I Need Advice About a Poor Google Review

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I am a dentist in Milan, TN. I have a small business with one front office person, a hygienist, and my dental assistant. My wife fills in from time to time. This is the way I want my business because I have worked in larger offices and in my opinion quality suffers. I have been in my present location for 5 years now. I was voted the best dentist in Milan for the past two years. My hygienist has been voted the best of the best the last three years.

Earlier today I received and email from Google My Business which said I had a new review. Here is the review:

Thomas Wilson 7 hours ago
First off i'm new to Milan and so i'm currently looking for my new primary care type doctors. Called to book an appointment a few days ago with Dr. Widner because he is so close to where I live and has a few good reviews. The lady on the phone Mitzi was SO RUDE. I have a mildly busy schedule with my new job and we were having a hard time making a 1st time appointment. She told me that I wasn't serious about dental care and i should go find someone who was less busy. I took her advice and am happy I did so. My apologies to Dr. Widner, but Mitzi was just so off putting and rude that i'm shocked that she is the person in charge of greeting and setting up new customers. Maybe she was just having a bad day but it was quite shocking.

Mitzi, my receptionist and office manager, does not recall this conversation but and said she was adamant that she didn't tell a prospective patient that they weren't serious about their dental care and she didn't advise them to go elsewhere. Mitzi does have a temper and she can be short with people but this does not sound like her at all. She has been doing the same job for over 40 years since her grandfather, then father, then brother, and finally I owned the dental office.

About an hour before the negative review was posted a salesman called from Dr Presley's office and insisted he talk to me. My assistant told him I was currently unavailable. Ten minutes later a different salesman also from Dr Presley's office called and told Mitzi his employer insisted that he speak with me. Mitzi told the caller that I was not interested and did not know his employer. I suspect these two incidents, the caller not getting his way and the negative Google review, may be connected.

Should I respond by calling the guy out for defaming Mitzi and my office when he has never set foot through my front door? Should I ignore?

My inclination is to call Mr Thomas Wilson out for being a coward to post negative things about people he does not know. Mitizi was visibly upset and probably rightfully so.

My apologies for the long post. I'm hoping for some usable advice on how to handle this situation. I do appreciate your time and consideration.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
As you likely already know, anything you do is fraught with potential negative effects on your business.

Leave the review up with no response and people think this may be true. Respond too forcefully, and people might think you are a bully to boot.

You seem - and this is to be expected - to want to make an emotional response. That would be ill-advised.

You have to make smart business decision, including how you respond to social media. In this day and age especially how you respond to social media.

My advice: Respond like a businessman.

Apologize for any misunderstanding but state your belief that no one would tell your patients (established or prospective) these things and that you and your staff, who have been in business for five years, strive to offer the highest quality services from before the first appt is made. Explain how Mitzi has 40 years of experience in the same location. State that you would appreciate the opportunity to earn Mr Wilson's business.

Bottom line: He probably doesn't want you and you probably don't want him but this is an opportunity to show that you are level-headed and care about people.

This is your opportunity to advertise that for free.

I would also advise that you pay extra attention to Mitzi's dealings with the public to make sure she is behaving appropriately unless you are already 100% sure that she would never say anything that could be misinterpreted or misunderstood in this way by any reasonable person.

Good people are very difficult to find for that type of position. It can be very demanding and takes a particular set of skills that seem more and more difficult to find and keep, so doing the above with some stealth and only if you have a doubt is in order.

Running a business is hard. Building a reputation is difficult. 5 years is long enough to build a pretty good base and those who know you and your staff will know the truth, but you want to continue to build so responding with finesse and grace will help in that endeavor.

To sum it up:

Divorce your emotions from your response and use this as an opportunity to grow your business.

FWIW, we've been through about 3 Mitzi's in less than 2 years, but each had issues that could not be overcome. I've been here three years and building our base has taken a long time and we still have a ways to go. Two things have stood in the way: Poor decision making by former "leaders" and poor decisions by staff (that was too often directly or indirectly caused or made worse by poor leadership decisions). We've had to delay expanding services so we can get the right pieces in the right places. That's how vital getting and keeping the right people is.

Good luck, keep a level head, be a businessman, and provide leadership and all will be well.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
That’s an amazingly well thought out response, NT. I owe you a bottle of wine. Sincerely, thank you for taking the time to help me.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
That’s an amazingly well thought out response, NT. I owe you a bottle of wine. Sincerely, thank you for taking the time to help me.
I'll PM you my consultation fee, but wave it. :D

I wonder if there is a market for such consultations (my mind is always going).

On a serious note, you are welcome. I've been around the block a time or two and still make plenty of mistakes. That and observation are how I learned most of the little I know.

The trick in your position is to think before you act (and speak) and consider other points of view in that process. By Considering "appearances" (really, just how things might appear to others) you can avoid many missteps and do things in such a way that proves you care more than just about appearances.

