How has Clemson kept hold of their staff? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: How has Clemson kept hold of their staff?

Surprised their receivers coach hasn't moved on to bigger things. Their receivers always seem to catch anything thrown their way. Not sure if they are just recruiting stud receivers, really developing their guys or a combination of both; but we've seen them make catch after crazy catch over the past four years.
    RTR

2. Advertisement
    FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NoNC4Tubs View Post
    Well, they certainly deserve it...
    ​I guess accidental PED's aren't cheap.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wumarshall82 View Post
    All of the coaching staffs kids are either scholarship players or preferred walk-ons.. lol.

As a Clemson guy, it's pretty amazing how they keep all staff members. Some of the staff were Clemson players or have connections to the school (Tony Elliot and Jeff Scott). Clemson gives chances to lesser known guys, ie, the man Dabo himself who was out of coaching until Clemson gave him a shot at WR coach and ultimately HC, Chad Morris and Brent Venables (BV) was was ran out of OU. Swinney also has been know to take less of a raise or no raise in order to pay the assistants. They made Chad Morris the highest paid assistant at one point and has made BV a rich man. BV IMO has no desire to be a head coach as he has most likely had chances to be one and get back to the midwest where he is from. He is happier than you know what to coach the defense and not have to do the PR stuff that he would probably hate.

Dabo has created an atmosphere that kids want to play in and coaches want to work in. You very rarely see him ripping into coaches and players on the sidelines. In 2015 our punter made a bone head decision to run a fake for whatever the hell reason in the ACCCG and Dabo did get into him some but then he turned around and let him run a fake against OU in the playoff a few weeks later.
    According to our regular OU posters, BV was not ran out of Oklahoma. Please elaborate on that point.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Yep, I think Dabo has struck a balance between being able to create a work environment that doesn't mentally and physically consume the coach and their family and still being able to put a championship level product on the field. For a lot of these guys, that very well maybe worth staying and not chasing the dollar and prestige of bigger job titles.

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    I think that we need to understand that there are differing ways to do the same job, and obviously the people around the Clemson program are very happy there. Whether it's their boss (most assuredly), the working conditions (same), the campus, the fan support, whatever, Dabo has struck a nice balance with the system he has in place and these guys understand how lucky they are to be a part of it.

I know nothing at all of what CNS tells people when he is interviewing assistants, but even if he says nothing but all I will promise you is brutally long hours, these guys know by now that the Saban coaching tree will take you places you otherwise wouldn't get to go, and they are coming here with that in mind, just like a lot of these kids come here on a three year plan before declaring for the draft. Does it make CNS' system any worse than Dabo's? No. It's just different, and up to this point, we have been just as effective even with the coaching turnover. But I do think that CNS is ready for a little more continuity.

rtr
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American Mystical's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trenda View Post
    Surprised their receivers coach hasn't moved on to bigger things. Their receivers always seem to catch anything thrown their way. Not sure if they are just recruiting stud receivers, really developing their guys or a combination of both; but we've seen them make catch after crazy catch over the past four years.
    Doesn't Dabo coach receivers?
    WHERE EVER YOU GO, YOU TAKE YOURSELF WITH YOU

Only when his or Herbstreit's kids are on the team...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystical View Post

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Yep, I think Dabo has struck a balance between being able to create a work environment that doesn't mentally and physically consume the coach and their family and still being able to put a championship level product on the field. For a lot of these guys, that very well maybe worth staying and not chasing the dollar and prestige of bigger job titles.
    I think this might be the year where Clemson will struggle... and pressure are on assistant coaches....
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    I think this might be the year where Clemson will struggle... and pressure are on assistant coaches....
    They may struggle in the playoffs. But I'm not sure any of the other ACC teams are getting that much better and Clemson will have that much drop off for them to truly "struggle" in the regular season. Fla St appears to be a dumpster fire that Taggart is unable to turn around. Miami is starting over, again. Who else in the ACC showed any sort of upward trajectory to even make Clemson keep their starters in after the 3rd quarter?
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

They may struggle in the playoffs. But I'm not sure any of the other ACC teams are getting that much better and Clemson will have that much drop off for them to truly "struggle" in the regular season. Fla St appears to be a dumpster fire that Taggart is unable to turn around. Miami is starting over, again. Who else in the ACC showed any sort of upward trajectory to even make Clemson keep their starters in after the 3rd quarter?
    Someone from the ACC gives them a game every year. They beat Syracuse by 4 points this past year primarily due to a 4th down completion from their 3rd string QB. Yes, on paper they should route everybody but we all know it doesn't work that way. We've seen this time and time again with Ohio St., FSU and even Alabama. Every team in the ACC will gameplan for Clemson and Trevor Lawrence all off season. I bet they slip up somewhere..

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    Someone from the ACC gives them a game every year. They beat Syracuse by 4 points this past year primarily due to a 4th down completion from their 3rd string QB. Yes, on paper they should route everybody but we all know it doesn't work that way. We've seen this time and time again with Ohio St., FSU and even Alabama. Every team in the ACC will gameplan for Clemson and Trevor Lawrence all off season. I bet they slip up somewhere..
    Agree on each year someone comes out of nowhere and gives them a game. But in most of those cases it was due to their starting quarterback going down or they hit a rash of injuries so bad that backup wr's were playing safety and corner. I guess what I'm saying is, that they don't have anyone who truly can challenge them unless something like a QB injury occurs or they have multiple injuries at the same time in key positions. There's no one in their conference who can make them struggle "straight up".
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; February 11th, 2019 at 12:45 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles17 View Post
    ​I guess accidental PED's aren't cheap.
    Structured like an organized crime family.....

Here's your Vitamin B12 Shot -- with a little 'sometin sometin' for energy.....
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Agree on each year someone comes out of nowhere and gives them a game. But in most of those cases it was due to their starting quarterback going down or they hit a rash of injuries so bad that backup wr's were playing safety and corner. I guess what I'm saying is, that they don't have anyone who truly can challenge them unless something like a QB injury occurs or they have multiple injuries. There's no one in their conference who can make them struggle "straight up".
    Also Trevor has lot of game tape on him... we'll see how good he is at adjusting.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical View Post
    Jeff Scott is their receivers coach
    RTR