How has Clemson kept hold of their staff?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Venerbles:
It's my understanding that Brent Venables was pursued by at least two places for HC vacancies this month but it's going to take a whole lot of get him to leave his situation at Clemson, which he really loves. https://t.co/37iWJbINoz
— Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) December 11, 2018
He has been contacted for HC jobs the last few years.... He is waiting for the right opportunities. To get him to leave Clemson, It has to be one of the top 10 jobs most wanted similar to Kirby Smart situation. He saw what Kirby did and he is using the same process. I do think 2019 will be his last year as a OC.

Jeff Scott: https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article223962465.html He is all about relationship and I think fear is what keeping him from moving on... But I do expect Clemson to have turnover soon... At some point the dam will finally break for Clemson...

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
When I started this thread I was genuinely interested in the reasons for the long term continuity. Thank you for your responses. I actually like Dabo and have been impressed by his approach to the game. He gave a schollie to Kevin Turner's son and then got Ross out of Alabama and he was awesome in the game. I love CNS, but he may consider lightening up a bit. Family is so important and your kids are only young once.

TheBeasKnees

Jul 24, 2018
Madison, AL
I disagree with this completely. His defense gave up a ton of yards, but his situational play calling made all of the difference. His game plan was creative (both with blitz packages and coverages) and he called the right plays exactly when he needed to. Tua, who has been known for his ability to recognize and diagnose defenses, was completely confused all night. He held the best offense Bama has ever had to 16 points and 4-13 on 3rd down. Compare the creativity Venables used to Alabama's defensive play calling and it's not even close; Clemson's was light-years better.

TheBeasKnees

Jul 24, 2018
Madison, AL
I don't think he did anything that impressive last night to be frank. He goofed Tua twice and his DL talent took over the LOS in the 2nd half. I don't want to give a guy a pat on the back for giving up 450 yards because he caught the college QB with a trap coverage twice. He called an adequate defensive game for a DC getting fantastic support from his own offense.
I disagree with this completely. His defense gave up a ton of yards, but his situational play calling made all of the difference. His game plan was creative (both with blitz packages and coverages) and he called the right plays exactly when he needed to. Tua, who has been known for his ability to recognize and diagnose defenses, was completely confused all night. He held the best offense Bama has ever had to 16 points and 4-13 on 3rd down. Compare the creativity Venables used to Alabama's defensive play calling and it's not even close; Clemson's was light-years better.

wumarshall82

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 13, 2016
All of the coaching staffs kids are either scholarship players or preferred walk-ons.. lol.

As a Clemson guy, it's pretty amazing how they keep all staff members. Some of the staff were Clemson players or have connections to the school (Tony Elliot and Jeff Scott). Clemson gives chances to lesser known guys, ie, the man Dabo himself who was out of coaching until Clemson gave him a shot at WR coach and ultimately HC, Chad Morris and Brent Venables (BV) was was ran out of OU. Swinney also has been know to take less of a raise or no raise in order to pay the assistants. They made Chad Morris the highest paid assistant at one point and has made BV a rich man. BV IMO has no desire to be a head coach as he has most likely had chances to be one and get back to the midwest where he is from. He is happier than you know what to coach the defense and not have to do the PR stuff that he would probably hate.

Dabo has created an atmosphere that kids want to play in and coaches want to work in. You very rarely see him ripping into coaches and players on the sidelines. In 2015 our punter made a bone head decision to run a fake for whatever the hell reason in the ACCCG and Dabo did get into him some but then he turned around and let him run a fake against OU in the playoff a few weeks later.

Last edited:

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
I have never heard anyone trying to hire their coaches during coaching rumor season. Morris is the only one and Ven only mentioned about KState.

And I have never heard anyone trying to hire Dabo.

You all ask why they dont leave.....I am asking why no one really pushes to hire them. I dont know, kind of weird.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Dabo hands out raises to his assistants.

Elliott and Scott helped the Tigers finish 15-0 and defeat Alabama 44-16 in the CFP National Championship Presented by AT&T on Jan. 8. The Tigers ranked third in the FBS in total offense (527.2 yards), fourth in scoring (44.3 points) and 10th in rushing (248.2 yards).

Clemson is 56-4 in the four seasons since Elliott and Scott replaced former offensive coordinator Chad Morris in December 2014.

The Charleston Post-Courier reported that Clemson assistants Brandon Streeter, Todd Bates, Lemanski Hall, Robbie Caldwell, Mickey Conn, Danny Pearman and Mike Reed will also receive raises, along with members of the support staff.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25952445/clemson-assistants-tony-elliott-jeff-scott-salaries-raised-1-million

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I think that we need to understand that there are differing ways to do the same job, and obviously the people around the Clemson program are very happy there. Whether it's their boss (most assuredly), the working conditions (same), the campus, the fan support, whatever, Dabo has struck a nice balance with the system he has in place and these guys understand how lucky they are to be a part of it.