I've had to deal with problem people and sometimes you have to kick established people to the curb or avoid forming a lasting relationship with someone you know will be a problem, disruption, and/or liability. So you may even want to decline the advice about a declaration that you want to earn his business because there's a good chance you don't. That has to also be considered.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Respond to the review if you can, using calming words, maybe even apologizing for the misunderstanding (I'm sure you can work around actually apologizing for an event you say didn't happen, but you get the idea). Then give the number to the office out and tell them you'd like a chance to earn her business. If you get a legitimate female call you can address the situation, if nobody ever calls you've at least shown you're customer oriented.

I personally would find the guy and leave his dog's head in his bed beside him, but that's why I'm not in a public related field of employment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
As you likely already know, anything you do is fraught with potential negative effects on your business.

Leave the review up with no response and people think this may be true. Respond too forcefully, and people might think you are a bully to boot.

You seem - and this is to be expected - to want to make an emotional response. That would be ill-advised.

You have to make smart business decision, including how you respond to social media. In this day and age especially how you respond to social media.

My advice: Respond like a businessman.

Apologize for any misunderstanding but state your belief that no one would tell your patients (established or prospective) these things and that you and your staff, who have been in business for five years, strive to offer the highest quality services from before the first appt is made. Explain how Mitzi has 40 years of experience in the same location. State that you would appreciate the opportunity to earn Mr Wilson's business.

Bottom line: He probably doesn't want you and you probably don't want him but this is an opportunity to show that you are level-headed and care about people.

This is your opportunity to advertise that for free.

I would also advise that you pay extra attention to Mitzi's dealings with the public to make sure she is behaving appropriately unless you are already 100% sure that she would never say anything that could be misinterpreted or misunderstood in this way by any reasonable person.

Good people are very difficult to find for that type of position. It can be very demanding and takes a particular set of skills that seem more and more difficult to find and keep, so doing the above with some stealth and only if you have a doubt is in order.

Running a business is hard. Building a reputation is difficult. 5 years is long enough to build a pretty good base and those who know you and your staff will know the truth, but you want to continue to build so responding with finesse and grace will help in that endeavor.

To sum it up:

Divorce your emotions from your response and use this as an opportunity to grow your business.

FWIW, we've been through about 3 Mitzi's in less than 2 years, but each had issues that could not be overcome. I've been here three years and building our base has taken a long time and we still have a ways to go. Two things have stood in the way: Poor decision making by former "leaders" and poor decisions by staff (that was too often directly or indirectly caused or made worse by poor leadership decisions). We've had to delay expanding services so we can get the right pieces in the right places. That's how vital getting and keeping the right people is.

Good luck, keep a level head, be a businessman, and provide leadership and all will be well.
the bolded text is wonderful advice. i have to remind myself of that weekly.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
---snip---
I personally would find the guy and leave his dog's head in his bed beside him, but that's why I'm not in a public related field of employment.
Whoa whoa whoa.......why hurt his dog? What did the poor dog do to deserve losing his head?

I know it's a figure of speech you are trying to use but please.....perhaps something like "I would leave a big bag of doo doo." instead of man's best friend.

Great advice so far otherwise.....:wink:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Go Bama - thanks for posting in our community. Stuff like this, as unfortunate as it is, provides educational moments for all.

As I said, great advice given to you so far.

I'm wondering how many positive reviews you have and if another strategy would be to campaign to get as many of those as possible to add to what's currently posted.

My dentist actually sent me an email with a request to post a review after a visit last year. And I followed through for him and his staff as they always do a great job and I thought deserved the appropriate accolades.

As far as the negative post....yes indeed I would respond with something like "We are concerned that you had a negative experience but after considerable discussion with my staff, we think there must be some kind of mix up. As far as we know, we have never turned any prospective client/patient/customer (whichever is appropriate) away and have a track record as you can see per the many positive reviews that we strive to maintain as much satisfaction as possible. Please accept our apologies for the misunderstanding and let us know if we can help to resolve in any way. Thank you!"

I'd also give Mitzi a nice vase of fresh flowers with a small thank you note for all she does to help you day in and day out. I'm sure she deserves it and it's money well spent to provide a good vibe going forward.

Good luck, Doc!

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Who is Dr. Presley? I don't understand how the salesman calling from a Dr. Presley's office fits in since there wasn't an explanation on what/who that entity is.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Here’s my first draft:

[FONT=&quot]Hi Thomas, thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m very sorry to hear you had a bad experience on the telephone before even getting to our office. I’ve shown your review to Mitzi and I can assure you that my staff and I take our reviews seriously. We would love to have you as a dental patient. If you would like to resolve this issue please contact me at fotfrocks@gmail.com. I’m certain we can find a solution amicably.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Very sincerely,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Joe Widner[/FONT]

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Who is Dr. Presley? I don't understand how the salesman calling from a Dr. Presley's office fits in since there wasn't an explanation on what/who that entity is.
We get calls everyday from dental telemarketers, mostly about how to increase productivity. There are hundreds of these companies and I receive daily email, and weekly snail mail and phone calls. I’m not interested in speaking with these people and Mitzi knows that so she screens them for me.

