Kliff Kingsbury, the new Lane Kiffin. Failing Upward? (Hired by Arizona Cardinals) - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Kliff Kingsbury, the new Lane Kiffin. Failing Upward? (Hired by Arizona Cardinals

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    How did Kiffin fail upward? Yeah the Raiders job seems odd on the surface, but if you really look at what Al Davis was looking for Kiffin was a pick that made sense at the time. The guy was coordinator for 3 Heisman winners and was a part of a near 3 peat as a coordinator. I wouldn't call that failing... maybe a little wishful thinking on Al Davis's part of nabbing another John Madden.

That’s not just something I made up, that’s pretty much a known OPINION that Lane did nothing to deserve the High Profile coaching jobs in the NFL or NCAA. Just google Kiffin failing upward and there are literally pages of responses with articles in the Atlantic magazine, 247 sports, barstool sports, sports boards and even Golf Digest. So if you have a problem with me using a known term, I guess you could write the Internet. I’m just borrowing a term.
    Last edited by bamaga; January 9th, 2019 at 11:17 PM.
    to 16 and beyond........

Re: Kliff Kingsbury, the new Lane Kiffin. Failing Upward? (Hired by Arizona Cardinals

People act like Kliff was 2-10 at Texas Tech. They went 5-7, and thatís with having three different QBs because of injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    People act like Kliff was 2-10 at Texas Tech. They went 5-7, and that’s with having three different QBs because of injuries.

I don’t think it’s that as much as there wasn’t that much interest in Kingsbury when he was employed, but once he was terminated, and hired by USC NFL teams were falling all over themselves to interview him. I think the biggest reason is the direction of football in general, and recent changes in the rules. Plus he is credited with developing Patrick Mahomes, although they were ONLY A .500 team with Mahomes at QB.
    to 16 and beyond........

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bamaga View Post
    That’s not just something I made, that’s pretty much a known OPINION that Lane did nothing to the High Profile coaching jobs in the NFL or NCAA. Just google Kiffin failing upward and there are literally pages of responses with articles in the Atlantic magazine, 247 sports, barstool sports, sports boards and even Golf Digest. So if you have a problem with me using a known term, I guess you could write the Internet. I’m just borrowing a term.
    If you are going to use the term then be prepared to defend its use.

Most people who use it are more referring to him going to the Raiders with no HC experience and getting the Alabama OC job after being fired from USC. Even if we throw away the context of Al Davis literally saying " I want the next John Madden" referring to hiring a coach with no HC experience under 35 that would be a near lifer, you still have to defend the "failing" part of the term. I think having the best offenses under Pete Carroll. with 3 NC contentions, and 2 Heismans (3 if you count Carson) isn't exactly "failing" upwards into a job.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

Hannibal

BamaNation All-American

Every now and then the NFL has to take a break from hiring the special teams or whatever coach of some other NFL team (picked at random) to make some other sort of really dumb hire. I don't see what's so surprising, it's just a continuation of the NFL's proud and completely uninterrupted history of doing dumb things.

That said, I kind of hope it works out. And it may! Unless you're the Patriots, most things in the NFL have about a coin flip's chance of working out.
    Last edited by Harmost; January 9th, 2019 at 05:50 PM.

I donít think itís that as much as there wasnít that much interest in Kingsbury when he was employed, but once he was terminated, and hired by USC NFL teams were falling all over themselves to interview him. I think the biggest reason is the direction of football in general, and recent changes in the rules. Plus he is credited with developing Patrick Mahomes, although they were ONLY A .500 team with Mahomes at QB.
    Before he took the USC job, there was talk of NFL teams being interested. None could talk to him as they were still in season. He, for some reason, took the USC job before NFL teams made their decisions.

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideMan09's Avatar

That is a "What Have You Done Lately" type hire for sure..A Head scratcher actually..

If you are going to use the term then be prepared to defend its use.

Most people who use it are more referring to him going to the Raiders with no HC experience and getting the Alabama OC job after being fired from USC. Even if we throw away the context of Al Davis literally saying " I want the next John Madden" referring to hiring a coach with no HC experience under 35 that would be a near lifer, you still have to defend the "failing" part of the term. I think having the best offenses under Pete Carroll. with 3 NC contentions, and 2 Heismans (3 if you count Carson) isn't exactly "failing" upwards into a job.
    Outkickthecoverage.com

If there’s one thing that consistent about Kiffin, it’s that he always manages to fail upwards.
    Lane Kiffin, Lord Commander of Failing Upwards, is going to be on the wrong end of many jokes this week.
    Thecomeback.com
    Over the past several years, Lane Kiffin defined a similar expression: “failing upward.”
    Fox sports.com
    Ten years after skyrocketing to the top, Lane Kiffin is starting over. ... the time seen as yet another example of him failing upward — in bringing him aboard the nation's most powerful program
    Golf digest
    Kiffin could not stop failing upward, even as he left a trail of burning bridges in his wake.
    The ringer.com
    After years of failing upward, Lane Kiffin might finally be back on a conventional career path.
    Bama Hammer.com
    Kiffin was brought in recently to consult with Alabama on offensive strategy. ... among fans who only know Kiffin as the brash young coach who has seemingly failed upward his whole career .
    The huffington post
    Still, after one disappointment after another, Kiffin seemed to be a young coach that failed, but failed upwards.
    The Atlantic magazine
    In the process of writing this, I asked Twitter which actor, athlete or coach has "failed up" most blatantly. The responses complicated any easy theory about "failing up."
    Numerous people suggested Lane Kiffin (at left), the current football coach at USC. He's a decent choice, having endured troubled runs with the
    The Dallas Morning News
    Sabin: How Alabama coach Nick Saban saved Lane Kiffin's career ... For that, Kiffin said he is grateful. The man accused of failing upwards has made his mark under Saban. "

