our players, our tendencies,
and our game plan. Brent Venables had an answer for everything we tried.
The score could have been worse.
Clemson played burn the clock during the 4th quarter.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IMO, Saban should look to bring in someone like Chizik next year. Also, if Tosh is to remain as your DC, he needs to lock himself in a room with Pruitt for a month to learn how to create an effective pass rush on 3rd down, because he failed miserably. Honestly not sure how Tosh survives this. And don't get me started on Golding or Banks. They failed all season, and the weaknesses that they created were on display in this game. I can't fault your secondary coach as he had to start from scratch this year. I expect that group to continue to improve next year.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
IMO, Saban should look to bring in someone like Chizik next year. Also, if Tosh is to remain as your DC, he needs to lock himself in a room with Pruitt for a month to learn how to create an effective pass rush on 3rd down, because he failed miserably. Honestly not sure how Tosh survives this. And don't get me started on Golding or Banks. They failed all season, and the weaknesses that they created were on display in this game. I can't fault your secondary coach as he had to start from scratch this year. I expect that group to continue to improve next year.
For all the grief Chizik gets, he was a pretty good DC. And to be fair to Tosh, this was his first outing as a DC. Not sure how long he would have needed to hang behind someone like Pruitt to learn the ropes.

I agree about the other two.......

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
We all kinda knew that this was coming with the staff, I mean we basically trashed what we had and started over before the season and for us to just "be there" made me happy because of what we done. We can definitely go up from here! Hopefully we learned from our mistakes and calls.

bamafan1966

Scout Team
Sep 4, 2017
Why would an elite program hire a first time coordinator? IMO Tosh was promoted to retain him because of his recruiting ability which is off the chart. Having talent is super important but having battle tested coordinators to develop a strong game plan and then adjust as the game progresses is just as important. Clemson's coordinators embarrassed our guys...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Banks- Get a pass. He is on thin ice right now.
Golding/Tosh- This was a weird combination from the start. I expect something to happen in that area... Do we hire 10th coach on the defense side to help with that? Hear me out on that. What we did on offense where we had QB coach only and that helped so much. SO I wonder if we needed to do the same on defense? Two ways I can see this: Tosh or Golding give up playcalling and focus on their unit, and 10th coach assume the co-dc role . 10th coach to take over Tosh's LB coaching, and Tosh focus on calling plays .

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Golding/Tosh- This was a weird combination from the start. I expect something to happen in that area... Do we hire 10th coach on the defense side to help with that? Hear me out on that. What we did on offense where we had QB coach only and that helped so much. SO I wonder if we needed to do the same on defense? Two ways I can see this: Tosh or Golding give up playcalling and focus on their unit, and 10th coach assume the co-dc role . 10th coach to take over Tosh's LB coaching, and Tosh focus on calling plays .
I agree Banks gets a pass. He is a very good ST coach. Look at what he did at aTm, his punters and place kickers were very solid. I believe the issue this year was he didn’t have much talent at place kicker and his punter was a head case. I’ve talked to aTm’s former punter and he said Banks is the best coach he ever had.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
That could work...... of course the dawgs are taking rumors of Tosh going to UGA

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I agree Banks gets a pass. He is a very good ST coach. Look at what he did at aTm, his punters and place kickers were very solid. I believe the issue this year was he didn’t have much talent at place kicker and his punter was a head case. I’ve talked to aTm’s former punter and he said Banks is the best coach he ever had.
People also tend to forget he's not called a "kicker coach", but rather a "special teams" coach - and by and large the ST play this year (if you ignore the kicking) was quite good.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It's amazing how after a season of "wow, how incredible," it only takes 3 quarters to start reading, "this a team with many problems that were obvious."

Another entry in, "Newspaper guys making $13 an hour trying to get raises to $18 an hour."

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
That's a rumor they started...
OK, putting this in blue (for many reasons), and since some mobile users don't see blue..............don't panic!

Maybe UGA wasn't pleased with their defensive play, on 3rd down, and after Monday's exhibition, they really want "3rd and Kirby" to be 3rd and Kirby.

Of course, the origin of this rumor might be some guy down in Gainesville. Wishful thinking, on his part.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It's amazing how after a season of "wow, how incredible," it only takes 3 quarters to start reading, "this a team with many problems that were obvious."

Another entry in, "Newspaper guys making $13 an hour trying to get raises to $18 an hour."
That's how much better than our schedule we were.

Yes, the problems were there all year long. It didn't matter until Georgia. Georgia had the tools to make us pay and did, until we fought back. Then Kirby cried and wet the bed. Clemson took our punches and turned them back on us. I still think if we hadn't have made so many unforced errors, we could have competed with Clemson and it would have ended like the first two title games. But then again, we've been making unforced errors all year long.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Clemson took our punches and turned them back on us.
Clemson did exactly what Bama has done for years - executed, limited mistakes, and capitalized when the opposing team made mistakes. They were the boa constrictor that Bama usually is. It was an impressive display of domination.

Last edited:

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I don't know if we can blame this loss all on the new OC and DC. If we go back and look at all 4 games we played against Clemson we could very easily be 1-3 against these guys. In the very first matchup it took an onside kick and a 95 yd kickoff return to beat them. A year ago we won easily because they had a QB that was not a big passing threat. Dabo has corrected his QB passing problem so going forward we can expect Clemson to have a decent passer. If that's the case then we can't keep counting on trick plays and long kickoff returns to beat them. I don't know what the problem is exactly but I think it's more than high turnover in the coaching staff.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.