Kliff Kingsbury, the new Lane Kiffin. Failing Upward? (Hired by Arizona Cardinals)

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
The NFL has adopted the Big 12 approach in that offense sells tickets. However, this is simply not true. Fans want a good product and a regular contender in their division, especially in a smaller market team like Arizona. This franchise has fallen quite far since the days of Warner and playing in the Super Bowl. They have also wasted one of the greatest WR talents in modern NFL history in Larry Fitzgerald. So, I would say this is par for the course for them.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Just wondering that question. Get fired at a mediocre job. Get hired by SC( Bama’s opponent in 2020) , only to have NFL teams fall all over themselves to hire you as a head coach!

http://http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25715541/arizona-cardinals-hire-kliff-kingsbury

The off-season is officially here, and we would of played against his offense in 2020 if not for this hire
I also find this to be absolutely hilarious. The guy gets fired at Texas Tech. Texas Tech! He immediately gets hired as OC by USC. I could understand this hire because many people say that Kingsbury has a great offensive mind. Then, the Cardinals, a team from the highest level of football in the world, hire him as head coach. Huh? So, it seems he wasn't fit to be a head coach at Texas Tech, a middle of the road college program at best, but he is the perfect fit to be a head coach in the NFL. Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me, but congratulations to him.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Just wondering that question. Get fired at a mediocre job. Get hired by SC( Bama’s opponent in 2020) , only to have NFL teams fall all over themselves to hire you as a head coach!

http://http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25715541/arizona-cardinals-hire-kliff-kingsbury

The off-season is officially here, and we would of played against his offense in 2020 if not for this hire
How did Kiffin fail upward? Yeah the Raiders job seems odd on the surface, but if you really look at what Al Davis was looking for Kiffin was a pick that made sense at the time. The guy was coordinator for 3 Heisman winners and was a part of a near 3 peat as a coordinator. I wouldn't call that failing... maybe a little wishful thinking on Al Davis's part of nabbing another John Madden.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Most of you have it wrong. The NFL is a copycat/fad league. This is a "Fad" hire. NFL GM's are looking for that next aggressive young offensive mind ala Sean McVay. Its all this is. Its a risk and a gamble though. Its either going to pay off big or end badly.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The good news for Kingsbury is, in two years when he is fired he will walk away with an even bigger chunk of money. Only in American sports can you be rewarded for abject failure.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
How did Kiffin fail upward? Yeah the Raiders job seems odd on the surface, but if you really look at what Al Davis was looking for Kiffin was a pick that made sense at the time. The guy was coordinator for 3 Heisman winners and was a part of a near 3 peat as a coordinator. I wouldn't call that failing... maybe a little wishful thinking on Al Davis's part of nabbing another John Madden.

That’s not just something I made up, that’s pretty much a known OPINION that Lane did nothing to deserve the High Profile coaching jobs in the NFL or NCAA. Just google Kiffin failing upward and there are literally pages of responses with articles in the Atlantic magazine, 247 sports, barstool sports, sports boards and even Golf Digest. So if you have a problem with me using a known term, I guess you could write the Internet. I’m just borrowing a term.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
People act like Kliff was 2-10 at Texas Tech. They went 5-7, and that’s with having three different QBs because of injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
People act like Kliff was 2-10 at Texas Tech. They went 5-7, and that’s with having three different QBs because of injuries.

I don’t think it’s that as much as there wasn’t that much interest in Kingsbury when he was employed, but once he was terminated, and hired by USC NFL teams were falling all over themselves to interview him. I think the biggest reason is the direction of football in general, and recent changes in the rules. Plus he is credited with developing Patrick Mahomes, although they were ONLY A .500 team with Mahomes at QB.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
That’s not just something I made, that’s pretty much a known OPINION that Lane did nothing to the High Profile coaching jobs in the NFL or NCAA. Just google Kiffin failing upward and there are literally pages of responses with articles in the Atlantic magazine, 247 sports, barstool sports, sports boards and even Golf Digest. So if you have a problem with me using a known term, I guess you could write the Internet. I’m just borrowing a term.
If you are going to use the term then be prepared to defend its use.

Most people who use it are more referring to him going to the Raiders with no HC experience and getting the Alabama OC job after being fired from USC. Even if we throw away the context of Al Davis literally saying " I want the next John Madden" referring to hiring a coach with no HC experience under 35 that would be a near lifer, you still have to defend the "failing" part of the term. I think having the best offenses under Pete Carroll. with 3 NC contentions, and 2 Heismans (3 if you count Carson) isn't exactly "failing" upwards into a job.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Every now and then the NFL has to take a break from hiring the special teams or whatever coach of some other NFL team (picked at random) to make some other sort of really dumb hire. I don't see what's so surprising, it's just a continuation of the NFL's proud and completely uninterrupted history of doing dumb things.

That said, I kind of hope it works out. And it may! Unless you're the Patriots, most things in the NFL have about a coin flip's chance of working out.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don’t think it’s that as much as there wasn’t that much interest in Kingsbury when he was employed, but once he was terminated, and hired by USC NFL teams were falling all over themselves to interview him. I think the biggest reason is the direction of football in general, and recent changes in the rules. Plus he is credited with developing Patrick Mahomes, although they were ONLY A .500 team with Mahomes at QB.
Before he took the USC job, there was talk of NFL teams being interested. None could talk to him as they were still in season. He, for some reason, took the USC job before NFL teams made their decisions.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.