I Need Advice About a Poor Google Review

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Here’s my first draft:

Hi Thomas, thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m very sorry to hear you had a bad experience on the telephone before even getting to our office. I’ve shown your review to Mitzi and I can assure you that my staff and I take our reviews seriously. We would love to have you as a dental patient. If you would like to resolve this issue please contact me at fotfrocks@gmail.com. I’m certain we can find a solution amicably.
Very sincerely,
Joe Widner

This is a very professional response and exactly what I would want to see as a potential customer/patient looking at your reviews.

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
As you likely already know, anything you do is fraught with potential negative effects on your business.

Leave the review up with no response and people think this may be true. Respond too forcefully, and people might think you are a bully to boot.

You seem - and this is to be expected - to want to make an emotional response. That would be ill-advised.

You have to make smart business decision, including how you respond to social media. In this day and age especially how you respond to social media.

My advice: Respond like a businessman.

Apologize for any misunderstanding but state your belief that no one would tell your patients (established or prospective) these things and that you and your staff, who have been in business for five years, strive to offer the highest quality services from before the first appt is made. Explain how Mitzi has 40 years of experience in the same location. State that you would appreciate the opportunity to earn Mr Wilson's business.

Bottom line: He probably doesn't want you and you probably don't want him but this is an opportunity to show that you are level-headed and care about people.

This is your opportunity to advertise that for free.

I would also advise that you pay extra attention to Mitzi's dealings with the public to make sure she is behaving appropriately unless you are already 100% sure that she would never say anything that could be misinterpreted or misunderstood in this way by any reasonable person.

Good people are very difficult to find for that type of position. It can be very demanding and takes a particular set of skills that seem more and more difficult to find and keep, so doing the above with some stealth and only if you have a doubt is in order.

Running a business is hard. Building a reputation is difficult. 5 years is long enough to build a pretty good base and those who know you and your staff will know the truth, but you want to continue to build so responding with finesse and grace will help in that endeavor.

To sum it up:

Divorce your emotions from your response and use this as an opportunity to grow your business.

FWIW, we've been through about 3 Mitzi's in less than 2 years, but each had issues that could not be overcome. I've been here three years and building our base has taken a long time and we still have a ways to go. Two things have stood in the way: Poor decision making by former "leaders" and poor decisions by staff (that was too often directly or indirectly caused or made worse by poor leadership decisions). We've had to delay expanding services so we can get the right pieces in the right places. That's how vital getting and keeping the right people is.

Good luck, keep a level head, be a businessman, and provide leadership and all will be well.
Nailed it. There is no upside to this, you just need to show professionalism.
I won’t lie, you saying Mitzi can be “short” with people leads me to think others will consider that rudeness. If they think that, posting a negative review with exaggerations and falsehoods is a very real possibility.
From a “patient” perspective, no one enjoys dental visits. Having worked with front desk women who had sparkling personalities and could calm down the surliest of customers (most of the time), it’s just my opinion but I’d monitor her “short” behavior; even when it’s justified, it will NEVER enhance your reputation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
As you likely already know, anything you do is fraught with potential negative effects on your business.

Leave the review up with no response and people think this may be true. Respond too forcefully, and people might think you are a bully to boot.

You seem - and this is to be expected - to want to make an emotional response. That would be ill-advised.

You have to make smart business decision, including how you respond to social media. In this day and age especially how you respond to social media.

My advice: Respond like a businessman.

Apologize for any misunderstanding but state your belief that no one would tell your patients (established or prospective) these things and that you and your staff, who have been in business for five years, strive to offer the highest quality services from before the first appt is made. Explain how Mitzi has 40 years of experience in the same location. State that you would appreciate the opportunity to earn Mr Wilson's business.

Bottom line: He probably doesn't want you and you probably don't want him but this is an opportunity to show that you are level-headed and care about people.

This is your opportunity to advertise that for free.

I would also advise that you pay extra attention to Mitzi's dealings with the public to make sure she is behaving appropriately unless you are already 100% sure that she would never say anything that could be misinterpreted or misunderstood in this way by any reasonable person.

Good people are very difficult to find for that type of position. It can be very demanding and takes a particular set of skills that seem more and more difficult to find and keep, so doing the above with some stealth and only if you have a doubt is in order.

Running a business is hard. Building a reputation is difficult. 5 years is long enough to build a pretty good base and those who know you and your staff will know the truth, but you want to continue to build so responding with finesse and grace will help in that endeavor.

To sum it up:

Divorce your emotions from your response and use this as an opportunity to grow your business.

FWIW, we've been through about 3 Mitzi's in less than 2 years, but each had issues that could not be overcome. I've been here three years and building our base has taken a long time and we still have a ways to go. Two things have stood in the way: Poor decision making by former "leaders" and poor decisions by staff (that was too often directly or indirectly caused or made worse by poor leadership decisions). We've had to delay expanding services so we can get the right pieces in the right places. That's how vital getting and keeping the right people is.

Good luck, keep a level head, be a businessman, and provide leadership and all will be well.
On the other hand, you could find out where the guy lives and go all "Al Capone" on him.

On second thought, don't do that. Go with what NationalTitles17 said.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Here’s my first draft:

Hi Thomas, thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m very sorry to hear you had a bad experience on the telephone before even getting to our office. I’ve shown your review to Mitzi and I can assure you that my staff and I take our reviews seriously. We would love to have you as a dental patient. If you would like to resolve this issue please contact me at fotfrocks@gmail.com. I’m certain we can find a solution amicably.
Very sincerely,
Joe Widner
1. I'd make sure that's a business email or a burner.

2. Short and professional.

Overall, pretty good. You come off as a professional and that will be reassuring to the public at large.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I’ve posted my response. I’m very grateful to you all for your level headed advice.

A very heartfelt thank you to my Tidefans friends.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Please let us know if you hear anything else regarding this. I haven’t posted anything here but have been following. I’m in a part of an industry providing customer service and this intrigued me as to how everything turns out.
I’ve posted my response. I’m very grateful to you all for your level headed advice.

A very heartfelt thank you to my Tidefans friends.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The caller is probably a Vol fan. Can’t blame Mitzi for assuming he has poor dental hygiene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'd go along with 17 for this incident. If something happens again with a similar attack, I might consider posting a rejoinder that you don't consider this to be a review by a genuine prospective patient, but that's just me. Our present dentist is OK, but her "Mitzi" is from New Jersey, never lost the accent or attitude. If I were sensitive, I probably would have quit over her. I'm sure many southerners have. However, I used to live in that area. She means well; it's just that she can't seem to climb out of her background template. If she didn't understand a query, she would probably answer, instead of "I'm not sure what you mean," she'd say "Whaddya mean?"

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I find it interesting that you are pestered so much by salespeople. It used to be that the bane of our existence were people selling some method to improve our Google rating. (Immaterial to me in my practice.) I think Google got very proactive and ran most of those people out of business. The main annoyance now are telemarketers for various telephone plans, all claiming to be "from AT&T"...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.