How has Clemson kept hold of their staff? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Re: How has Clemson kept hold of their staff?

Quote Originally Posted by BradtheImpaler View Post
    He's embraced the offensive change we've experienced this year, so...
    I'd hold up on saying he's "embraced" it just yet. Kinda remains to be seen if we lean on the pass that heavily next year and going forward.

I posted in another thread that ESPN reported that our total offensive yardage was 67% passing this year.

Not only will we probably not have a Tua type talent at QB after he leaves, but I think it could be argued that our failure to run the ball more over the course of the season kept us from being able to enforce our will at various times.

The struggle to get into the endzone at the goal line shocked us, but I remember a few times earlier in the year when our offense struggled in similar situations.

Guess what I'm saying is I kinda think we'll see that 67% passing adjust downward with possibly more emphasis on the running attack.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Venerbles:
    It's my understanding that Brent Venables was pursued by at least two places for HC vacancies this month but it's going to take a whole lot of get him to leave his situation at Clemson, which he really loves. https://t.co/37iWJbINoz
    Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) December 11, 2018
    He has been contacted for HC jobs the last few years.... He is waiting for the right opportunities. To get him to leave Clemson, It has to be one of the top 10 jobs most wanted similar to Kirby Smart situation. He saw what Kirby did and he is using the same process. I do think 2019 will be his last year as a OC.

Jeff Scott: https://www.thestate.com/sports/coll...223962465.html He is all about relationship and I think fear is what keeping him from moving on... But I do expect Clemson to have turnover soon... At some point the dam will finally break for Clemson...
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation Hall of Fame CHATTBRIT's Avatar

When I started this thread I was genuinely interested in the reasons for the long term continuity. Thank you for your responses. I actually like Dabo and have been impressed by his approach to the game. He gave a schollie to Kevin Turner's son and then got Ross out of Alabama and he was awesome in the game. I love CNS, but he may consider lightening up a bit. Family is so important and your kids are only young once.
    Manchester City 2017-2018 English Premier League Champions & Carabou Cup Winners
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag

BamaNation Third Team TheBeasKnees's Avatar

I disagree with this completely. His defense gave up a ton of yards, but his situational play calling made all of the difference. His game plan was creative (both with blitz packages and coverages) and he called the right plays exactly when he needed to. Tua, who has been known for his ability to recognize and diagnose defenses, was completely confused all night. He held the best offense Bama has ever had to 16 points and 4-13 on 3rd down. Compare the creativity Venables used to Alabama's defensive play calling and it's not even close; Clemson's was light-years better.

BamaNation Third Team TheBeasKnees's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    I don't think he did anything that impressive last night to be frank. He goofed Tua twice and his DL talent took over the LOS in the 2nd half. I don't want to give a guy a pat on the back for giving up 450 yards because he caught the college QB with a trap coverage twice. He called an adequate defensive game for a DC getting fantastic support from his own offense.
    I disagree with this completely. His defense gave up a ton of yards, but his situational play calling made all of the difference. His game plan was creative (both with blitz packages and coverages) and he called the right plays exactly when he needed to. Tua, who has been known for his ability to recognize and diagnose defenses, was completely confused all night. He held the best offense Bama has ever had to 16 points and 4-13 on 3rd down. Compare the creativity Venables used to Alabama's defensive play calling and it's not even close; Clemson's was light-years better.

BamaNation Third Team

All of the coaching staffs kids are either scholarship players or preferred walk-ons.. lol.

As a Clemson guy, it's pretty amazing how they keep all staff members. Some of the staff were Clemson players or have connections to the school (Tony Elliot and Jeff Scott). Clemson gives chances to lesser known guys, ie, the man Dabo himself who was out of coaching until Clemson gave him a shot at WR coach and ultimately HC, Chad Morris and Brent Venables (BV) was was ran out of OU. Swinney also has been know to take less of a raise or no raise in order to pay the assistants. They made Chad Morris the highest paid assistant at one point and has made BV a rich man. BV IMO has no desire to be a head coach as he has most likely had chances to be one and get back to the midwest where he is from. He is happier than you know what to coach the defense and not have to do the PR stuff that he would probably hate.

Dabo has created an atmosphere that kids want to play in and coaches want to work in. You very rarely see him ripping into coaches and players on the sidelines. In 2015 our punter made a bone head decision to run a fake for whatever the hell reason in the ACCCG and Dabo did get into him some but then he turned around and let him run a fake against OU in the playoff a few weeks later.
    Last edited by wumarshall82; January 9th, 2019 at 08:46 PM.

BamaNation First Team

I have never heard anyone trying to hire their coaches during coaching rumor season. Morris is the only one and Ven only mentioned about KState.

And I have never heard anyone trying to hire Dabo.

You all ask why they dont leave.....I am asking why no one really pushes to hire them. I dont know, kind of weird.