How has Clemson kept hold of their staff?

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I saw in an interview that DC Venerbles had been with Clemson for 7 years. How has he not been snagged for a head coaching job before now? Bama seem to lose their coordinators every year, but Clemson just chugs along. Looking at the rest of the staff, the majority have been with Dabo for over 6 years. That kind of continuity can't be bought. What is Dabo's secret? Don't these guys have any ambition to move up the coaching ladder? Thoughts?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Sometimes you reach the place in life where you are content with your standing. Perhaps that is the place Venables is at. When you are making 2 million a year to coach defense, and don't have the immense pressure of running the whole program, that is a GREAT place to be.

It made a huge difference last night. One I am not sure anybody saw coming. So what is Dabo's secret? I think he's lucky to have someone like Venables. And I'm old enough to remember when he was run out of Oklahoma. Seems Clemson got the better of that deal by a wide margin.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Seriously, someone needs to hire away Venables ASAP. This is something Saban has to constantly deal with, if Alabama simply had staff continuity they'd probably have another championship (the Kiffin mess probably cost them one) or two.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I used to think when Saban hired a coach, he expected a minimum of three years from the person. Now, I don't know if he even has that expectation...it seems like he hires guys who decide to try it at Bama for a year or two while shopping for a better job.

I'm reminded of Gene Stallings remarks when Fran bolted. "He should have honored his contract." Sometimes in the pursuit of money we lose sight of the fact that coaches are supposed to set good examples for the young guys they coach.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Some don't want to acknowledge that Dabo has figured out a way to incorporate an "aww shucks" style into an environment that is laid back but also one that wins lots of games and now multiple championships.

Someone else in another thread said that Venables likes that kind of environment. If that's his personality style he's found a perfect place to have both.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Seriously, someone needs to hire away Venables ASAP. This is something Saban has to constantly deal with, if Alabama simply had staff continuity they'd probably have another championship (the Kiffin mess probably cost them one) or two.
I don't think he did anything that impressive last night to be frank. He goofed Tua twice and his DL talent took over the LOS in the 2nd half. I don't want to give a guy a pat on the back for giving up 450 yards because he caught the college QB with a trap coverage twice. He called an adequate defensive game for a DC getting fantastic support from his own offense.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Sometimes you reach the place in life where you are content with your standing. Perhaps that is the place Venables is at. When you are making 2 million a year to coach defense, and don't have the immense pressure of running the whole program, that is a GREAT place to be.

It made a huge difference last night. One I am not sure anybody saw coming. So what is Dabo's secret? I think he's lucky to have someone like Venables. And I'm old enough to remember when he was run out of Oklahoma. Seems Clemson got the better of that deal by a wide margin.
Sometimes, people are just content to be EFFECTIVE assistants and do not need the STRESS of being the head coach. Less headaches, less media to deal with, don't have to deal with the boosters, the school's administrators, etc. Just giving your input on the things that affect you in your ROLE as assistant, coordinator, etc. And if you are paid a great salary, you can live a good life. Just look at the DC at Virginia Tech.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
Prior to the start of the CFP, I heard an interview with someone in the CU camp and this exact question was asked. Two answers were given. First, they pay their assistants. Some years ago, CU offered to raise Dabo. Instead of accepting it, he insisted the amount be split among his staff. They’re paid such that no one will leave unless it’s a top tier job.

Second, Dabo promotes family. Things in the FB revolve around family activities - not the other way around. The week the interview took place, the guy said they’d rescheduled a morning meeting to an hour earlier so one of the coaches could watch his little girl in a school program. That week, Dabo himself attended his son’s b-ball game at school. During the season, several assistants have sons who play HS football. On away games, those assistants stay behind while the team travels ahead, they attend their son’s games, and then they’re flown to the game site either later that night or early on Saturday.

The guy being interviewed said that in the coaching profession, those two things were unheard of.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Prior to the start of the CFP, I heard an interview with someone in the CU camp and this exact question was asked. Two answers were given. First, they pay their assistants. Some years ago, CU offered to raise Dabo. Instead of accepting it, he insisted the amount be split among his staff. They’re paid such that no one will leave unless it’s a top tier job.