We suspect “Dr Presley” is a telemarketer since his lackeys would not disclose the nature of their call to Mitzi.

There are several things which make me think this review is from an irate telemarketer. First, why bother with a revie “a few days” after the call. Would you still be angry enough to post this negative review?

Second, there’s no way any receptionist would tell a prospective patient they aren’t caring for their teeth.

Third, Mitizi’s main job is to get patients to come to the office. So why would she refer them elsewhere?

Fourth is the fact that she dismissed the second telemarketer about an hour before the review appeared.

Ironically, while typing this post I’ve received an email from The Profitable Dentist.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Don't know what the rest of your reviews look like but if that is the only negative review you have (or one of only a handful), as one who reads reviews regularly, I would ignore it. It would not keep me from trying you if I was looking for a new dentist. If I see a business/product with a ~four star rating with mostly 3-4-5 star ratings and only a handful of 1-2 star ratings most likely the low reviews are wrong and chronic complainers. Give the readers of your reviews the benefit of the doubt they can see the big picture and not one complainer.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
the bolded text is wonderful advice. i have to remind myself of that weekly.
I just keep a bottle of Jack Daniels in my desk drawer and have a couple of sips of it, get up from my desk, walk around the office for a few minutes before I respond to an email or a post on the non-sports board. ;)

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
We get calls everyday from dental telemarketers, mostly about how to increase productivity. There are hundreds of these companies and I receive daily email, and weekly snail mail and phone calls. I’m not interested in speaking with these people and Mitzi knows that so she screens them for me.

We suspect “Dr Presley” is a telemarketer since his lackeys would not disclose the nature of their call to Mitzi.

There are several things which make me think this review is from an irate telemarketer. First, why bother with a revie “a few days” after the call. Would you still be angry enough to post this negative review?

Second, there’s no way any receptionist would tell a prospective patient they aren’t caring for their teeth.

Third, Mitizi’s main job is to get patients to come to the office. So why would she refer them elsewhere?

Fourth is the fact that she dismissed the second telemarketer about an hour before the review appeared.

Ironically, while typing this post I’ve received an email from The Profitable Dentist.
I was just curious of the context/back story on those calls. That info makes it make sense.

My office was a dentist office over 20 years ago. We still get mail for that dentist, even though we used to mark the envelopes and send them back. Heck, our office was rebuilt in 2011 and we had to rotate our entrance to a perpendicular road, which triggered a new address. The mail kept coming to the dead dentist, but to our new address. Those folks marketing to you must be pretty dang aggressive.

Last edited:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I was just curious of the context/back story on those calls. That info makes it make sense.

My office as a dentist office over 20 years ago. We still get mail for that dentist, even though we used to mark the envelopes and send them back. Heck, our office was rebuilt in 2011 and we had to rotate our entrance to a perpendicular road, which triggered a new address. The mail kept coming to the dead dentist, but to our new address. Those folks marketing to you must be pretty dang aggressive.
Yeah, I used to work for a company that had 27 employees, 4 of those were dentists. They would spend upwards of $60,000 per year, every year to teach us how to sell dentistry. It’s a very profitable industry with good travel so they are very aggressive.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Yeah, I used to work for a company that had 27 employees, 4 of those were dentists. They would spend upwards of $60,000 per year, every year to teach us how to sell dentistry. It’s a very profitable industry with good travel so they are very aggressive.
For probably the first 10 years, we'd have drop-ins asking if the dentist was in. When they were told it was now an engineering office, they'd reply that they used to go to Dr. X all of the time. Uh, it's been a decade. Please define all of the time for me.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Whoa whoa whoa.......why hurt his dog? What did the poor dog do to deserve losing his head?

I know it's a figure of speech you are trying to use but please.....perhaps something like "I would leave a big bag of doo doo." instead of man's best friend.

Great advice so far otherwise.....:wink:
Because you only cross this Dentist once Bazza [emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Here’s my first draft:

[FONT="]Hi Thomas, thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m very sorry to hear you had a bad experience on the telephone before even getting to our office. I’ve shown your review to Mitzi and I can assure you that my staff and I take our reviews seriously. We would love to have you as a dental patient. If you would like to resolve this issue please contact me at [EMAIL="fotfrocks@gmail.com"]fotfrocks@gmail.com[/EMAIL]. I’m certain we can find a solution amicably.[/FONT]
[FONT="]Very sincerely,[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT="]Joe Widner[/FONT]
Joe, I think this is a well thought out and respectful response. You can only control so much in how people behave, but I believe as NT said, "respond like a businessman" is sound advice.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.