Kliff Kingsbury, the new Lane Kiffin. Failing Upward? (Hired by Arizona Cardinals)

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
If you are going to use the term then be prepared to defend its use.

Most people who use it are more referring to him going to the Raiders with no HC experience and getting the Alabama OC job after being fired from USC. Even if we throw away the context of Al Davis literally saying " I want the next John Madden" referring to hiring a coach with no HC experience under 35 that would be a near lifer, you still have to defend the "failing" part of the term. I think having the best offenses under Pete Carroll. with 3 NC contentions, and 2 Heismans (3 if you count Carson) isn't exactly "failing" upwards into a job.
Outkickthecoverage.com

If there’s one thing that consistent about Kiffin, it’s that he always manages to fail upwards.
Lane Kiffin, Lord Commander of Failing Upwards, is going to be on the wrong end of many jokes this week.
Thecomeback.com
Over the past several years, Lane Kiffin defined a similar expression: “failing upward.”
Fox sports.com
Ten years after skyrocketing to the top, Lane Kiffin is starting over. ... the time seen as yet another example of him failing upward — in bringing him aboard the nation's most powerful program
Golf digest
Kiffin could not stop failing upward, even as he left a trail of burning bridges in his wake.
The ringer.com
After years of failing upward, Lane Kiffin might finally be back on a conventional career path.
Bama Hammer.com
Kiffin was brought in recently to consult with Alabama on offensive strategy. ... among fans who only know Kiffin as the brash young coach who has seemingly failed upward his whole career .
The huffington post
Still, after one disappointment after another, Kiffin seemed to be a young coach that failed, but failed upwards.
The Atlantic magazine
In the process of writing this, I asked Twitter which actor, athlete or coach has "failed up" most blatantly. The responses complicated any easy theory about "failing up."
Numerous people suggested Lane Kiffin (at left), the current football coach at USC. He's a decent choice, having endured troubled runs with the
The Dallas Morning News
Sabin: How Alabama coach Nick Saban saved Lane Kiffin's career ... For that, Kiffin said he is grateful. The man accused of failing upwards has made his mark under Saban. "

Al.com
If Kiffin keeps falling upwards, he just might be the next president of the United States. ... The NCAA enforcement staff originally had alleged that Kiffin “failed to promote an atmosphere for ..
SBnation.com
Former Tennessee and current FAU head coach Lane Kiffin has been mentioned a good bit -- Just let the man keep failing upwards.
I don’t have to defend anything, I’m not going to post anything else about it. That is a known saying , I think I proved that from articles across sports, including a Bama internet publication.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I don’t think it’s that as much as there wasn’t that much interest in Kingsbury when he was employed, but once he was terminated, and hired by USC NFL teams were falling all over themselves to interview him. I think the biggest reason is the direction of football in general, and recent changes in the rules. Plus he is credited with developing Patrick Mahomes, although they were ONLY A .500 team with Mahomes at QB.
Mrs. Basket Case thinks Kingsbury's cute.

TIFWIW.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Outkickthecoverage.com

Thecomeback.com

Fox sports.com

Golf digest

The ringer.com

Bama Hammer.com
Again you aren’t effectively defending the term, or making a case that he is similar to kingsbury. All you are doing is using Clay Travis and Fox Sports as your ammo. Hardly above Skip bayless and Danny kannell level journalists.

definition:

fail upwards
unknown

To repeatedly get fired but consistently find a new job that are better than the one you just lost.

"She's never had a job for more than two years without geting canned and now she's a VP. I've never seen anyone fail upwards better than she does."
If your argument is going from a probation ridden blue blood and having decent success to being the OC at Alabama is failing upwards, then Muschamp, Oregeron, and dare I say Gene Stallings are way worse at it. Clay Travis first used that term when kiffin ditched Tennessee. Even then it was a ridiculous term applied to him because its hard to argue that Tennessee is a better job than Oakland. So basically a volunteer homer has given him that distinction. The term is mostly used for the Jeff fishers, Tom couglins, and the Romeo Crommells of the world who get premier jobs after failing at lower jobs. I don’t think kiffin really applies to that distinction if anything he is the opposite imo

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Again you aren’t effectively defending the term, or making a case that he is similar to kingsbury. All you are doing is using Clay Travis and Fox Sports as your ammo. Hardly above Skip bayless and Danny kannell level journalists.