I know nothing at all of what CNS tells people when he is interviewing assistants, but even if he says nothing but all I will promise you is brutally long hours, these guys know by now that the Saban coaching tree will take you places you otherwise wouldn't get to go, and they are coming here with that in mind, just like a lot of these kids come here on a three year plan before declaring for the draft. Does it make CNS' system any worse than Dabo's? No. It's just different, and up to this point, we have been just as effective even with the coaching turnover. But I do think that CNS is ready for a little more continuity.

rtr

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I think that we need to understand that there are differing ways to do the same job, and obviously the people around the Clemson program are very happy there. Whether it's their boss (most assuredly), the working conditions (same), the campus, the fan support, whatever, Dabo has struck a nice balance with the system he has in place and these guys understand how lucky they are to be a part of it.

I know nothing at all of what CNS tells people when he is interviewing assistants, but even if he says nothing but all I will promise you is brutally long hours, these guys know by now that the Saban coaching tree will take you places you otherwise wouldn't get to go, and they are coming here with that in mind, just like a lot of these kids come here on a three year plan before declaring for the draft. Does it make CNS' system any worse than Dabo's? No. It's just different, and up to this point, we have been just as effective even with the coaching turnover. But I do think that CNS is ready for a little more continuity.

rtr
I certainly can`t imagine that not being the case. I know we all are. I just don`t know what you do, other than offer more money, when other schools come after your assistants to be coordinators and coordinators to be HCs.

Striker

Oct 10, 2017
Venables is one thing—he can’t go anywhere else. But even if he could he probably wouldn’t. He knows his lane. Which is admirable imo.

As for the rest of the staff, that’s kind of mystery but I’d add that it won’t be long before they start getting plucked like our staff. It’s a trust/ confidence thing.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Surprised their receivers coach hasn't moved on to bigger things. Their receivers always seem to catch anything thrown their way. Not sure if they are just recruiting stud receivers, really developing their guys or a combination of both; but we've seen them make catch after crazy catch over the past four years.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
All of the coaching staffs kids are either scholarship players or preferred walk-ons.. lol.

As a Clemson guy, it's pretty amazing how they keep all staff members. Some of the staff were Clemson players or have connections to the school (Tony Elliot and Jeff Scott). Clemson gives chances to lesser known guys, ie, the man Dabo himself who was out of coaching until Clemson gave him a shot at WR coach and ultimately HC, Chad Morris and Brent Venables (BV) was was ran out of OU. Swinney also has been know to take less of a raise or no raise in order to pay the assistants. They made Chad Morris the highest paid assistant at one point and has made BV a rich man. BV IMO has no desire to be a head coach as he has most likely had chances to be one and get back to the midwest where he is from. He is happier than you know what to coach the defense and not have to do the PR stuff that he would probably hate.

Dabo has created an atmosphere that kids want to play in and coaches want to work in. You very rarely see him ripping into coaches and players on the sidelines. In 2015 our punter made a bone head decision to run a fake for whatever the hell reason in the ACCCG and Dabo did get into him some but then he turned around and let him run a fake against OU in the playoff a few weeks later.
According to our regular OU posters, BV was not ran out of Oklahoma. Please elaborate on that point.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Yep, I think Dabo has struck a balance between being able to create a work environment that doesn't mentally and physically consume the coach and their family and still being able to put a championship level product on the field. For a lot of these guys, that very well maybe worth staying and not chasing the dollar and prestige of bigger job titles.

rtr

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Surprised their receivers coach hasn't moved on to bigger things. Their receivers always seem to catch anything thrown their way. Not sure if they are just recruiting stud receivers, really developing their guys or a combination of both; but we've seen them make catch after crazy catch over the past four years.
Doesn't Dabo coach receivers?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Yep, I think Dabo has struck a balance between being able to create a work environment that doesn't mentally and physically consume the coach and their family and still being able to put a championship level product on the field. For a lot of these guys, that very well maybe worth staying and not chasing the dollar and prestige of bigger job titles.
I think this might be the year where Clemson will struggle... and pressure are on assistant coaches....

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I think this might be the year where Clemson will struggle... and pressure are on assistant coaches....
They may struggle in the playoffs. But I'm not sure any of the other ACC teams are getting that much better and Clemson will have that much drop off for them to truly "struggle" in the regular season. Fla St appears to be a dumpster fire that Taggart is unable to turn around. Miami is starting over, again. Who else in the ACC showed any sort of upward trajectory to even make Clemson keep their starters in after the 3rd quarter?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.