Al.com
    If Kiffin keeps falling upwards, he just might be the next president of the United States. ... The NCAA enforcement staff originally had alleged that Kiffin “failed to promote an atmosphere for ..
    SBnation.com
    Former Tennessee and current FAU head coach Lane Kiffin has been mentioned a good bit -- Just let the man keep failing upwards.
    I don’t have to defend anything, I’m not going to post anything else about it. That is a known saying , I think I proved that from articles across sports, including a Bama internet publication.
    Last edited by bamaga; January 9th, 2019 at 08:25 PM.
    to 16 and beyond........

FB|BB Moderator

I don’t think it’s that as much as there wasn’t that much interest in Kingsbury when he was employed, but once he was terminated, and hired by USC NFL teams were falling all over themselves to interview him. I think the biggest reason is the direction of football in general, and recent changes in the rules. Plus he is credited with developing Patrick Mahomes, although they were ONLY A .500 team with Mahomes at QB.
    Mrs. Basket Case thinks Kingsbury's cute.

TIFWIW.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 81usaf92's Avatar

Outkickthecoverage.com

Thecomeback.com

Fox sports.com

Golf digest

The ringer.com

Bama Hammer.com
    Again you aren’t effectively defending the term, or making a case that he is similar to kingsbury. All you are doing is using Clay Travis and Fox Sports as your ammo. Hardly above Skip bayless and Danny kannell level journalists.

definition:

fail upwards
    unknown

To repeatedly get fired but consistently find a new job that are better than the one you just lost.

"She's never had a job for more than two years without geting canned and now she's a VP. I've never seen anyone fail upwards better than she does."
    If your argument is going from a probation ridden blue blood and having decent success to being the OC at Alabama is failing upwards, then Muschamp, Oregeron, and dare I say Gene Stallings are way worse at it. Clay Travis first used that term when kiffin ditched Tennessee. Even then it was a ridiculous term applied to him because its hard to argue that Tennessee is a better job than Oakland. So basically a volunteer homer has given him that distinction. The term is mostly used for the Jeff fishers, Tom couglins, and the Romeo Crommells of the world who get premier jobs after failing at lower jobs. I don’t think kiffin really applies to that distinction if anything he is the opposite imo
    Last edited by 81usaf92; January 9th, 2019 at 08:09 PM.

Again you aren’t effectively defending the term, or making a case that he is similar to kingsbury. All you are doing is using Clay Travis and Fox Sports as your ammo. Hardly above Skip bayless and Danny kannell level journalists.

definition:

If your argument is going from a probation ridden blue blood and having decent success to being the OC at Alabama is failing upwards, then Muschamp, Oregeron, and dare I say Gene Stallings are way worse at it. Clay Travis first used that term when kiffin ditched Tennessee. Even then it was a ridiculous term applied to him because its hard to argue that Tennessee is a better job than Oakland. So basically a volunteer homer has given him that distinction. The term is mostly used for the Jeff fishers, Tom couglins, and the Romeo Crommells of the world who get premier jobs after failing at lower jobs. I don’t think kiffin really applies to that distinction if anything he is the opposite imo
    Well , I will add this one last. It isn’t a Tennessee saying. I’ve added, Dallas morning news , Atlantic magazine, huffington post, SBNation, GOLF DIGEST, AL.com, there are literally thousands of references from publications across all forms of news , sports and entertainment. I’m not sparring , this is the end. BTW, Tom Coughlin is a lock as a Hall of Fame coach.
    to 16 and beyond........

Well , I will add this one last. It isnít a Tennessee saying. Iíve added, Dallas morning news , Atlantic magazine, huffington post, SBNation, GOLF DIGEST, AL.com, there are literally thousands of references from publications across all forms of news , sports and entertainment. Iím not sparring , this is the end. BTW, Tom Coughlin is a lock as a Hall of Fame coach.
    Heís not asking for references to media outlets saying it. Heís asking why you believe it.

-- Coach Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    He’s not asking for references to media outlets saying it. He’s asking why you believe it.

It is a question, that’s why I put the question mark at the end! BUT Yes, I do believe he may be the New Lane Kiffin, failing upward poster boy because he really didn’t do anything to suggest he would be a great fit in the NFL or as a head coach. 35-40 record including 3 years with what looks like the next great NFL QB. But he asked about Lane Kiffin, I told him in the other post it was a known term , not my words.
    to 16 and beyond........