definition:

If your argument is going from a probation ridden blue blood and having decent success to being the OC at Alabama is failing upwards, then Muschamp, Oregeron, and dare I say Gene Stallings are way worse at it. Clay Travis first used that term when kiffin ditched Tennessee. Even then it was a ridiculous term applied to him because its hard to argue that Tennessee is a better job than Oakland. So basically a volunteer homer has given him that distinction. The term is mostly used for the Jeff fishers, Tom couglins, and the Romeo Crommells of the world who get premier jobs after failing at lower jobs. I don’t think kiffin really applies to that distinction if anything he is the opposite imo
Well , I will add this one last. It isn’t a Tennessee saying. I’ve added, Dallas morning news , Atlantic magazine, huffington post, SBNation, GOLF DIGEST, AL.com, there are literally thousands of references from publications across all forms of news , sports and entertainment. I’m not sparring , this is the end. BTW, Tom Coughlin is a lock as a Hall of Fame coach.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Well , I will add this one last. It isn’t a Tennessee saying. I’ve added, Dallas morning news , Atlantic magazine, huffington post, SBNation, GOLF DIGEST, AL.com, there are literally thousands of references from publications across all forms of news , sports and entertainment. I’m not sparring , this is the end. BTW, Tom Coughlin is a lock as a Hall of Fame coach.
He’s not asking for references to media outlets saying it. He’s asking why you believe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
He’s not asking for references to media outlets saying it. He’s asking why you believe it.

It is a question, that’s why I put the question mark at the end! BUT Yes, I do believe he may be the New Lane Kiffin, failing upward poster boy because he really didn’t do anything to suggest he would be a great fit in the NFL or as a head coach. 35-40 record including 3 years with what looks like the next great NFL QB. But he asked about Lane Kiffin, I told him in the other post it was a known term , not my words.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Yeah that was what I was getting at. Clay Travis started applying the term to Kiffin once he left in the middle of the night at Tennessee, and folks started to pile on once Kiffin became a villain and went to Alabama after being fired by USC. I'm not really saying that it is a correct distinction or an incorrect one, more that its an odd distinction of how its been mostly applied. Like I said it is usually applied to coaches that get premier jobs after failing miserably at lower jobs. I just never have seen Kiffin fitting that distinction. I was more asking for the OP to state why he believed it instead of it being a copy of Clay Travis's rant from 2009 on.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
It was a question , thus the question mark? I never said it was my opinion. My assertion was it was a nationally used term , which I more than proved. I don’t think it was a Clay Travis coined term either and this is a quote from your original post
Most people who use it are more referring to him going to the Raiders with no HC experience and getting the Alabama OC job after being fired from USC.
So that would be pre UT days , by your own admission. This has gotten to the absurd, my original and only opinion is that this is a known phrase , read through all my posts, I never once offered my opinion of Lane Kiffin, this thread is about Kliff Kingsbury. I asked the question will Kliff Kingsbury be known as the new Lane Kiffin by talking heads. There was no position to defend, you never had a different opinion of Lane Kiffin because I never gave an opinion of Lane. regardless of where or when it started. Goodbye to this thread! For good

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It was a question , thus the question mark? I never said it was my opinion. My assertion was it was a nationally used term , which I more than proved. I don’t think it was a Clay Travis coined term either and this is a quote from your original post

So that would be pre UT days , by your own admission. This has gotten to the absurd, my original and only opinion is that this is known , regardless of where or when it started. Goodbye to this thread! For good
This has gotten absurd because you, but if you can’t take someone with a different opinion then that’s fine. To each their own, but a simple “IMO” or a “ agree to disagree” would’ve worked a whole lot better than running to hills with condescending remarks. IMO. This topic isn’t that deep to get bent out of shape with.

But anyways good night

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1083205578724438016

And who has the first overall pick in the NFL Draft?

(Highly unlikely since they took Josh Rosen in the first round last year, but still funny.)

Maybe that is why they hired him. Nothing else about that hire makes a lick of sense.

Rosen can easily be traded away, to another perennial loser. Do the Jets need a QB? Or the Bills? I bet the Dolphins need one. (Don't know.....................maybe I should ask Gray what is the status of the other 31 NFL teams.)

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.