How has Clemson kept hold of their staff? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC

Re: How has Clemson kept hold of their staff?

How long did Kirby stay with BAMA? Now that people start realizing that Clemson is more than a flash in the pan team, I suspect they will start losing some of their coaching staff. BAMA will not stay on top forever. Neither will Clemson or the next team or the team after that.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by BAMARICH View Post
    Prior to the start of the CFP, I heard an interview with someone in the CU camp and this exact question was asked. Two answers were given. First, they pay their assistants. Some years ago, CU offered to raise Dabo. Instead of accepting it, he insisted the amount be split among his staff. They’re paid such that no one will leave unless it’s a top tier job.

Second, Dabo promotes family. Things in the FB revolve around family activities - not the other way around. The week the interview took place, the guy said they’d rescheduled a morning meeting to an hour earlier so one of the coaches could watch his little girl in a school program. That week, Dabo himself attended his son’s b-ball game at school. During the season, several assistants have sons who play HS football. On away games, those assistants stay behind while the team travels ahead, they attend their son’s games, and then they’re flown to the game site either later that night or early on Saturday.

The guy being interviewed said that in the coaching profession, those two things were unheard of.
    This. From what I`ve read, they just flat like it there. Say what you will about Dabo, he`s apparently created an environment and a culture within which these guys and their families want to live and work. It appears he`s been able to make it where it would have to be one more hellaciously great job for them to leave. I think we saw at least some of the benefits of that approach last night.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by BAMARICH View Post
    Prior to the start of the CFP, I heard an interview with someone in the CU camp and this exact question was asked. Two answers were given. First, they pay their assistants. Some years ago, CU offered to raise Dabo. Instead of accepting it, he insisted the amount be split among his staff. They’re paid such that no one will leave unless it’s a top tier job.

Second, Dabo promotes family. Things in the FB revolve around family activities - not the other way around. The week the interview took place, the guy said they’d rescheduled a morning meeting to an hour earlier so one of the coaches could watch his little girl in a school program. That week, Dabo himself attended his son’s b-ball game at school. During the season, several assistants have sons who play HS football. On away games, those assistants stay behind while the team travels ahead, they attend their son’s games, and then they’re flown to the game site either later that night or early on Saturday.

The guy being interviewed said that in the coaching profession, those two things were unheard of.
    There has been a similar atmosphere created where I work. I've been here now for 14 years. I have turned down offers over the years, as well as rejected the urge to try and find something more lucrative, because of the atmosphere. And it has paid off in the long run.

I think there is great value in doing this at your company. And Dabo has certainly proven you can run your operation this way and still win big.

Super Moderator

Also heard another interview by Ryan Fowler the other day where Dabo will host a dinner at his house for all the new staff members... and he’ll invite all the media folks over so they can meet and visit with the new guys in a relaxed atmosphere.

For everything we hear from AU about “family”, it seems Dabo does it at Clemson.

BamaNation All-SEC

The general thinking from talking heads here in Columbia is that Venables is being ultra-picky with HC jobs. He's completely happy at Clemson and is already paid such that many smaller D1 schools cannot match his current salary, so he can afford to only consider upper tier jobs. He played and coached at Kansas State and many felt he was waiting on that job, but KSU bungled that and now has hired the North Dakota State coach, which may or may not be a good hire (successful FCS HC versus successful FBS coordinator).

Basically he went out and found top-notch coordinators who do not have ultra-strong ambitions to be head coach. The exception was Chad Morris, who did leave for a HC job.

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I don't think he did anything that impressive last night to be frank. He goofed Tua twice and his DL talent took over the LOS in the 2nd half. I don't want to give a guy a pat on the back for giving up 450 yards because he caught the college QB with a trap coverage twice. He called an adequate defensive game for a DC getting fantastic support from his own offense.
    we were still moving the ball very well in the three drives in the third quarter, until we got to the red zone and got cute/lost focus.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-American CaliforniaTide's Avatar

There's a lot to be said for how winning cures all ills. If Clemson had lost last night, how many CU fans would be questioning the protocols and environment Dabo has created for his staff? This isn't to say what Dabo has set up doesn't work - it obviously does work. But since Alabama lost last night, I've found myself questioning in knee-jerk fashion if the problem to the coaching turnover is tied to the overall environment that CNS has created. Or, since everything is always business-like at Alabama, is that a function of the school and its expectations? Would they stand for Dabo's setup if he were to come coach at Alabama? If he kept winning games and championships, I'm not sure Alabama would have a problem with his setup.
    It's the edge of the world
    And all of Western civilization
    The sun may rise in the East
    At least it settles in its final location
    It's understood that Hollywood
    Sells Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers in Californication

Look at that dude go all Dareus on that colt...

BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar

Honestly, I think most people thought Clemson was an also ran team,. Nobody wanted to poach a coach from a team that “just got lucky” and had a once in a lifetime player in Watson. After last night things have changed and they might start getting offers. Who knows? Maybe some are just happy not being “the man”. Maybe some have seen the failures of others and just don’t want the risk. I do think there are some ambitious coaches that are just using Saban and Alabama as a stepping stone to something better. Maybe Saban needs to re-evaluate his hiring process.
    Architects do it with models.

Roll Tide Roll

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Yup. DL made plays down there close though. That's really it. He called an adequate game. He's a great coordinator but this was just an adequate effort from him. If their offense was getting stopped, his defense would've been in deep doodoo.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

BamaNation Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by CHATTBRIT View Post
    I saw in an interview that DC Venerbles had been with Clemson for 7 years. How has he not been snagged for a head coaching job before now? Bama seem to lose their coordinators every year, but Clemson just chugs along. Looking at the rest of the staff, the majority have been with Dabo for over 6 years. That kind of continuity can't be bought. What is Dabo's secret? Don't these guys have any ambition to move up the coaching ladder? Thoughts?
    I don't know the answer but I think we need to see if we can entice their offensive coordinator to come to Bama because other than last year we've been unable to stop them even with one of the best defensive teams in Bama history.

They also seem to be able to keep a lot of their junior talent from bolting to the NFL. Clemson may have problems reloading this coming year because they lose a lot of seniors.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMoon View Post

And, I know it makes some people feel uncomfortable, but I appreciate that he wants to give God credit for his success.

FWIW, I don't think God is a football fan and cares who wins, but I appreciate people who are successful remembering to give God glory for their success.
    I understand Dabo's mindset, it's very nice he's a dedicated Christian. I've always seen Saban as a moral man who is also a Christian. I think he's Catholic, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I'm much more comfortable with Saban's approach to religion than I am with Dabo's, but I also understand that's just a personal preference.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Well, if I made 2 mil a year I wouldn’t go anywhere either.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Clemson's national rankings in sacks:

2018 1st
    2017 t-1st
    2016 3rd
    2015 2nd
    2014 7th
    2013 12th
    2012 60th
    2011 63rd

TFLs

2018 1st
    2017 6th