Second, Dabo promotes family. Things in the FB revolve around family activities - not the other way around. The week the interview took place, the guy said they’d rescheduled a morning meeting to an hour earlier so one of the coaches could watch his little girl in a school program. That week, Dabo himself attended his son’s b-ball game at school. During the season, several assistants have sons who play HS football. On away games, those assistants stay behind while the team travels ahead, they attend their son’s games, and then they’re flown to the game site either later that night or early on Saturday.

The guy being interviewed said that in the coaching profession, those two things were unheard of.
Mad props. He's creative for sure. I had a call from a person this morning who, ironically, knows someone whose son plays for Dabo saying some similar things. His style/ways/atmosphere attract certain types of people.

And, I know it makes some people feel uncomfortable, but I appreciate that he wants to give God credit for his success.

FWIW, I don't think God is a football fan and cares who wins, but I appreciate people who are successful remembering to give God glory for their success.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Mad props. He's creative for sure. I had a call from a person this morning who, ironically, knows someone whose son plays for Dabo saying some similar things. His style/ways/atmosphere attract certain types of people.

And, I know it makes some people feel uncomfortable, but I appreciate that he wants to give God credit for his success.

FWIW, I don't think God is a football fan and cares who wins, but I appreciate people who are successful remembering to give God glory for their success.
We went that route big time with Mike DuBose. I wonder if he and Dabo are still in touch with each other these days.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Ehhh ... change will happen ... its inevitable. Venables did an awesome job last night. But he like any other coach will either move on or find himself in a trend of not getting the job done. It happens. Chavis was the guy just a few years ago ... just saying.

Most of our turnover has been either CNS making changes or for coaches to go and become HCs, mainly because other programs want access to someone that has knowledge of what makes this a successful program. I think eventually you'll see more of that with Dabo at Clemson the more successful he is. OSU has gone through a lot of that because of Myer being there as well. Just comes with being a successful program

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
How long did Kirby stay with BAMA? Now that people start realizing that Clemson is more than a flash in the pan team, I suspect they will start losing some of their coaching staff. BAMA will not stay on top forever. Neither will Clemson or the next team or the team after that.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

This. From what I`ve read, they just flat like it there. Say what you will about Dabo, he`s apparently created an environment and a culture within which these guys and their families want to live and work. It appears he`s been able to make it where it would have to be one more hellaciously great job for them to leave. I think we saw at least some of the benefits of that approach last night.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

There has been a similar atmosphere created where I work. I've been here now for 14 years. I have turned down offers over the years, as well as rejected the urge to try and find something more lucrative, because of the atmosphere. And it has paid off in the long run.

I think there is great value in doing this at your company. And Dabo has certainly proven you can run your operation this way and still win big.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
Also heard another interview by Ryan Fowler the other day where Dabo will host a dinner at his house for all the new staff members... and he’ll invite all the media folks over so they can meet and visit with the new guys in a relaxed atmosphere.

For everything we hear from AU about “family”, it seems Dabo does it at Clemson.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
The general thinking from talking heads here in Columbia is that Venables is being ultra-picky with HC jobs. He's completely happy at Clemson and is already paid such that many smaller D1 schools cannot match his current salary, so he can afford to only consider upper tier jobs. He played and coached at Kansas State and many felt he was waiting on that job, but KSU bungled that and now has hired the North Dakota State coach, which may or may not be a good hire (successful FCS HC versus successful FBS coordinator).

Basically he went out and found top-notch coordinators who do not have ultra-strong ambitions to be head coach. The exception was Chad Morris, who did leave for a HC job.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I don't think he did anything that impressive last night to be frank. He goofed Tua twice and his DL talent took over the LOS in the 2nd half. I don't want to give a guy a pat on the back for giving up 450 yards because he caught the college QB with a trap coverage twice. He called an adequate defensive game for a DC getting fantastic support from his own offense.
we were still moving the ball very well in the three drives in the third quarter, until we got to the red zone and got cute/lost focus.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
There's a lot to be said for how winning cures all ills. If Clemson had lost last night, how many CU fans would be questioning the protocols and environment Dabo has created for his staff? This isn't to say what Dabo has set up doesn't work - it obviously does work. But since Alabama lost last night, I've found myself questioning in knee-jerk fashion if the problem to the coaching turnover is tied to the overall environment that CNS has created. Or, since everything is always business-like at Alabama, is that a function of the school and its expectations? Would they stand for Dabo's setup if he were to come coach at Alabama? If he kept winning games and championships, I'm not sure Alabama would have a problem with his setup.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.